• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Harrington again? What a great run.

I'd like to see Garcia win one though. Dunno how many better chances he'll get than this tourney with no Tiger there.
you should have seen the intense look on harrington's face during the back nine as soon as he started smelling victory...the commentators were saying that he probably didn't blink even once during the last 9 holes...:)

and yes, garcia is really due, in fact overdue, he played beautifully over the first 15 holes, then a bad judgement on 16th and a missed short putt on the 17th and harrington pounced...

happy for jeev milkha singh, playing with a hurt ankle, got his 1st top 10 finish in a major, hopefully it won't be the last...

Last edited:

1-9-7-7

International Regular
read today that Harrington gets a million for just appearing at a tourney.
Didn't realise he's a fully qualified accountant as well.
Someones got it made.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great win for Pod, as I've taken to calling him, knowing a good bandwagon when I see one. First European winner at the PGA since, well, ever, actually.

Now has more majors than Greg Norman too... :ph34r:

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
read today that Harrington gets a million for just appearing at a tourney.
Didn't realise he's a fully qualified accountant as well.
Someones got it made.
A win in a US major plus his current dominance in majors has no doubt open the US market to him so he'll really be rolling in it now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Great win for Pod, as I've taken to calling him, knowing a good bandwagon when I see one. First European winner at the PGA since, well, ever, actually.
do you not recognize the irish as british or is it the other way round?:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
singh takes the deutsche bank championship as well in magnificent fashion..he is really laughing in the face of some smart-ass arm-chair analysts on golf channel who tried to paint him as a old, decrepit has-been...:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
singh wins the 1st two playoff events, villegas wins the next two, singh finishes first, villegas finishes second, garcia loses another sudden-death playoff, these last couple of weeks must really sting for him...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, too very exciting tournaments today on the two main tours. Westwood and Garcia losing out, quelle suprise.

Its hard to feel sympathy for them (particularly Sergio) when they carry on making millions without ever winning much of note, though. They're both such whining muppets, Sergios talk of Harrington being lucky (yeah of course it has nothing to do with him having a twenty-times better temperament then you8-) ) and Lee with his "oh the nasty crowds were all loud and frightful" stuff.

Anyway I think I did pick Villegas to be big this year. I backed him to win about 130 quid for the last one, but was going to leave him this week as I felt he was too short. Yet I needed some change for the bus, so I put the princely sum of one pound on at Laddys to win at 12-1. Almost as chuffed at that as I was with the bigger win, tbh.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, too very exciting tournaments today on the two main tours. Westwood and Garcia losing out, quelle suprise.

Its hard to feel sympathy for them (particularly Sergio) when they carry on making millions without ever winning much of note, though. They're both such whining muppets, Sergios talk of Harrington being lucky (yeah of course it has nothing to do with him having a twenty-times better temperament then you8-) ) and Lee with his "oh the nasty crowds were all loud and frightful" stuff.

Anyway I think I did pick Villegas to be big this year. I backed him to win about 130 quid for the last one, but was going to leave him this week as I felt he was too short. Yet I needed some change for the bus, so I put the princely sum of one pound on at Laddys to win at 12-1. Almost as chuffed at that as I was with the bigger win, tbh.
yeah that's true, one win can possibly be considered a fluke(although harrington was already a top 10 player when he won in carnoustie), but 3 out of 6 is just totally impressive...i guess one way to look at it is that garcia and westwood whine when they lose but they are both exceptionally talented(temperamentally suspect as you mentioned) and probably expect to win more, hence the grumpiness when they lose...

grecian

Am watching Botham play golf, ATM.

Has to be said, better golfer then commentator.....

grecian

Hmm, that's interesting. I have a betting slip in my grubby little hands, 40p (yeah I know last of the big punters) each-way patent. Paula Creamer at 14s, Charles Howell at 80s and Martin Kaymer at 28s. They currently are all in the lead or joint leads in their respective tournaments:unsure:

I'd just be happy if they all got placed, TBH.

grecian

203 quid, I made, not bad. Would of been about 150 more if Kaymer had holed either of his short putts at the 17th or 18th.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just to rub it in to fellow golf lovers here, having a hit at Cape Kidnappers on Friday. Here's some pics Looks fantastic. Shame I'm a **** golfer.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Just to rub it in to fellow golf lovers here, having a hit at Cape Kidnappers on Friday. Here's some pics Looks fantastic. Shame I'm a **** golfer.
look at it this way, you will be able to spend more time around the course, "cover" it more thoroughly than a better golfer...:cool: