• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well..tim clark proves to be the giant-killer at the wgc...:-O
I don't think Woods'll be that disappointed though. He looked perfectly fit, he was just understandably rusty. My doomsday scenario seems to be unlikely. I was looking forward to a Woods-McIlroy match though :(

Yesterday was a good day for Blighty, McIlroy, Fisher, Wilson, Casey, Poulter and Donald. Massive win for Oliver Wilson over Anthony Kim:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
mcilroy was briefly in contention at the honda classic but faded away on the weekend...yang seems to be a lock to win right now...anyone know anything about this guy?

grecian

mcilroy was briefly in contention at the honda classic but faded away on the weekend...yang seems to be a lock to win right now...anyone know anything about this guy?
Know nowt about him I'm afraid, he looked good though.

What's happened to Allenby's putting nowadays, he was Garcia-esque in that tournament. time for the broom-handle methinks. I only care coz it cost me money, normally happy to see an Aussie choke obviously:)

McIlroy very impressive I thought. I just really hope he doesn't go to play on the American tour full-time. Jack Nicklaus was saying how tough the US tour is nowadays, because there's so many good players that a lot of the younger players don't get used to being in contention, so they seem unable to close it out.

The thing is the likes of Faldo, Norman, Singh, Els, Ballesteros, Langer, Woosnam, Lyle and now Harrington all were multiple winners on lesser tours before they played the main American tour. They got used to winning, nowadays the Europeans go straight there as soon as they can. This is why the likes of Donald, Rose and even Casey haven't fullfilled their potential, IMHO. Mind you they're all millionaires, so I doubt they care. Yet I feel they're all capable of winning majors :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
jeev milkha singh with a share of the lead after the 1st round..:)

mickelson sharing the lead after 18...:@

tiger in at 1 under to tie for 40th...:-O

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
This is why the likes of Donald, Rose and even Casey haven't fullfilled their potential, IMHO. Mind you they're all millionaires, so I doubt they care. Yet I feel they're all capable of winning majors :(
all three are quite young and have a lot of time to do it...wouldn't count them out yet...:)

grecian

all three are quite young and have a lot of time to do it...wouldn't count them out yet...:)

Yeah I guess you're right, golfer's peak about 32-33 normally. They and Rose in particular just feels like they've been around forever.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
jeev milkha singh falls down the leaderboard after the 2nd round..:down:

mickelson in the lead after 36...:@

tiger in at 3 under to tie for 35th...:no:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
jeev milkha singh scrambles back up the leaderboard to t3 after saturday..:)

mickelson still sharing the lead after 54...:@:bann:

tiger with his best round so far in at 7 under to tie for 19th...:mellow:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
jeev milkha singh finishes 4th..:)

mickelson wins...:@

tiger with a bogey-free 4 under round ties for 9th...:mellow:

grecian

johnny miller is a real dick-weed...
Is he? whats he been saying?

We got the Sky golf comms, not great, but Butch Harmon was good on Tigers swing, and of course he coaches Mickelson and Watney.

Anyway, thought it was an enjoyable tournament, good mixture of the old guard and the new. Watney, Quiros, Villegas all put in good showings and can hit it miles without any fear. Phil was Phil, flakey, whacking it in the bushes and occasionally mercurialy brilliant. Got to hand it to the guy though, he knows how to win.

Woods looks right on course, his short game holding him back, but that's just rustiness, should be on his A game when the Masters trundles around.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Is he? whats he been saying?
for some time i've been getting the impression from his commentary that he desperately wants mickelson to be anointed the greatest but just has to grudgingly admit to tiger's superiority...some of his criticisms when tiger plays well are downright ridiculous, like he doesn't like tiger swearing when he hits a bad shot or he doesn't like him spitting while walking on the fairway!

at the wgc he finally got his chance and there was an interesting exchange between him and roger maltbie on sunday where he declared that when mickelson bombs his drives 300+ yards, he is the best player in the world, maltbie countered by saying he knew one player who could still beat him and miller was able to "triumphantly" come back with tiger being 8 shots back at the time or something...as if that one performance proved his "point" completely....

his "saying it like he sees it" has never really impressed me in the slightest, for example during last year's u.s open, he commented on how he couldn't imagine someone named rocco as the u.s open champion...had to apologize for it later...there is a thin line between honesty and meanness and i don't think he knows where it is...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, thought it was an enjoyable tournament, good mixture of the old guard and the new. Watney, Quiros, Villegas all put in good showings and can hit it miles without any fear. Phil was Phil, flakey, whacking it in the bushes and occasionally mercurialy brilliant. Got to hand it to the guy though, he knows how to win.

Woods looks right on course, his short game holding him back, but that's just rustiness, should be on his A game when the Masters trundles around.
yeah mickelson was brilliant around the greens and deserved to win...and yeah woods looks like he is right back on track....bay hill should be fun if woods ramps it up a few notches and mickelson holds his form...

grecian

Miller is annoying, when he said Lehman had topped a perfect chip the last tournament, was just trying to be controversial, hate comms like that.

Where's Faldo, has the rights gone to another company or summat:unsure:

Don't really keep up with the American rights.

Anyway, Woods within one at Arnies tournament.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
and wins!!! the tiger is back!!!:) with a thriller on the back nine as usual...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Miller is annoying, when he said Lehman had topped a perfect chip the last tournament, was just trying to be controversial, hate comms like that.

Where's Faldo, has the rights gone to another company or summat:unsure:

Don't really keep up with the American rights.

Anyway, Woods within one at Arnies tournament.
faldo commentates for the golf channel, doesn't he(although i haven't seen him as much this year now that you mention it)? miller has been a regular for nbc sports for several years now...