• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He certainly did and good for him, held himself together well getting two pars on that beast of an Eighteenth after his brain fart on 17.

Only his second Euro tour win (not first like the idjit comms said), and both well into his forties becoming a theme of golf around the world.

Mind you he's a multiple winner on the Sunshine and Asia tours.

I actually wonder if the reason this type of thing never happened before was the late-developers before just couldn't financially remain as a pro-tour golfer, so had retired before this could happen. There used to be older winners before but they'd generally be multiple-winners from their youth. Now they can make a very good living ranked about 100 in the world or/and picking up money on the lesser tours.

Anyway, I quite like it as an old git myself:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just to give a few of our golf lovers the Tom ****, thought I'd let you all know I'm having a hit at Terrey Hills GC on Thursday. It's a fantastic private course in the northern part of Sydney.
Terrey Hills Golf Club

Of course, it's all just a warm up for The Pines at Sanctuary Cove come October (though not sure i'm happy with the AGU rating of 76!).

Son Of Coco

Just to give a few of our golf lovers the Tom ****, thought I'd let you all know I'm having a hit at Terrey Hills GC on Thursday. It's a fantastic private course in the northern part of Sydney.
Terrey Hills Golf Club

Of course, it's all just a warm up for The Pines at Sanctuary Cove come October (though not sure i'm happy with the AGU rating of 76!).
The Pines is tough! We got to play 27 holes on it one year for the Gold Coast championships, took my new golf clubs out for the round and duly shot 91. A good mate who had been to the AIS shot 65 there though.

Off the back plates there are some holes you just look at off the tee and think, "Where the **** am I supposed to hit this!?"

The 18th played into the wind and it was driver, 2 iron to get close to the green. (It's a par 4).

I think it might be one of the toughest courses I've played.

Burgey

Jeez that's good to know. Thanks :(

Flying up for a hit at The Grand tomorrow. Heard it's really good too. Can't wait.

Son Of Coco

Jeez that's good to know. Thanks :(

Flying up for a hit at The Grand tomorrow. Heard it's really good too. Can't wait.
Yeah, is that where The Australian Open was held that Stu Appleby won in 2001 (or 2000?). It's a nice course. Never played there myself, it's too expensive haha Gold Coast courses are ridiculously priced compared to Melbourne.

Burgey

True, though fortunately I have a mate who's a member so we're not having to pay for it. Apparently they pick us up at the airport in a limo, have a champagne brekky, then golf and lunch, then fly back! Unbelieveable.

What financial crisis?

Son Of Coco

True, though fortunately I have a mate who's a member so we're not having to pay for it. Apparently they pick us up at the airport in a limo, have a champagne brekky, then golf and lunch, then fly back! Unbelieveable.

What financial crisis?
:laugh:

Gee that's alright...if you want to fly past Masan, South Korea I'll be up for a hit!

Burgey

Well, The Grand was, umm grand really. Very interesting layout. The tees were right back at the Aussie Open boxes, so it was a real test. Very up and down round from YT, but got the cash with some solid putting on the last few holes.

Watching the President's Cup here - FMD, any chance of an international player buying a putt at all? Unbelieveable the number of near misses today. Must say Adam Scott has vindicated Norman's faith thus far.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the President's Cup here - FMD, any chance of an international player buying a putt at all? Unbelieveable the number of near misses today. Must say Adam Scott has vindicated Norman's faith thus far.
yeah scott has played well so far, ogilvy has been surprisingly poor though...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it just takes a few good rounds by mickelson for johnny miller to proclaim him as the world's best...and then when the guy goes back to his usual inconsistent self, miller shuts up only to pipe up again when the next few good rounds come...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
ryo ishikawa really looks like a superstar in the making...:), woods, mickelson and stricker put the hammer on the international team pretty good...

Burgey

Agree re Ryo. Looks quality.

Thought Norman messed up a fair few of his pairings tbh. Then to have YE up against Tiger in singles just gave Woods even greater motivation to beat him after YE tossed him in the last major.

Would have had Ogilvy v Tiger tbh.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Would have had Ogilvy v Tiger tbh.
in my opinion, it should've been clark vs tiger...he beat him earlier in the year in match play(although this would have increased tiger's motivation as well..:)) plus he played great throughout the week...

Burgey

Yeah fair point, unless he thought Tiger was running so hot it didn't matter, so he saved Clark & Ogilvy for other matches. Then again, Stricker was killing it more than Tiger in the four ball and foursomes.

Son Of Coco

Well, The Grand was, umm grand really. Very interesting layout. The tees were right back at the Aussie Open boxes, so it was a real test. Very up and down round from YT, but got the cash with some solid putting on the last few holes.

I haven't been back to The Grand since the Open there in 01 or whenever it was. Would love to play it, but that might have to wait a while. Have played Moonah Links Open course on the Mornington Peninsula and that was fantastic! Except for the part where you aim at the marker on top of the hill off the tee, hit it over it and then get up to find your ball halfway up an embankment in the rough :happy:

The course has it all though, blind shots off the tee, heavily undulated fairways (so much so that on one hole if you can't drive the corner you're hitting from the fairway unsighted and up a roof-high hump in the middle of the fairway. Played the last hole off the blacks and after the drive you're deciding whether you want to hit a 3 wood/long iron and try to clear some traps dotted in the middle of the fairway or lay up short of them and hit a long/mid-iron in.

Not sure if you've played there but if you get a chance it's well worth it. Cape Schank is also good.

Last edited:

Burgey

Haven't got to any of the Melbourne courses unfortunately. Would love to play both those you've mentioned, as well as the standards like Huntingdale, RM and KH. There are so many good ones around. Would like to get to WA as well - mate of mine played The Cut - said it was awesome.

Generally love blind tee shot holes, not because I'm good or anything, just because of the mystery of them. NSW has about 3 or 4 amazing blind tee shots, including a magical par 5 that plays straight over a hill dsown to the water. With a Northerly you can reach it easily in two, with a Southerly, you're lucky to get to the top of the hill which is only about 180 metres away.

Played Barnbougle Dunes in Northern Tassie, which was amazing - $80 bucks, a full public course - it's seriously good. Incredibly windy though - there was a comment in the visitor's book how a putt on the 7th rolled a foot past the hole, only for the wind to blow it back in!

Son Of Coco

Haven't got to any of the Melbourne courses unfortunately. Would love to play both those you've mentioned, as well as the standards like Huntingdale, RM and KH. There are so many good ones around. Would like to get to WA as well - mate of mine played The Cut - said it was awesome.

Generally love blind tee shot holes, not because I'm good or anything, just because of the mystery of them. NSW has about 3 or 4 amazing blind tee shots, including a magical par 5 that plays straight over a hill dsown to the water. With a Northerly you can reach it easily in two, with a Southerly, you're lucky to get to the top of the hill which is only about 180 metres away.

Played Barnbougle Dunes in Northern Tassie, which was amazing - $80 bucks, a full public course - it's seriously good. Incredibly windy though - there was a comment in the visitor's book how a putt on the 7th rolled a foot past the hole, only for the wind to blow it back in!
I watched The Masters at Kingston Heath a couple of years ago, the course looks amazing. Have never played there though. Public courses are very reasonably priced on the Mornington Peninsula compared to the Gold Coast. $50 gets you a course as good as $100 on the coast.

Some of my mates played Barnbougle a few months back and said it was awesome. It's the no.1 rated course in Australia isn't it?

I enjoyed the blind shots too, it's such a challenge and makes you think about what you're doing. Unfortunately distances can be a bit of a guess first time round on a course, but it all adds to the fun.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Then again, Stricker was killing it more than Tiger in the four ball and foursomes.
not really although johnny miller tried his best to create that impression, the first couple of days their performance was pretty even, both played well and won both matches very comfortably...on saturday morning, both struggled and was in danger of losing the match until tiger made a clutch birdie on the 17th and then a gorgeous iron onto the 18th green....saturday afternoon was when stricker really lit it up and poured in the putts from everywhere...

ripper868

International Coach
Had my first round of golf in 12 months yesterday, whilst hungover, only played 9 holes and shot a 47, was reasonably happy given I was using hire clubs. Failed to reach ladies tee on the third however, proceeded to buy drinks on return to clubhouse.