• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
right that was exactly like he became a little more emboldened in his public remarks because he sensed tiger was in a weaker position and he very likely thought woods was too dependent on him to consider letting him go...if he was a true friend and loyal, and he genuinely felt he had to make those comments to him, he would have done so in private...
Maybe he did, and then made them again when asked by the press. We don't know. According to reports in the press (which may or may not be accurate) Tiger comes across as a bit or a egomaniacal control freak...if this is true (which it might be of quite a few top sportspeople), then it might have been a case of Williams putting up with it through the years for the money (as you initially suggested).

Reading some media reports its been suggested that Williams apologised to the media for the way he treated them when he was with Tiger and also hung out with the other caddies for the first time in 12 years after leaving Tiger's stable. It seems there was an element of control Tiger imposes on those under his employment, so maybe Williams had a few years of pent up frustration to unleash!

I'm not saying he did it in the right way though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe he did, and then made them again when asked by the press. We don't know. According to reports in the press (which may or may not be accurate) Tiger comes across as a bit or a egomaniacal control freak...if this is true (which it might be of quite a few top sportspeople), then it might have been a case of Williams putting up with it through the years for the money (as you initially suggested).

Reading some media reports its been suggested that Williams apologised to the media for the way he treated them when he was with Tiger and also hung out with the other caddies for the first time in 12 years after leaving Tiger's stable. It seems there was an element of control Tiger imposes on those under his employment, so maybe Williams had a few years of pent up frustration to unleash!

I'm not saying he did it in the right way though.
what i meant was he would have done so only in private...in any case it is quite possible that the above is what happened...it was not bonded-labor though, he was free to walk whenever he wanted to...i just mean he doesn't really deserve all the sympathy and adulation that the media and fans are heaping on him...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Also Bill Haas wins $11m in FedEx Cup. Who?
exactly! he is a good not-very-young player who he hadn't won at all all year before the tour championship and the points system still allowed him to come out of top...there was a lot of flux, suspense and some exciting play towards the end and i understand that golf is different from other sports in that it throws up surprise winners more often and there is more parity in the game than in others but it just shows what is wrong with the system/format when an almost no-name leads the tour money list just by narrowly winning the last tournament of the season (that too a shortened field in a no-cut format)...i remember the first year of the fedex cup where finchem was clearly desperate for woods to win just to validate the cup format...and it was won by the best players each year...even last year furyk won 3 times and was the best pga tour player although he didn't contend at any majors...but for mine haas winning this year has exposed the hollowness of the format and makes me yearn to see a real champion dominate the sport again...

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Apparently Haas didn't know he'd wont he $10 million!!

He went up to ge the trophy for winning the tournament, and there were two trophies there, and they presented him with both.

So he looked over to his wife and said "I won the Fedex Cup too?!" And she had to convince him it was the case.

Brilliant stuff. And of course the man's wife would know he had just pocketed an extra $10 million.

grecian

Really thrilling finish to the Solheim, Munoz and Pettersen were immense. I still wanted O'Toole to win against Hedwell, , umm for personal reasons....

Haas may be an average player, as was his dad all I remember, but he deserved the 10 mill for the shot on the beach

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Really thrilling finish to the Solheim, Munoz and Pettersen were immense. I still wanted O'Toole to win against Hedwell, , umm for personal reasons....

Haas may be an average player, as was his dad all I remember, but he deserved the 10 mill for the shot on the beach
that was a lucky shot and he acknowledged it especially the spin he generated...

grecian

that was a lucky shot and he acknowledged it especially the spin he generated...
Of course it's lucky 99% of great golf shots are, how do you get an exact reaction on the ball, considering, wind, greens, lies. Lucky is the sport, the guy still caught it clean, from a ridiculous lie, not even on the course, had confidence to play it right at the hole. It was lucky but he did everything to ensure that it would be "lucky", almost like every other great sporting moment in history.

It was ****ing incredible, IMHO.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Of course it's lucky 99% of great golf shots are, how do you get an exact reaction on the ball, considering, wind, greens, lies. Lucky is the sport, the guy still caught it clean, from a ridiculous lie, not even on the course, had confidence to play it right at the hole. It was lucky but he did everything to ensure that it would be "lucky", almost like every other great sporting moment in history.

It was ****ing incredible, IMHO.
agreed it was a stupendous shot to pull off given the circumstances...i am just saying it was a very lucky result for him....in any case my opinion on haas as a player and the format of the fedex cup doesn't change because of that one shot...i was hoping against hope that donald would win it or at least simpson...as it is the event has the stigma of being mostly a money grab and little else but the quality of the players who won in the previous years was some sort of validation of the format....this year, the hollowness was exposed when bill haas who hadn't won at all throughout the year won the whole thing...

grecian

are you related to her or something?:)
No, I'm not related to her, but she's hot, google image her.

BTW, I agree about the lack of quality at the top of the game now, but not really sure what can be done. Seems a lot of multi-millionaires, happy to pick up the cheques without the drive to be great.

social

For me, one of the best things about golf this year has been having full coverage of the European Tour for the first time in years.

Its been great to see courses and players that you're not familiar with and some have been eye-openers

In terms of courses, I'm really keen to go to:

a. Korea - they may not have won rave reviews but looked really interesting (ones I saw were in the mountains and had huge undulations) plus the food and booze is great

b. Italian Alps - ****ty course but amazing scenery & hotel plus the food, etc

c. Sun City - thank you Nedbank Classic, wife has finally agreed to take our family vacation at Sun City next summer

d. the one beside the Kruger National Park - course is just ok but was set on a river inhabited by crocs and hippos whilst lions, giraffes and rhinos wandered around on the other bank (absolutely amazing place)

e. Valderama - must be able to get a deal in Spain!

f. Ireland - pretty much anywhere bar the K Club (if I want to play an American style course, I'll do it in a place with decent weather!)

Of the players, IMO the talent pool is not as deep as the PGA Tour but the top guys are obviously right up there and there are lots of good younger players e.g. Tom Lewis

2 eye openers were:

a. Louis Oosthuizen - what a swing! If the guy could putt he'd be a world beater every week

b. Graham McDowell - basically the opposite. Plays so many really bad shots (and I'm talking duck hooks, the lot) with a very dodgy swing that you'd never guess he was a world class golfer. Reckon that he's likely to go the way of a Sandy Lyle and fall off the radar very soon

Anyway, all in all, it has been a great change from watching the PGA Tour and I thoroughly recommend it

Last edited: