• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
amd mcdowell does it! havret the suprise package at this championship...the 3 superstars bunched together behind them...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, we've been waiting 14 years for a winner, and they and Westwood have certainly got the game. I'm not sure about their temperament at the top level though, think we'll have a Norn winner before them, TBH. Yet it's a wide open tournament, so who knows, it's a better betting event then the Grand National this week.
Hey I called it, may not have meant McDowell at the time, it has to be said......

grecian

Well we'll see about the Ryder Cup, but Rose is just incredible ATM. Makes it all the more farcical he didn't play in the USOpen, but there ya go.

grecian

so who's gonna take out the old course this time?
Dunno, weathers going to be filthy though, so the scores are going to be high. Can probably rule out the likes of Phil, doesn't like playing links golf at the best of times.

So it really opens out for Europeans and Saffies. The Irishmen will particularly like it.

Fancy Rose, Padraig, McIlroy, and as outsiders Scwartzel and Clarke.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate watching golf but there's something special about the British Open when it's at St. Andrews... kind of like an Ashes Test at Lords or Wimbledon, Centre Court. Just oozes history and tradition. I think Tiger Woods won it there last time if I'm not mistaken.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno, weathers going to be filthy though, so the scores are going to be high. Can probably rule out the likes of Phil, doesn't like playing links golf at the best of times.

So it really opens out for Europeans and Saffies. The Irishmen will particularly like it.

Fancy Rose, Padraig, McIlroy, and as outsiders Scwartzel and Clarke.
what about westwood and els? both are in good touch coming in...

grecian

what about westwood and els? both are in good touch coming in...
Lee's got an injury, and bottles it obviously. Ernie is a decent shout though, got the game for St Andrews, odd he hasn't won it there before really.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Lee's got an injury, and bottles it obviously. Ernie is a decent shout though, got the game for St Andrews, odd he hasn't won it there before really.
right i forgot about westwood's injury but ernie should contend this year...

grecian

Well one of my tips is deadset last. which is nice. Scoring quite good, and Daly on fire. Not a massive surprise to see him doing well, as he loves it here, but 7 under after 11, is a bit of a shock.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
rory mac lit it up...good rounds for daly(!), woods and a lot of folks including westwood, o'hair....harrington messed up in the beginning and couldn't recover enough...let's see what happens when the weather gets dirty...

social

Put a few bucks on Tiger

Despite all the crap in his life, he's still easily the best player in the world

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
louis oosthuizen needs to come back to the pack for anyone else to have a chance...and given what happened today, it is very possible tomorrow...

Son Of Coco

Interesting day yesterday on the golf course it seems! Will have to see if I can catch some of it tonight and tomorrow night. The reports are that the weather will continue to be bad over the weekend so it could make for some good viewing.

grecian

Well, certainly the late starters yesterday had the worse of the conditions, but that's Links golf. The guy leading is a decent player and you can't rule him out, but I think anyone could still win this, even someone who just shoots a 68 amongst the early starters, then the weather gets up.

Tiger should be fave and he actually played a great round tee-to-green in the worst conditions, but his putting is just not Tiger anymore. All his dropped shots yesterday were from makable par putts, which he used to drill in nine times out of ten.

Yeah, I know the conditions weren't easy for putting, but it's been systematic of his game for a while.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rank amateurishness of the camera work at the British Open always makes me laugh.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tiger should be fave and he actually played a great round tee-to-green in the worst conditions, but his putting is just not Tiger anymore. All his dropped shots yesterday were from makable par putts, which he used to drill in nine times out of ten.
tiger won't win...there is a whole bunch of players with a great chance...