• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Firstly, the average DPWT field is of very ordinary standard

Secondly, those guys are professionals and uber competitive. Might as well call the IPL an exhibition if we’re going down that rabbit hole
It's not a rabbit hole, the IPL is an exhibition.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
“Exhibition Tour” & “Blood Money” are 2 of the most laughably hypocritical criticisms of LIV

The RBC Heritage is an invitation only, no cut event - it’s literally LIV plus 18 holes and typical of elevated events

Are they exhibitions?

The PGAT’s naming rights sponsor is a massive investor in Saudi

The PGAT’s investors raise money from Saudi

The owner of DPWT’s (of which the PGAT is a shareholder) naming rights sponsor has been accused in a British court of kidnapping and domestic violence plus the country has a terrible human rights record

Jack Nicklaus earns millions per year in <wait for it> Saudi fkn Arabia

Blood money?

Can understand parochial Americans being PGAT fanboys but not international golf fans

Molehill

International Captain
I seem to remember people talking about spieth morikawa and maybe keopka winning a grandslam?
I could also be completely wrong.
When Spieth burst onto the scene, people did wonder. But none of them have ever showed a level of form that Scheffler is at now, where he is so far ahead of his peers. He really is at Tiger levels, whether he can maintain it as long as Tiger did seems unlikely as he's already admitted that becoming a father will take priority over golf (we all know Tiger wasn't the best Family Man).

If the ryder cup was this year and as hoped no liv players were allowed to take part which team would be worse affected?
The US picked Koepka last year anyway, so you could say their team wouldn't be impacted. Europe losing Rahm especially and now Hatton would struggle more.

A PGA v LIV Tournament would be fun, although pretty one sided I suspect, especially given how poor the International side has always been in the President's Cup.

Molehill

International Captain
Firstly, the average DPWT field is of very ordinary standard
That's quite the myth. The last player to qualify for the PGA Tour from DPWT last year was Pavon - he's since won at Torrey and was a pretty handy 12th in his first Masters. These are seriously good golfers. The top 22 at the Masters featured at least 8 who had come through the European Tour.

The RBC Heritage is an invitation only, no cut event - it’s literally LIV plus 18 holes and typical of elevated events

Are they exhibitions?
It's hard to take you seriously with comments like this. Hilton Head is one of the world's most iconic courses, 35 of the Top 40 at the Masters will be there, it deserves its status as an elevated event.

At the next LIV event, 35 of the top 40 at the Masters will not be there. It will be played on some course no one has had heard of, over 54 holes with a shotgun start. It is literally nothing like the Heritage.

You need to stop thinking that the rest of the world views golf tournaments like the people in Adelaide. We are not starved of seeing the top guys - I live 40 mins from Wentworth for example. You can knock the DPWT all you like, but they get attendances at their events that LIV can only dream of. We are not all salivating at the thought of LIV coming to town. Only Adelaide has created any kind of atmosphere in the LIV world, not sure that reflects well on Aussies if truth be told.

You can knock the PGA and Nicklaus, but the human rights records are not comparable. And the PGA is not throwing out $500m just to get players to turn up to tournaments. The PGA was clearly by no means perfect, but **** me it's a whole lot better than LIV.

social

You obviously overlooked the word “average”

The British Masters with a purse of $9 million is not your average DPWT event

The vast majority of DPWT events have a purse of around $2 million and are the equivalent of a KFT event in an exotic location

Btw, the DPWT soon stages an event in that paragon of virtue China so spare me the faux outrage

As for Pavon, chances are that he will be a PGAT member next season due to the “alliance” so enjoy him while you can

Molehill

International Captain
You obviously overlooked the word “average”

The British Masters with a purse of $9 million is not your average DPWT event

The vast majority of DPWT events have a purse of around $2 million and are the equivalent of a KFT event in an exotic location

Btw, the DPWT soon stages an event in that paragon of virtue China so spare me the faux outrage

As for Pavon, chances are that he will be a PGAT member next season due to the “alliance” so enjoy him while you can
Pavon has already become a PGA Tour Member because of the alliance. I was merely pointing out that given how he has taken the PGA Tour by storm having barely scraped in as Top 10 in the DPWT last year, perhaps the quality of the DPWT is somewhat better than you think.

What both that and the KFT have in common is a lot of golfers trying to improve, battling for their livelihoods and careers. It results in competitive golf that means something. That simply doesn't happen on LIV. These guys are not battling for their lives, it really doesn't matter where they finish, they've been paid up already. It is this aspect more than any other which makes the average golf fan have zero interest in it.

social

Pavon has already become a PGA Tour Member because of the alliance. I was merely pointing out that given how he has taken the PGA Tour by storm having barely scraped in as Top 10 in the DPWT last year, perhaps the quality of the DPWT is somewhat better than you think.

What both that and the KFT have in common is a lot of golfers trying to improve, battling for their livelihoods and careers. It results in competitive golf that means something. That simply doesn't happen on LIV. These guys are not battling for their lives, it really doesn't matter where they finish, they've been paid up already. It is this aspect more than any other which makes the average golf fan have zero interest in it.
Lol

The bottom 4 finishers in LIV are relegated and replaced by the Asian Tour OOM winner and the top 3 place getters at a qualifying tournament in Abu Dhabi

Before you say “but they get guaranteed income on LIV”, PGAT rookies receive $500,000 to help with expenses in their first year

One day you’ll realise that much of what you hear from PGAT sycophants is bs

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Lol

The bottom 4 finishers in LIV are relegated and replaced by the Asian Tour OOM winner and the top 3 place getters at a qualifying tournament in Abu Dhabi
I guess the slight difference here is that the 4 who get 'relegated' have already been given huge sums of money, something their standard of golf simply doesn't deserve. I presume one of those will be Anthony Kim having served his purpose as a bizarre circus act.

social

I guess the slight difference here is that the 4 who get 'relegated' have already been given huge sums of money, something their standard of golf simply doesn't deserve. I presume one of those will be Anthony Kim having served his purpose as a bizarre circus act.
Read above

Every rookie on the PGAT is given $500k

They’re different sides of the same coin:laugh:

The PGAT’s only real problem with LIV is that it isn’t the PGAT

Molehill

International Captain
Read above

Every rookie on the PGAT is given $500k

They’re different sides of the same coin:laugh:

The PGAT’s only real problem with LIV is that it isn’t the PGAT
Er, you missed out a key point there. It's paid up front but is recouped from earnings. So it's more a loan.

Whereas in the article you linked, it says how the 3 qualifiers are guaranteed over $1.25m no matter what the quality of their golf. A reminder that you get sweet FA if you miss the cut on the PGA Tour (or any other one).

Serious question, if Dustin finished in the bottom 4 would liv enforce the relegation?
Clearly not - although given the dross that normally resides at the bottom of a LIV Leaderboard, it's never going to happen anyway.

social

Serious question, if Dustin finished in the bottom 4 would liv enforce the relegation?
Simple answer is “no” as has a guaranteed contract for 4-5 (plus he won a couple of tournaments ago so no danger of that anyway)

Lower profile guys are on shorter contracts

These are the current standings

AFAIK contract terms aren’t public but there’s talk that some older players like Westwood might be moved on

Think it’s year 3 so some of the original contracts are likely to be up for renewal sooner rather than later

Molehill

International Captain
These are the current standings

AFAIK contract terms aren’t public but there’s talk that some older players like Westwood might be moved on

Think it’s year 3 so some of the original contracts are likely to be up for renewal sooner rather than later
That table is interesting, it makes you realise why Westwood was so keen to join up - think he knew his game was all but gone and took the money, don't blame him.

The name I find sad is Mito Pereira. He's gone from being the next big thing on the PGA Tour - nearly winning a Major - to languishing down at the bottom of this League. It seems like the Latin American golfers were easy targets for LIV, keen to get money back to their families. Niemann undoubtedly has the talent to win Majors, whether he now will remains to be seen. But despite winning regularly on LIV, he doesn't seem like a happy chap. In fact, it seems like the more you win, the more unhappy you are (as you realise what you could've been achieving if you'd hung around elsewhere).

No surprise to see the Rory rumours were rubbish. Who would believe a Business Paper with no record of reporting on golf? Rory paired with Aberg for the first 2 days at the Heritage (Scheffler with Spieth), that'll be worth watching.

social

That table is interesting, it makes you realise why Westwood was so keen to join up - think he knew his game was all but gone and took the money, don't blame him.

The name I find sad is Mito Pereira. He's gone from being the next big thing on the PGA Tour - nearly winning a Major - to languishing down at the bottom of this League. It seems like the Latin American golfers were easy targets for LIV, keen to get money back to their families. Niemann undoubtedly has the talent to win Majors, whether he now will remains to be seen. But despite winning regularly on LIV, he doesn't seem like a happy chap. In fact, it seems like the more you win, the more unhappy you are (as you realise what you could've been achieving if you'd hung around elsewhere).

No surprise to see the Rory rumours were rubbish. Who would believe a Business Paper with no record of reporting on golf? Rory paired with Aberg for the first 2 days at the Heritage (Scheffler with Spieth), that'll be worth watching.
Westwood is a bit of a mystery

I know that he’s getting on a bit but he was already rich and his money was unlikely to be life changing

Game has fallen off a cliff

Molehill

International Captain
Westwood is a bit of a mystery

I know that he’s getting on a bit but he was already rich and his money was unlikely to be life changing

Game has fallen off a cliff
Not life changing, but undoubtedly more than he was going to earn on the PGA. He's got other interests, owns a few racehorses now, spends a fair bit of time watching Nottingham Forest too. I just don't think he's overly bothered by golf anymore, took the money for one last hurrah and will head off. Can't see him being one to head to the Seniors Tour, think he's probably done with the game.

social

Not life changing, but undoubtedly more than he was going to earn on the PGA. He's got other interests, owns a few racehorses now, spends a fair bit of time watching Nottingham Forest too. I just don't think he's overly bothered by golf anymore, took the money for one last hurrah and will head off. Can't see him being one to head to the Seniors Tour, think he's probably done with the game.
Don’t know enough about him tbh

There’s a couple of rankings groups that incorporate LIV and Champions Tours players in their list and they have him at about #700 which is a monumental drop off for a guy with his pedigree

The guy won the Race to Dubai 3 years ago

Molehill

International Captain
Don’t know enough about him tbh

There’s a couple of rankings groups that incorporate LIV and Champions Tours players in their list and they have him at about #700 which is a monumental drop off for a guy with his pedigree

The guy won the Race to Dubai 3 years ago
Not to mention the epic duel with DeChambeau at Bay Hill before challenging for the Players. You're right, he really dropped off fast and I'm pretty certain you can tie that in to his first fat pay cheque from LIV. Bubba another who is miles from where he was.