• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Helps that some of the top ladies haven’t been playing that well
Yeah, the Koreans in particular seem to have gone right off the boil. From dominating for a decade, they're not winning much at all now.

Also, Lilia Vu who has won 2 of the last 5 is struggling with a back injury and pulled out of this.

My favorite players, Nelly and Lydia are both playing well...so far. :)
More of a Charley Hull fan myself, she's not started well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the Koreans in particular seem to have gone right off the boil. From dominating for a decade, they're not winning much at all now.

Also, Lilia Vu who has won 2 of the last 5 is struggling with a back injury and pulled out of this.

More of a Charley Hull fan myself, she's not started well.
I like Hull, just been a fan of Ko ever since she burst on to the scene as a 14 year old prodigy…sadly she has dropped back into the pack after a good opening round. Nelly is just a shot off the lead though…

Molehill

International Captain
Hilton Head shouldn't necessarily have been a good course fit for Scheffler, it should certainly have given more players a chance. But he's just too good again. Although, would be funny if Meredith went into Labour overnight and he quit with 3 holes to play and a 5 shot lead!! Interesting fact though is that this will be the first tournament he's won in a season after a Masters.

Nelly getting the job done too, slightly less authoritative, but no less impressive.

A couple of weeks off for Scotty now before the PGA at Valhalla - which is where Rory won the last of his Majors exactly a decade ago. It'll give him a chance, but it should be another perfect match for Scheffler. He should be about 6-4 (Tiger would've been in a run of form like this), but no doubt 4-1 will be available.

Molehill

International Captain
Was chatting with a couple of mates (both decent ex cricketers) at the weekend and trying to think of which cricketers are the best golfers. I seem to remember both Ponting and ABDV are scratch players, Punter could've been a lot better had he gone down that route I believe. Those natural sportsmen, very annoying. I know KP takes his golf very seriously but never got below about 4. Most of the England team are always out there, but not sure there's any seriously talented ones amongst them.

Any others that come to mind?

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig Kieswetter worth a shout. Retired from cricket after a head injury and ended up turning pro at Golf after Leadbetter suggested it. Earned his card on the MENA tour so must have been pretty decent. Crawley and Brook are meant to be the best of the current lot. Crawley's off 1. There's an article about the England team's golf exploits on Cricinfo that says:
Brook is not far off Crawley himself, and became partners with his Sunrisers Hyderabad coach Brian Lara in India. They took pride in an unbeaten record for the first half of the IPL, but were eventually beaten by Marco Jansen and the professional at Hyderabad Golf Club.
Brook and Lara vs Jansen and the Hyderabad Pro is quite the four ball

Molehill

International Captain
Craig Kieswetter worth a shout. Retired from cricket after a head injury and ended up turning pro at Golf after Leadbetter suggested it. Earned his card on the MENA tour so must have been pretty decent. Crawley and Brook are meant to be the best of the current lot. Crawley's off 1. There's an article about the England team's golf exploits on Cricinfo that says:

Brook and Lara vs Jansen and the Hyderabad Pro is quite the four ball
If Crawley is off 1 whilst playing pro cricket, you can probably assume he could shave another 2 or 3 off that if he wasn't.

One of my mates was a decent Lancashire League batsman and now a 6 handicap. He still reckons that despite not having played cricket for over 15 years that it inhibits his golf swing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers was off 1 left handed and 8 right handed

Ted Dexter was reputedly the best & declined an invitation to play professionally in America

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’m
If Crawley is off 1 whilst playing pro cricket, you can probably assume he could shave another 2 or 3 off that if he wasn't.

One of my mates was a decent Lancashire League batsman and now a 6 handicap. He still reckons that despite not having played cricket for over 15 years that it inhibits his golf swing.
Different arm & hand movements

Many cricketers slice a golf ball as they’re used to keeping the face open after contact in cricket

Molehill

International Captain
Different arm & hand movements

Many cricketers slice a golf ball as they’re used to keeping the face open after contact in cricket
Yes they are, but my mate always says in his bad swings he can almost feel himself playing a forward defensive shot.

Natural sportsmen are thoroughly annoying. Played with the Club Champ on Sunday, we were chatting about the London Marathon (on at same time) as I knew he was a decent runner too......has a 2 hour 30 min marathon to his name as well. Wanker!!

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain

The full video of Bryson trying to break par with the junior clubs is fascinating. He's so ridiculously talented and pair that with how knowledgeable he is about how the clubs are going to move, flex and work means he can still deliver them into the right positions and hit properly good shots. He's putting out some great content at the minute.