• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Will leave it to you :laugh:

Over 2 minutes to line up a putt and not a word from officials

Ratings are down 30% from last year and this is Exhibit A

Watching Manassero trying to win on DPWT for first time in nearly 11 years
Didn’t LIV try to sign Clark?

I turned on to watch Matteo and they blew the horn!!

Best players on great course with a famous tournament they all want to win….and you complain about slow putting which is everywhere? Still don’t quite get your hatred of the PGA and love for LIV…

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
When Scheffler putts well, it's just not a fair contest. The rest of the field is lucky that those weeks have been few and far between...on to TPC Sawgrass now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn’t LIV try to sign Clark?

I turned on to watch Matteo and they blew the horn!!

Best players on great course with a famous tournament they all want to win….and you complain about slow putting which is everywhere? Still don’t quite get your hatred of the PGA and love for LIV…
I don’t hate the PGA Tour but I don’t feel sorry for an organisation that has used its financial muscle to damage other tours for years

Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Rory, Speith etc all won Australian Opens prior to the PGA going to a 12 month schedule

I don’t blame the players as they’re professionals and will go wherever the money is but there’s no doubt that the PGA Tour has been bad for the global game

LIV, which I don’t even watch, has done more to take the game around the world in 2 years than the PGA has done in the last decade

As for slow putting, that’s not entertaining & partially explains why the tv ratings for Bay Hill tanked over the first 3 days

People don’t want to watch that ****

Molehill

International Captain
First it was Rory advocating for smaller membership numbers and now it’s Wyndham Clark

Little doubt that the PGA Tour is in a strange place right now with elevated tournaments, ordinary Tour stops and opposite events where those who don’t qualify for the big events play
Clark seems an odd bloke. Apparently turned down LIV money because they didn't offer enough. He was 110th in the Fedex 4 years ago, so he'd literally be pulling the rug from under his own feet. There was also some questionable cheating stuff going on where he appeared to improve a lie in the rough (very Patrick Reed).

I don't knock Rory, he's just exploring ideas and I think genuinely cares about the future of golf, not just his bank balance. Clark???

Also, with another point of yours. The PGA Tour for the top pro's now essentially runs from Jan-Aug. The Top 50 have no need to play after that. There is no reason why they can't go to Aus, other than the fact it's a **** of a long way.

I don't think ratings tanked for Bay Hill, they might've done when Scheffler put it to bed early doors on Sunday, but it was a great leaderboard heading into the final day. Slow putting can be seen everywhere on every Tour. DeChambeau was one of the worst, is he allowed greens books on LIV?

social

Clark seems an odd bloke. Apparently turned down LIV money because they didn't offer enough. He was 110th in the Fedex 4 years ago, so he'd literally be pulling the rug from under his own feet. There was also some questionable cheating stuff going on where he appeared to improve a lie in the rough (very Patrick Reed).

I don't knock Rory, he's just exploring ideas and I think genuinely cares about the future of golf, not just his bank balance. Clark???

Also, with another point of yours. The PGA Tour for the top pro's now essentially runs from Jan-Aug. The Top 50 have no need to play after that. There is no reason why they can't go to Aus, other than the fact it's a **** of a long way.

I don't think ratings tanked for Bay Hill, they might've done when Scheffler put it to bed early doors on Sunday, but it was a great leaderboard heading into the final day. Slow putting can be seen everywhere on every Tour. DeChambeau was one of the worst, is he allowed greens books on LIV?
PGA Tour runs for 12 months including Fall Events

Australian Open directly clashes with Tiger’s no cut, invitation only exhibition

Father of a good friend runs professional golf here and I can tell you for a fact that there’s no love lost with the PGA (one of the reasons why LIV players are allowed to play here)

LIV imposes slow play penalties with Meronk’s costing him $250k in prize money in Jeddah

Norman is lots of things but dumb isn’t one of them and he knows that slow play is a turn off

PGAT is a mess at the lower levels as is the DPWT overall

Rory seems far more genuine now that he’s not just toeing the party line and I have no doubt he wants what’s best for the game as money will never be the issue

Tiger is another story

grecian

Well done Matteo anyway, comeback complete, no reason why he can't be a regular competitor again. Being a winner is not something you lose.

Son Of Coco

Just watched the start of the Full Swing episode about The Ryder Cup team, and Zach Johnson comes across as a bit of a tool. I've just watched him (and his wife) grilling their kids on what majors he won, and if he was ever on The Ryder Cup team. You won a couple of majors mate. Surely you still can't be so desperate for validation you need your kids to list your achievements to camera.

Has to casually drop in that he was vice-captain before, which "probably helped" him get the captaincy...but he had to think about it still!

Seems like an A-Grade flog.

Son Of Coco

Australian Open directly clashes with Tiger’s no cut, invitation only exhibition

Father of a good friend runs professional golf here and I can tell you for a fact that there’s no love lost with the PGA (one of the reasons why LIV players are allowed to play here)

LIV imposes slow play penalties with Meronk’s costing him $250k in prize money in Jeddah

Norman is lots of things but dumb isn’t one of them and he knows that slow play is a turn off

Rory seems far more genuine now that he’s not just toeing the party line and I have no doubt he wants what’s best for the game as money will never be the issue

Tiger is another story
Tiger wants a lifetime supply of waitresses and some blow.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think ratings tanked for Bay Hill, they might've done when Scheffler put it to bed early doors on Sunday, but it was a great leaderboard heading into the final day.
Ratings didn't tank for Bay Hill...in fact the weekend ratings were the highest since 2014 which is the last time Tiger won.

Molehill

International Captain

Tiger is another story
Meronk should've been done years ago, that practice swing he does gets me every time. He got done because the group were behind and that becomes even more of an issue on a shotgun when you want them all finishing at the same time.

The Top 50 on PGA have no need to play after the Tour Championship until Hawaii in Jan. They're exempt from the Fall events unless they fancy playing them. Aus probably just needs to stump up enough money to get them there. Tiger's event is only for 16 I think, there's plenty of others who could go. Why does someone like Jason Day never play it?

Molehill

International Captain
Just watched the start of the Full Swing episode about The Ryder Cup team, and Zach Johnson comes across as a bit of a tool. I've just watched him (and his wife) grilling their kids on what majors he won, and if he was ever on The Ryder Cup team. You won a couple of majors mate. Surely you still can't be so desperate for validation you need your kids to list your achievements to camera.

Has to casually drop in that he was vice-captain before, which "probably helped" him get the captaincy...but he had to think about it still!

Will start watching this soon, but had heard he didn't come across well. Didn't he share a house with Spieth/JT/Fowler at the Open who just turned out to be a couple of his picks?

That Masters he won is still one of the weirdest, the par 5's played so long no one could reach so became a wedge game.

social

Golfers are some of the least exposed personalities in the sporting world

Guy I play cricket with was a pretty big player manager

He managed the Australian who got in a spot of bother in Hawaii and not only wasn’t that the half of it but there’s plenty of other examples that never got out

When Tiger got done, he told me that there would be plenty of players breathing a sigh of relief as once they caught the whale, there was little point in going after the minnows

He explained it by saying that their multi millionaires who spend most of their time on the road so ….

Molehill

International Captain
Golfers are some of the least exposed personalities in the sporting world

Guy I play cricket with was a pretty big player manager

He managed the Australian who got in a spot of bother in Hawaii and not only wasn’t that the half of it but there’s plenty of other examples that never got out

When Tiger got done, he told me that there would be plenty of players breathing a sigh of relief as once they caught the whale, there was little point in going after the minnows

He explained it by saying that their multi millionaires who spend most of their time on the road so ….
I think the modern day player has changed a little bit from 20 odd years ago, as has society to an extent. It seems it's very common now to travel around with girlfriends and wives rather than leave them at home.

Mr Hawaii was well known for his antics which is why literally no one bought his story.

social

I think the modern day player has changed a little bit from 20 odd years ago, as has society to an extent. It seems it's very common now to travel around with girlfriends and wives rather than leave them at home.

Mr Hawaii was well known for his antics which is why literally no one bought his story.
No doubt they have but I find it hard to believe that drunken escapades etc are now almost the exclusive domain of footballers

CA wants us to believe that Maxwell is the unluckiest clumsy person on the planet

Really?

Son Of Coco

Mr Hawaii is Allenby right?

We used to hang out with Stuart Appleby a little bit when we were playing juniors/colts as he was married to my mate's sister. Robert Allenby came out with us one night, and he was hard work. Was too good to speak to plebs like us, even though he was out as part of our group. Probably said 3 words all night.

social

Mr Hawaii is Allenby right?

We used to hang out with Stuart Appleby a little bit when we were playing juniors/colts as he was married to my mate's sister. Robert Allenby came out with us one night, and he was hard work. Was too good to speak to plebs like us, even though he was out as part of our group. Probably said 3 words all night.
Yeah

Couple of strange ones in that generation of players

I got to know a couple of the older guys through mutual acquaintances and they were generally much more relaxed and a lot of fun

Drink!! jeezuz

Molehill

International Captain
No doubt they have but I find it hard to believe that drunken escapades etc are now almost the exclusive domain of footballers

CA wants us to believe that Maxwell is the unluckiest clumsy person on the planet

Really?
Could say the same about Bairstow - in all your years of playing golf, have you ever seen anyone even come close to smashing their leg to pieces on a tee box? The odd slip up in muddy conditions maybe, but not that.

Allenby also famously sacked his caddie mid round too in the Canadian Open. A complicated bloke by all accounts.

As for what was happening at that time, even a bloke like Montgomerie is now on his 3rd wife!!

social

Could say the same about Bairstow - in all your years of playing golf, have you ever seen anyone even come close to smashing their leg to pieces on a tee box? The odd slip up in muddy conditions maybe, but not that.

Allenby also famously sacked his caddie mid round too in the Canadian Open. A complicated bloke by all accounts.

As for what was happening at that time, even a bloke like Montgomerie is now on his 3rd wife!!
Maxwell was concussed after falling off the back of a golf cart during the T20WC

Ordinary Joe knows not to do that at their local public course

I like Maxi and believe that he’s been harshly treated by the Oz selectors over the years but he’s a disrespectful idiot

As for Bairstow, that’s just rubbish

Members should have fired him into the sun for that

social

Thing about golf is that people actually buy into the fact that it’s a gentleman’s game and that’s a good thing to a point

Cheats are ostracised as is generally antisocial behaviour but the reality is that it’s a microcosm of society with some good & bad guys

Tiger is another Bradman - deeply flawed human who just happens to be a sporting freak

Same can be said for Norman, Vijay, Phil, Dustin, etc