• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Thing about golf is that people actually buy into the fact that it’s a gentleman’s game and that’s a good thing to a point

Cheats are ostracised as is generally antisocial behaviour but the reality is that it’s a microcosm of society with some good & bad guys

Tiger is another Bradman - deeply flawed human who just happens to be a sporting freak

Same can be said for Norman, Vijay, Phil, Dustin, etc
Not sure I'd categorize DJ in that group, think he might be one of the most normal amongst them.....he's just not the sharpest tool in the box. His F in L is one of the greatest sportsmen of all time and I'm not sure he even knows that!!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woke early and watched a bit of the Players lead up

Hosts were basically ****ting on the PGA Tour - most tournaments have weak fields, no player rivalries that fans can get behind, can no longer call the Players the 5th major, etc

Chamblee hates LIV and even he was sticking the boot in

Something must have happened behind the scenes

social

Not sure I'd categorize DJ in that group, think he might be one of the most normal amongst them.....he's just not the sharpest tool in the box. His F in L is one of the greatest sportsmen of all time and I'm not sure he even knows that!!
Pretty sure there were rumours of drug use and affairs with other players wives

Btw, have you seen the video of him hitting a 300 yard drive left handed?

Guy is one of those freaks who has the ability to go pro in a number of sports

Molehill

International Captain
Woke early and watched a bit of the Players lead up

Hosts were basically ****ting on the PGA Tour - most tournaments have weak fields, no player rivalries that fans can get behind, can no longer call the Players the 5th major, etc

Chamblee hates LIV and even he was sticking the boot in

Something must have happened behind the scenes
I think it was the PGA still claiming the Players as the strongest field in Golf. It was once, it's not now. That honour will probably belong to the Open or US Open I guess (given they have twice the field the Masters has). It seems to have riled even the staunchest supporters. And whilst they will defend the PGA, they all really hate Monaghan.

Could easily see Scheffler winning again this week. If he's sorted his putting woes, it's hard to see how he gets beaten. His tee to green is just so far advanced of everyone else at the mo. Rory has serious wedge issues he needs to address.

Guy is one of those freaks who has the ability to go pro in a number of sports
There's a few out there. Woodland could've been a basketball player I believe for example.

social

I think it was the PGA still claiming the Players as the strongest field in Golf. It was once, it's not now. That honour will probably belong to the Open or US Open I guess (given they have twice the field the Masters has). It seems to have riled even the staunchest supporters. And whilst they will defend the PGA, they all really hate Monaghan.

Could easily see Scheffler winning again this week. If he's sorted his putting woes, it's hard to see how he gets beaten. His tee to green is just so far advanced of everyone else at the mo. Rory has serious wedge issues he needs to address.

There's a few out there. Woodland could've been a basketball player I believe for example.
They showed Scheffler on the range and had ball tracking

Just ridiculous

Hit 3 or 4 fairway woods to within a couple of yards of each other

Also said Rory is going through swing changes which sounds nuts

Molehill

International Captain
Some fun discussions about Rory's tee shot on 7 and some weird takes, mainly from Spieth. Firstly, we all saw the ball bounce relatively high, there's zero chance it did that if it landed below the red line (right by the water). Spieth using the eyewitness accounts of people stood on the opposite side of the fairway who could have no possible view of where it landed was daft. He was beautifully shot down by Harry Diamond. Hovland mentioning turtles and Radar getting caught up in the discussions just added to the farcical nature of the situation.

I actually thought his drop on 7 was far less questionable than the one on 18. Mind you, he seemed rather more honest about where it crossed than Homa was later on, who grabbed himself an extra 80 yds or so.

Rory shooting -7 with 2 balls in the water was pretty special. His putter was hot though, didn't pass up any birdie chances and grabbed a couple he shouldn't have. Scheffler looks ominous though, cruised round in -5 barely breaking sweat.

social

Mentioned that in the preview it was said that Rory is going through swing changes

Apparently trying to hit a lower draw with a wood on some shots

Has hit at least 3 of them in the drink so far

Anyway, hopefully greens speed up to protect the course a bit

social

Packed leaderboard…looks like some scoring records are going to fall tomorrow…
They have all the means available to set a great course up as a true major test & have set it up like a ****ty tour stop instead

Shame

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Heartbreak for Clark! Scheffler the first to defend at the Players! Very articulate, likeable guy, Scheffler.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Heartbreak for Clark! Scheffler the first to defend at the Players! Very articulate, likeable guy, Scheffler.
He is likeable, and of the 4 who ended up with a chance of winning, he was the one I wanted. Clark is a bit of a muppet, Harman so annoying with his waggles and Schauffele too good a friend of Cantlay's!! Wins despite a neck injury clearly impeding him for the 2 middle rounds.

A what could've been for Fitzpatrick who managed to get beaten up all week by the short par 4 4th, played it in +5 whilst the others were all under par on it. He lost by 5!!

Not sure who beats Scheffler at the Masters, he could actually win it by more than 5 if he putts well. His tee to green is so far in advance to everyone else at the mo.

Rory needs to cut out the stupid ****. Apparently he had 7 double bogeys all last year, he's already had 5 this season (3 this week) and it's still March.

social

He is likeable, and of the 4 who ended up with a chance of winning, he was the one I wanted. Clark is a bit of a muppet, Harman so annoying with his waggles and Schauffele too good a friend of Cantlay's!! Wins despite a neck injury clearly impeding him for the 2 middle rounds.

A what could've been for Fitzpatrick who managed to get beaten up all week by the short par 4 4th, played it in +5 whilst the others were all under par on it. He lost by 5!!

Not sure who beats Scheffler at the Masters, he could actually win it by more than 5 if he putts well. His tee to green is so far in advance to everyone else at the mo.

Rory needs to cut out the stupid ****. Apparently he had 7 double bogeys all last year, he's already had 5 this season (3 this week) and it's still March.
Strange to me that a guy with one of the greatest swings in history is going through changes

From what I have seen, his wedge play has been his weakness and not the woods

Molehill

International Captain
Strange to me that a guy with one of the greatest swings in history is going through changes

From what I have seen, his wedge play has been his weakness and not the woods
Absolutely it was, and always to left pin positions where he was missing left and short siding himself (I noticed it at Bay Hill too). You can't be making bogey from 120 yds out and a wedge in your hand. He seemed more accurate from about 170 yds than he was 100. A month to sort that out, because the rest of his game looks pretty good....

social

Absolutely it was, and always to left pin positions where he was missing left and short siding himself (I noticed it at Bay Hill too). You can't be making bogey from 120 yds out and a wedge in your hand. He seemed more accurate from about 170 yds than he was 100. A month to sort that out, because the rest of his game looks pretty good....
Impossible to tell without knowing the bloke but it’s a forum so what the hell

Rory’s had a lot of disappointments lately (LIV, deceived by Monahan, passed by Brooks in major wins and by Scheffler in status, etc) and might not be thinking 100% clearly

Molehill

International Captain
Impossible to tell without knowing the bloke but it’s a forum so what the hell

Rory’s had a lot of disappointments lately (LIV, deceived by Monahan, passed by Brooks in major wins and by Scheffler in status, etc) and might not be thinking 100% clearly
Valid points. I've also noticed that when he gets into trouble off the tee, instead of doing the sensible thing of getting it back into play and relying on getting up and down for the par, he's going for the impossible shots which is where the doubles are coming from.

I'm not sure LIV or Brooks are disappointments to him. But one took up way more of his time/mind than was healthy and no doubt he's got zero time left for Monahan now.