• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Scott is the same

Just very ordinary at reading greens
However, their putting woes are nothing compared to Finau. He currently has a 37.5% success rate for putts between 4-8ft. To put that in perspective, Scheffler is at 67%!!

And if you've seen his latest putting stroke, you won't be at all surprised. Toe miles off the ground followed by a short sharp jab at the ball. I'm no putting guru, but who on earth thought that would be a good idea? Needs to spend some time with Faxon or Crenshaw...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
However, their putting woes are nothing compared to Finau. He currently has a 37.5% success rate for putts between 4-8ft. To put that in perspective, Scheffler is at 67%!!

And if you've seen his latest putting stroke, you won't be at all surprised. Toe miles off the ground followed by a short sharp jab at the ball. I'm no putting guru, but who on earth thought that would be a good idea? Needs to spend some time with Faxon or Crenshaw...
Just read about it

He seems to make major changes every few months so is due for another soon

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
There just aren't any great pure putters in the game right now...some decent pressure putters and some streaky ones but not one who is consistently great...on the other hand, there is just a plethora of mediocre putters among the current elite...

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
There just aren't any great pure putters in the game right now...some decent pressure putters and some streaky ones but not one who is consistently great...on the other hand, there is just a plethora of mediocre putters among the current elite...
Players have long since worked out that "drive for show, putt for dough" is a load of rubbish. Tournaments get won by the best ball strikers who just so happen to have an above average putting week. Scheffler is the best ball striker at the mo, he finishes top 10 despite his putting.

The best putter at the mo is probably Denny McCarthy, but the rest of his game is pretty average.

The last great putter to make it to World Number 1 was probably Luke Donald.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I get that, just love watching the skill around and on the greens, that’s all. Also I think Woods was the last great putter to get (back) to the top ranking, wouldn’t you say?

Molehill

International Captain
I get that, just love watching the skill around and on the greens, that’s all. Also I think Woods was the last great putter to get (back) to the top ranking, wouldn’t you say?
Yeah, I kind of forgot he had that period in 2013 where he actually found some consistency and got to 1.

Possibly the other to consider is Jason Day.

Also, whilst looking at the history of World Number 1's it's impossible not to have a chuckle at Greg Norman. All his arguments about the OWGR, he spent 330 weeks as Number 1 (bettered only by Woods) and had just 2 Majors to show for it!! What a choker.....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Right, Day was excellent on the greens prior to his injuries...and I don't think there has been a huge drop-off in his abilities post-comeback. Spieth also was a great putter during his initial years, especially 2015(?) when he flirted with the calendar slam...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Also, whilst looking at the history of World Number 1's it's impossible not to have a chuckle at Greg Norman. All his arguments about the OWGR, he spent 330 weeks as Number 1 (bettered only by Woods) and had just 2 Majors to show for it!! What a choker.....
He is another example of an elite ball striker who wasn't a very good putter...and yes, certainly was a choker extraordinaire...

Son Of Coco

I just started watching the 30 to 30 (or whatever it is) documentary on Norman in the 86 Masters. Despite the fact he comes across as a prize ****wit now, the fact he fronted up again at the course to talk through it is at least a little bit impressive. I mean, he loves talking about himself, so that might be a factor, but still. It's interesting see Faldo interviewed too. I always thought he was an arrogant tool, and I haven't changed my mind. We had an encounter with him as junior golfers at Palm Meadows many years ago that cemented that thought.

social

I just started watching the 30 to 30 (or whatever it is) documentary on Norman in the 86 Masters. Despite the fact he comes across as a prize ****wit now, the fact he fronted up again at the course to talk through it is at least a little bit impressive. I mean, he loves talking about himself, so that might be a factor, but still. It's interesting see Faldo interviewed too. I always thought he was an arrogant tool, and I haven't changed my mind. We had an encounter with him as junior golfers at Palm Meadows many years ago that cemented that thought.
Was that when he was with Jaguar?

Heard something about a clinic he did on the GC while with them & people were less than happy

Norman went out on the town in Surfers after one of those Palm Meadows events and made a complete dick of himself as well

Son Of Coco

Was that when he was with Jaguar?

Heard something about a clinic he did on the GC while with them & people were less than happy

Norman went out on the town in Surfers after one of those Palm Meadows events and made a complete dick of himself as well
I'm not sure, but it could have been. It would have been late 80s, early 90s. Was just a brusque arsehole, which wasn't needed when a few kids are asking for your autograph. I've been to heaps of tournaments, and generally the top golfers (at least in Australia) are reasonably pleasant. Maybe you turn into more of an arsehole when you hit top 20.

We were marshalls for the Daikyo Palm Meadows Cup. To be fair, we were more interested in the Coke girls and some of the other models manning different things than Faldo, but we still wanted his autograph. Biggest thrill was probably Gabriel Hjertstedt giving us all a smile and a nod as he went through. We all played golf with his brother and sister at Coolangatta Tweed.

social

I'm not sure, but it could have been. It would have been late 80s, early 90s. Was just a brusque arsehole, which wasn't needed when a few kids are asking for your autograph. I've been to heaps of tournaments, and generally the top golfers (at least in Australia) are reasonably pleasant. Maybe you turn into more of an arsehole when you hit top 20.

We were marshalls for the Daikyo Palm Meadows Cup. To be fair, we were more interested in the Coke girls and some of the other models manning different things than Faldo, but we still wanted his autograph. Biggest thrill was probably Gabriel Hjertstedt giving us all a smile and a nod as he went through. We all played golf with his brother and sister at Coolangatta Tweed.
I was at Bond University at the time and a few of the girls got jobs at the tournament so got some tickets and an invite to a couple of events

Norman’s behaviour towards a couple of the girls left a lot to be desired

Bernhard Langer & Raymond Floyd were both good guys

Molehill

International Captain
Faldo and Norman have had 7 wives between them, I think that probably gives you an idea of the kind of people they are and what they used their fame/money for.

The Masters giving the finger to the PGA Tour and OWGR by inviting Niemann

An interesting trio. One who grabbed the money and ran, then blubbed that he couldn't play Majors. One who had to be esc0rted (can't believe you can't use a Ford model) off a plane by Police having urinated on half of First Class and made indecent proposals to the cabin crew. And the third I can only assume is being used to boost interest in the Asian TV Ratings.

The Masters also made it very clear that Niemann was invited due to his performances in Australia and LIV was not mentioned at all. I'd say they were giving the finger to LIV not anyone else (especially as they were one of the organisations to vote against LIV receiving OWGR points). Pretty certain Neimann is being used to boost ratings in S America too. Since virtually all of them ran to LIV en masse, there's not much Majors involvement from that Continent.

social

Faldo and Norman have had 7 wives between them, I think that probably gives you an idea of the kind of people they are and what they used their fame/money for.

An interesting trio. One who grabbed the money and ran, then blubbed that he couldn't play Majors. One who had to be esc0rted (can't believe you can't use a Ford model) off a plane by Police having urinated on half of First Class and made indecent proposals to the cabin crew. And the third I can only assume is being used to boost interest in the Asian TV Ratings.

The Masters also made it very clear that Niemann was invited due to his performances in Australia and LIV was not mentioned at all. I'd say they were giving the finger to LIV not anyone else (especially as they were one of the organisations to vote against LIV receiving OWGR points). Pretty certain Neimann is being used to boost ratings in S America too. Since virtually all of them ran to LIV en masse, there's not much Majors involvement from that Continent.
Tbf to Niemann, his only competitor from that continent is a guy who has just been released from prison

I like Olesen but assume that this is Augusta throwing a bone at the DPWT and the same goes for the Japanese & his tour

Far more deserving players out there

Molehill

International Captain
Tbf to Niemann, his only competitor from that continent is a guy who has just been released from prison

I like Olesen but assume that this is Augusta throwing a bone at the DPWT and the same goes for the Japanese & his tour

Far more deserving players out there
Mito Pereira should've won the PGA in 2022 whilst Ortiz has won on the PGA Tour. But they all ran to LIV.

I really don't get the Olesen pick, there would be others on DPWT who would make more sense.

Interestingly, I believe the only Spanish players who will be at the Masters are former winners.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jokic now ranks 4th with 121 regular-season triple-doubles in 650 games. Only Magic (138), Oscar (181) and Westbrook (198) are ahead of him. Having said that, if you count only truly consequential T-Ds and eliminate the garbage stat-stuffing ones, I would say he is already 3rd on that list. :)

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
AK spotted on the range in Jeddah. Looks like he's back. Might actually tune in to LIV this week (as gross as that is to type), curious to see how his game holds up.

Molehill

International Captain
AK spotted on the range in Jeddah. Looks like he's back. Might actually tune in to LIV this week (as gross as that is to type), curious to see how his game holds up.
I'm struggling to see what LIV gains from this. He's not played golf for 12 years because he basically earnt more money by not playing, so of course he signs up to a load of money whether he plays well or not. If he plays like someone that's barely lifted a club for over a decade, then he'll not be worth watching. If he turns out to be quite good, then it'll highlight how poor the field is at LIV.

Meanwhile, Gooch has suggested that the winner of this year's Masters should have an asterisk against it because the top LIV players are not there. Yeah, I'm sure it'll mean a lot less to the winner by not having Gooch and Varner in the field. And his own team captain (Koepka) at LIV may want to have a word about whether he's undermining his own PGA win last year.....

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't disagree generally. I can't really see the long term benefits of signing AK (unless by some miracle he comes out just as good as he was when he left), but at least initially, it'll be more eyes on the product, and their stream on Friday will be their most watched by a long way I would imagine.

Interested to see how this impacts on his rumoured insurance policy payout that's supposedly prevented him from returning to the PGA Tour, wouldn't be surprised if he ends up not playing any of the US-based events if those rumours are true