• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is the kind of fortnight when I wonder if the LIV guys ever ponder their decisions? They're pissing about in HK whilst the PGA has a signature event at Bay Hill followed by Sawgrass. When you think about DeChambeau's iconic assault on the 6th at Bay Hill (I don't like him but boy was it great viewing) and various infamous moments from the 17th at Sawgrass.....

Nice of Phil to make Kim feel good about himself.
The Bay Hill field has been criticised by some of the participants this week in between ****ting on the OWGR

It’s an embarrassment & the top guys are getting sick of it

social

Btw, you’re also comparing backwoods Florida to one of the world’s greatest cities while taking a shot at a guy who would be the biggest draw at both of those events at age 53

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
This is the kind of fortnight when I wonder if the LIV guys ever ponder their decisions? They're pissing about in HK whilst the PGA has a signature event at Bay Hill followed by Sawgrass. When you think about DeChambeau's iconic assault on the 6th at Bay Hill (I don't like him but boy was it great viewing) and various infamous moments from the 17th at Sawgrass.....

Nice of Phil to make Kim feel good about himself.
Suspect that professional sportsmen view things differently to us. How many cricketers for instance do you think would choose the Cheltenham festival over playing MLC in the USA? I do not like this trend however it is hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

I am though interested in the harder line that the traditional golf authorities have taken to LIV compared to cricket and T20 leagues. Will be interesting to see how both play out.

social

Suspect that professional sportsmen view things differently to us. How many cricketers for instance do you think would choose the Cheltenham festival over playing MLC in the USA? I do not like this trend however it is hard to put the genie back in the bottle.

I am though interested in the harder line that the traditional golf authorities have taken to LIV compared to cricket and T20 leagues. Will be interesting to see how both play out.
The PGA Tour is literally the only authority doing it and they’re hardly traditionalists

Need to remember that the PGA Tour took the game over with the help of Palmer, Nicklaus etc in 1968 after players demanded a greater share of revenue

This is just history repeating itself

Now the PGA Tour has sold itself out to hedge funds

Good fkn luck 😂

They will sell out in a heartbeat when they achieve the required return

Molehill

International Captain
The Bay Hill field has been criticised by some of the participants this week in between ****ting on the OWGR

It’s an embarrassment & the top guys are getting sick of it
Btw, you’re also comparing backwoods Florida to one of the world’s greatest cities while taking a shot at a guy who would be the biggest draw at both of those events at age 53
Like who? Who that is not on LIV?

The biggest draw in golf after Tiger is Rory. Phil had long since been taken out of the marquee groups on the PGA Tour.

The people criticising the Bay Hill field are actually more those who are left outside it. I guess the concept of playing better golf to get paid has been somewhat thrown up in the air by LIV.

Anyway, you enjoy your LIV in HK where the big news is that Kim is not DFL. I'll be watching those actually trying to win a golf event that means something to them.

I find it amusing that you seem to have so much hatred to PGA Hedge Fund types but so much time for Saudi murderers and their sportswashing club.

Molehill

International Captain

Have a feeling Bairstow would choose Cheltenham over cricket....bet we see him there next week.

The various Cricket Leagues are not exactly threats to the big domestic tournaments or International Cricket. Yes, SA sent a B Team to NZ, but that was so their big stars could play at home and raise more money.

The LIV Golf is a direct competition to the existing Tours, they are buying assets at daft prices simply as a sportswashing exercise. It is no wonder those Tours ae putting up a bit of a fight.

What I have never quite understood regarding the OWGR point is why LIV didn't switch to 72 hole events with no shotgun starts. With only 48 players, it's not like a staggered start takes all day anyway. It just seems that Norman was so pig headed he refused to compromise. If I were at LIV, I'd be lobbying to get this changed, then they would literally be able to have their cake and eat it.

Although there is still the issue of the same 48 players every week, how do you create rankings without changing the fields?

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Have a feeling Bairstow would choose Cheltenham over cricket....bet we see him there next week.

The various Cricket Leagues are not exactly threats to the big domestic tournaments or International Cricket. Yes, SA sent a B Team to NZ, but that was so their big stars could play at home and raise more money.

The LIV Golf is a direct competition to the existing Tours, they are buying assets at daft prices simply as a sportswashing exercise. It is no wonder those Tours ae putting up a bit of a fight.

What I have never quite understood regarding the OWGR point is why LIV didn't switch to 72 hole events with no shotgun starts. With only 48 players, it's not like a staggered start takes all day anyway. It just seems that Norman was so pig headed he refused to compromise. If I were at LIV, I'd be lobbying to get this changed, then they would literally be able to have their cake and eat it.

Although there is still the issue of the same 48 players every week, how do you create rankings without changing the fields?
I can see both sides on the OWGR question. Yes, LIV could have changed their format to fit the standard 72 hole format with Monday qualifiers however this would have gone against the ‘new style of golf’ with teams that the executives running LIV wanted to establish. I doubt that the PIF funders would have cared either way as long as they got a foothold in golf however it looks good for them and the players to at least pretend to be wanting to be part of something new rather than it for to be purely about money.

What strikes (and amuses) me most of all about LIV is that it has caused so much sound and fury however despite the big names playing there is next to no one watching the actual golf, eitheron the course, on TV in America or on YouTube.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I can see both sides on the OWGR question. Yes, LIV could have changed their format to fit the standard 72 hole format with Monday qualifiers however this would have gone against the ‘new style of golf’ with teams that the executives running LIV wanted to establish. I doubt that the PIF funders would have cared either way as long as they got a foothold in golf however it looks good for them and the players to at least pretend to be wanting to be part of something new rather than it for to be purely about money.

What strikes (and amuses) me most of all about LIV is that it has caused so much sound and fury however despite the big names playing there is next to no one watching the actual golf, eitheron the course, on TV in America or on YouTube.
Hard disagree on the bolded part. We have social watching it religiously so it’s not next to no one.

Son Of Coco

What I have never quite understood regarding the OWGR point is why LIV didn't switch to 72 hole events with no
To add interest to the LIV rankings, the bottom 5 at the end of the season, plus the team that comes last, should be stoned to death in a square in Riyadh.

It'd be like golf meets Squid Game.

social

Lol at me watching a lot of golf

Most PGA Tour tournaments don’t feature their best players anymore & the broadcast standard is terrible

I have watched maybe an hour this year

European Tour has been gutted of its best players and I only watch bits & pieces of it if it’s in an interesting location

Same goes for the Asian Tour although their fields are as good as the European Tour these days

All of the above are on Foxtel so I can watch them whenever I want but simply don’t

Have watched exactly one LIV event and that was Adelaide last year when it was on free to air

Could stream it via YouTube to my tv but that’s too much like hard work

In summary, I have watched far more of the European Cricket Championships this year than golf :laugh:

social

Having said that I watched a bit of Manassero last night

Still got a really nice swing but commentators said he’s been battling the yips for years and has basically tried every variation including left handed

Currently leading so hopefully gets a nice payday as obviously talented

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
Also cheering on Manassero, be awesome to see him win today, such a shame to see him lose his game.

Hidalgo's fun to watch, tries to absolutely smoke everything, love it.