• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
kuchar does it!
Good on him. Was hoping Fowler would go back-to-back tbh but pretty happy with Kuchar getting it done.

How great would a 4 man playoff on the 17th have been though? Was quietly hoping Kuchar would double the last just to make it interesting.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rory played terribly to miss his second cut in a row - be interesting to know whether any other world no.1 has achieved a similar "feat"

grecian

Donald is clearly the best player in the world right now
Only in the tournaments that don't matter. Differing opinions, but majors are what makes me rate players, the rest is just meh.

He's very good though, and I feel the next two majors may just be right for him.

Last edited:

social

Only in the tournaments that don't matter. Differing opinions, but majors are what makes me rate players, the rest is just meh.

He's very good though, and I feel the next two majors may just be right for him.
Whilst Tiger is still relatively young, he will be the elephant in the room until someone else strings a few majors together

Might be Rory but almost certainly wont be Westwood or Donald

social

Rory misses 3rd cut in a row

Tiger has missed 3 in his entire career

Having said that, I'm tempted to put some money on Rory in the next major as a player with his talent has to bounce back sometime and the odds will probably be a bit more tempting

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
is this another tease from tiger that would end in disappointment at olympic fields or is he finally ready to be in contention on the back nine on sunday at a major?

grecian

is this another tease from tiger that would end in disappointment at olympic fields or is he finally ready to be in contention on the back nine on sunday at a major?
Don't think his game is quite up to an US Open, still too many unforced errors, think he could have a real chance at the other two though.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I think he's certainly closer this time around than he was heading in to the Masters in April. Watched his press conference after he won yesterday, he reckons he's more confident hitting the ball higher and landing it softly than he was a month or two ago.

Sounds like Olympic Fields is gonna be ridiculously tough. I really hope Tiger wins tbh, mostly just to shut all the people up who keep going on about McIlroy and Fowler. They might be the future but right now they've still got nothing on Woods.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think his game is quite up to an US Open, still too many unforced errors, think he could have a real chance at the other two though.
yeah he is definitely not doing it consistently week in week out yet...so the u.s open is likely to be a letdown for him...why do you think he has a better chance at the open? also who are your picks for the u.s open?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think he's certainly closer this time around than he was heading in to the Masters in April. Watched his press conference after he won yesterday, he reckons he's more confident hitting the ball higher and landing it softly than he was a month or two ago.

Sounds like Olympic Fields is gonna be ridiculously tough. I really hope Tiger wins tbh, mostly just to shut all the people up who keep going on about McIlroy and Fowler. They might be the future but right now they've still got nothing on Woods.
when does tiger not sound confident? and that was right after a win...i would love to see him win but i don't think he is quite there yet...i can understand the hype about mcilroy but packaging fowler up with him is ridiculous...they are just not at the same level regardless of fowler's recent hot streak and mcilroy's corresponding ice-cold one...

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
when does tiger not sound confident? and that was right after a win...i would love to see him win but i don't think he is quite there yet...i can understand the hype about mcilroy but packaging fowler up with him is ridiculous...they are just not at the same level regardless of fowler's recent hot streak and mcilroy's corresponding ice-cold one...
Yeah Fowler's 84 on Sunday certainly showed he's not the finished product yet.

You're right, Tiger probably isn't quite there yet but I'd suggest he's close enough for everyone else to start thinking about him. When he's hitting it as close as he was in that last tournament he isn't far away.

If not Tiger then I'd really like to see someone like Westwood or Garcia win. Or Cabrera. He always seems to contend. But probably my biggest hope is Ernie Els - not sure if he even gets an automatic qualification though so might not be there.

grecian

yeah he is definitely not doing it consistently week in week out yet...so the u.s open is likely to be a letdown for him...why do you think he has a better chance at the open? also who are your picks for the u.s open?

Ahh, just realised it's at Lytham, hmm, 200 bunkers might not be ideal, still his course management is good, should think he'd be able to hit a lot of irons off the tee, unlike at the UsOpen.

Dunno about my picks, Kuchar, Mahan could do well, and Rose could be the surprise packet. All hit a lot of greens.

Last edited:

grecian

So D. Johnson won last night, brilliant that after backing him for ages I'd given up after his injuries. Still interesting to see him in form. Shouldn't think he's an USOpen contender, but should do well at Lytham, the way he plays in the wind, along with Paul Lawrie who really could shock a lot of people with his second major.

Westwood incredibly impressive with his new Irons though, he's my New pick for the USOpen.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
woods, furyk, toms, mcdowell in contention on saturday, lots of guys who can win...westwood needs to make a major move to be in the mix on sunday...mcilroy was a big surprise, donald not so much...

grecian

If woods wins this it will be an incredible piece of will-power, and will make us start talking about all-time great sportsman again. He's just been incredibly in control on a course that doesn't really suit him, other than the length. People often ignore the immaculate guys in greatness, the Nicklaus, Laver, Federer, Bradman, Jordan, Pele types, because they weren't faced with adversity, even if it was self-inflicted, Ali, Best, Maradonna types are often the one's spoke up.

Tiger was almost the perfect golfer once, but coming back would make or a bigger story.

grecian

Lee could be in a decent position at the end of the day, would pile in at 5s, if I didn't already have major wedge at 13s.