• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry to burst your bubble @Molehill

Rahm led the field in greens in regulation

Unfortunately, he finished dead last in putting :laugh: & that’s why he finished 45th

Given that we get the US feed & they don’t show anyone except Tiger unless absolutely necessary, can only assume that he rarely hit it close enough for a realistic birdie chance but he still must have putted atrociously

Anyway, Scheffler was way too good

Molehill

International Captain
Sorry to burst your bubble @Molehill

Rahm led the field in greens in regulation

Unfortunately, he finished dead last in putting :laugh: & that’s why he finished 45th

Given that we get the US feed & they don’t show anyone except Tiger unless absolutely necessary, can only assume that he rarely hit it close enough for a realistic birdie chance but he still must have putted atrociously

Anyway, Scheffler was way too good
A slightly misleading stat for Augusta. For example, on the par 5 8th, he'd been in the trees off the tee, chipped out to leave a 225yd approach which he got on the front of the green (pin at back). So it counted as a GIR but he was 89ft from the pin!! So yeah he 3 putted that, but the issue wasn't really the putting there. He 3 putted 15 too, but he'd left himself a 50ft downhiller for his eagle putt.

Agreed, he didn't putt well, but he wouldn't have won had he been 1 in putting. It's not just about hitting greens, but hitting them in the right places. 9 and 14 were perfect examples from Scheffler yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see what price Scheffler is this week. I don't think the course suits him as much (or rather it brings others into play more), but think he could be 3-1.

social

A slightly misleading stat for Augusta. For example, on the par 5 8th, he'd been in the trees off the tee, chipped out to leave a 225yd approach which he got on the front of the green (pin at back). So it counted as a GIR but he was 89ft from the pin!! So yeah he 3 putted that, but the issue wasn't really the putting there. He 3 putted 15 too, but he'd left himself a 50ft downhiller for his eagle putt.

Agreed, he didn't putt well, but he wouldn't have won had he been 1 in putting. It's not just about hitting greens, but hitting them in the right places. 9 and 14 were perfect examples from Scheffler yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see what price Scheffler is this week. I don't think the course suits him as much (or rather it brings others into play more), but think he could be 3-1.
Agreed & was just pulling your leg

Saw Smith interview and while he hardly made a bogey all week, he was pissed with how he played as he didn’t give himself too many good looks either

Bryson is the one whose putting really cost him

Don’t think Scheffler will be playing this week as his wife is due at any time

Ridiculous scheduling anyway

Molehill

International Captain
Agreed & was just pulling your leg

Saw Smith interview and while he hardly made a bogey all week, he was pissed with how he played as he didn’t give himself too many good looks either

Bryson is the one whose putting really cost him

Don’t think Scheffler will be playing this week as his wife is due at any time

Ridiculous scheduling anyway
Considering that Smith's LIV form had been somewhat average, thought he did petty well. But like Reed (who was number 1 putter I see), he knows how to get it round Augusta.

Hilton Head is a great course and deserves a decent field, they just shouldn't play it the week after the Masters even if it is relatively local. I think Scheffler will play as long as the baby doesn't drop.

Some somewhat curious lines from him in the pressers, I know he's a religious dude, but even so...."My victory was secure on the cross"!!

social

Considering that Smith's LIV form had been somewhat average, thought he did petty well. But like Reed (who was number 1 putter I see), he knows how to get it round Augusta.

Hilton Head is a great course and deserves a decent field, they just shouldn't play it the week after the Masters even if it is relatively local. I think Scheffler will play as long as the baby doesn't drop.

Some somewhat curious lines from him in the pressers, I know he's a religious dude, but even so...."My victory was secure on the cross"!!
Reed & Smith have 2 of the best short games in the world

The former has become very underrated due to other issues while Smith is a big tournament player

Can see Smith winning another major except for a US Open as he does spray it

Molehill

International Captain
Reed & Smith have 2 of the best short games in the world

The former has become very underrated due to other issues while Smith is a big tournament player

Can see Smith winning another major except for a US Open as he does spray it
Should go well at The Open, Troon not the longest and not dissimilar to St Andrews.

That said, only one player got within 7 of Scheffler at Augusta, and he didn't even seem to be at his best. For the first time since Tiger in his prime, people are talking about a possible grandslam.

social

Another strange week coming up on the PGAT with 2 events including an opposite field event (otherwise known as “we have too many members so need to play these things to give everyone a game”)

Here’s an idea

Cut the number of members down & you won’t need to play glorified KFT events masquerading as a genuine PGAT tournament

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Another strange week coming up on the PGAT with 2 events including an opposite field event (otherwise known as “we have too many members so need to play these things to give everyone a game”)

Here’s an idea

Cut the number of members down & you won’t need to play glorified KFT events masquerading as a genuine PGAT tournament
Dude, this opposite event setup has been in place for several years now, ever since they started the WGC tournaments (maybe after they started the Fedex cup, don't remember exactly but it's been going on a while now) which only invited the top 70 players...it's not a new concept.

Molehill

International Captain
Dude, this opposite event setup has been in place for several years now, ever since they started the WGC tournaments (maybe after they started the Fedex cup, don't remember exactly but it's been going on a while now) which only invited the top 70 players...it's not a new concept.
It should also be pointed out that it doesn't carry the same FEDEX Cup points as a normal tournament, it's not as such masquerading as a full on PGA Tour Event.

When your standard tournaments have over 150 players in, it makes sense to have over 200 members to allow for varying player schedules.

And it would still be more interesting than a 48 player, 54 hole, closed shop shotgun event!!

Tom Flint

International Regular
Should go well at The Open, Troon not the longest and not dissimilar to St Andrews.

That said, only one player got within 7 of Scheffler at Augusta, and he didn't even seem to be at his best. For the first time since Tiger in his prime, people are talking about a possible grandslam.
I seem to remember people talking about spieth morikawa and maybe keopka winning a grandslam?
I could also be completely wrong.

social

It’s rubbish

The field is substandard and that’s even allowing for massively inflated OWGR for Americans

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It’s rubbish

The field is substandard and that’s even allowing for massively inflated OWGR for Americans
Not really. One of its goals was to give an opportunity for the comparatively lower ranked players to play for some prize money and fedex cup points the same week as the big event and it has served its purpose well.

social

Would be sad if true but not surprised...it would be difficult for most people to turn down that kind of money...
No different to returning to the DPWT full time IMO as still eligible for majors etc

Just getting a much bigger cheque from LIV than Dubai for appearances

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No different to returning to the DPWT full time IMO as still eligible for majors etc

Just getting a much bigger cheque from LIV than Dubai for appearances
Yes it will be very different compared to playing the European tour full-time and not just the humongous guaranteed money. I mean a competitive 72 hole tournament vs a 54 hole exhibition golf with very little at stake from a career or prestige perspective, it is a significant change.

social

Yes it will be very different compared to playing the European tour full-time and not just the humongous guaranteed money. I mean a competitive 72 hole tournament vs a 54 hole exhibition golf with very little at stake from a career or prestige perspective, it is a significant change.
Firstly, the average DPWT field is of very ordinary standard

Secondly, those guys are professionals and uber competitive. Might as well call the IPL an exhibition if we’re going down that rabbit hole