• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah he can teach her to win majors although i doubt it...and she can teach him to....maybe squeal while he takes a swing...:)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in other news, world no: 20 :-Owoods splits with williams...
One of the great sporting partnerships really, think it's the wrong way for Tiger, think he should be going back to basics with Harmon & Williams.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha.

Definitely not an amicable split, judging from Williams' comments in the NZ media. He's not holding back.

shivfan

Banned
At first, I was sympathetic to Williams, but having heard his reactions, I now think Woods was right to sack him....

How many of us can openly tell our bosses, who pay our salaries, that they have to prove themselves worthy of our respect?
:laugh:

Last edited:

_Ed_

I think Williams has every right to feel aggrieved. He was fiercely loyal to Woods throughout all his hardships of the last 18 months, and this is how he gets thanked for that loyalty and support?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think Williams has every right to feel aggrieved. He was fiercely loyal to Woods throughout all his hardships of the last 18 months, and this is how he gets thanked for that loyalty and support?
but why was he so "loyal"?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You'd have to ask him that. Even he's questioning it now, saying it feels like he's wasted the last two years.
he says he lost a lot of respect for the guy, immediately after the news came out claimed moral high ground that he had no clue this was going on and would've blown the whistle had he known(yes he said that at the time)...and now he says he was showing his loyalty to the guy all this time...none of what he says rings particularly true to me...for mine, he was much more loyal to the huge paychecks tiger(and by extension he) used to make(as to whether he knew what was going on is anyone's guess), he clung on hoping those good old days would come back and before anything good happened, he got the boot...enough to make a man bitter and regret the past 18 months as a waste of his time...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well done scott! that was a terrific win! and steve williams is making himself even more of a joke than ever by his bitter, pointed "greatest win of my life" comments...

flibbertyjibber

well done scott! that was a terrific win! and steve williams is making himself even more of a joke than ever by his bitter, pointed "greatest win of my life" comments...
To be fair to him after losing the best job then he probably feels like it is.

Regardless of our personal thoughts on him and Tiger you can imagine how sweet it would feel to be carrying the bag of a winner so soon after being sacked.

Burgey

At first, I was sympathetic to Williams, but having heard his reactions, I now think Woods was right to sack him....

How many of us can openly tell our bosses, who pay our salaries, that they have to prove themselves worthy of our respect?
:laugh:
All the time.

benchmark00

Steve Williams is the biggest bell end going around.

Fair dinkum. The bloke taking credit for Scott and Woods' wins is a disgrace. He walks around holding a set of club and just reaffirms what the player already knows. Yet he's some sort of hero!

It's like the court sweepers taking credit for Michael Jordan's career in basketball. Pull your head in Williams.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it is incredible to see how woods' game is going to pieces...he seems to be projecting a complete denial of the shambles it has become...sad, when he plays his best, he elevates the game to heights no one has ever taken it to before...hope he can bring some of that magic back eventually...

Son Of Coco

but why was he so "loyal"?
It's obvious he was hoping Tiger would come good and they'd continue on as they had before. This would also mean he'd be the highest earning caddy in the game. But to suggest it was purely for a paycheck is a bit rich I think, especially given they'd had a player/caddy relationship (thought I'd better not just write 'relationship' when Tiger's involved :happy:) for a long time.

Williams could have easily abandoned Tiger when the **** hit the fan, but he didn't. This is a show of loyalty. I don't think any of us are in a position to question what it was based on.

Tiger tore his career apart all by himself, and when a bloke's income is based on the player he works for actually playing the game then it's a pretty big show of support to not just switch camps and go off and caddy for someone else immediately. Especially given the circumstances. I'd imagine William's recent snipes are the result of feelings that go back a lot further than when he was sacked recently.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's obvious he was hoping Tiger would come good and they'd continue on as they had before. This would also mean he'd be the highest earning caddy in the game. But to suggest it was purely for a paycheck is a bit rich I think, especially given they'd had a player/caddy relationship (thought I'd better not just write 'relationship' when Tiger's involved :happy:) for a long time.

Williams could have easily abandoned Tiger when the **** hit the fan, but he didn't. This is a show of loyalty. I don't think any of us are in a position to question what it was based on.
you said it in your first statement why he couldn't/wouldn't have abandoned tiger that easily...obviously i am guessing here so are you by the way...one more thing, during that period he also made a fair amount of holier-than-thou public comments and criticisms about his employer...have you seen a caddy (or any employee for that matter) do that to an employer and last long at the job? again i am guessing here but those comments likely had something to do with tiger parting ways with him...i am not supporting woods for what he has done, it's none of my business anyway and i don't really care how he lives his life, but williams was clearly a prick before and he continues to be one now...

Tiger tore his career apart all by himself, and when a bloke's income is based on the player he works for actually playing the game then it's a pretty big show of support to not just switch camps and go off and caddy for someone else immediately. Especially given the circumstances. I'd imagine William's recent snipes are the result of feelings that go back a lot further than when he was sacked recently.
no it's not...tiger made him a very rich man and even when he was injured/out of form he showed glimpses of what he used to be, what he could be especially in majors...there was no reason at the time for williams to think that tiger wouldn't overcome this and return to form...and there was no reason for him to think at the time that long-term he would earn more with another player....

Son Of Coco

you said it in your first statement why he couldn't/wouldn't have abandoned tiger that easily...obviously i am guessing here so are you by the way...one more thing, during that period he also made a fair amount of holier-than-thou public comments and criticisms about his employer...have you seen a caddy (or any employee for that matter) do that to an employer and last long at the job? again i am guessing here but those comments likely had something to do with tiger parting ways with him...i am not supporting woods for what he has done, it's none of my business anyway and i don't really care how he lives his life, but williams was clearly a prick before and he continues to be one now...

no it's not...tiger made him a very rich man and even when he was injured/out of form he showed glimpses of what he used to be, what he could be especially in majors...there was no reason at the time for williams to think that tiger wouldn't overcome this and return to form...and there was no reason for him to think at the time that long-term he would earn more with another player....
I'm sure William's comments at the time didn't help him keep his job too...but if he was purely concerned about the bottom line would he have made those comments in the first place? You seem to suggest his loyalty was based on the cash he earned from caddying for Woods. In making the comments he did at the time (and then later on as well) it seems that he may not have been overly concerned about money at the time, and was just disappointed at what had happened.

Lets face it, one of the top caddies in the game won't have too many problems making a buck, whether it be with Woods or someone else. If money bought his loyalty then he would've switched a while back to somebody who was performing a bit better than Woods. When you have the choice to caddy for the best players in the world, you're already earning ****loads...it then becomes a matter of degrees. And yes, when Tiger was the best the difference would've been quite large I'd imagine.

Williams may or may not be a prick. His comment last week was pretty weird after Scott won, and it's obviously strange to suggest that particular victory was the best moment in his career. We all know it was a crack at Tiger, and it sounded like sour grapes at being dumped. He didn't go about it the right way in taking the spotlight away from Scott, and he's acknowledged as much.

After years of not being able to talk to the media under Tiger, maybe he got a bit carried away :happy:

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sure William's comments at the time didn't help him keep his job too...but if he was purely concerned about the bottom line would he have made those comments in the first place? You seem to suggest his loyalty was based on the cash he earned from caddying for Woods. In making the comments he did at the time (and then later on as well) it seems that he may not have been overly concerned about money at the time, and was just disappointed at what had happened.
right that was exactly like he became a little more emboldened in his public remarks because he sensed tiger was in a weaker position and he very likely thought woods was too dependent on him to consider letting him go...if he was a true friend and loyal, and he genuinely felt he had to make those comments to him, he would have done so in private...