• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Opening Foursomes announced for the Ryder Cup, tie of the round undoubtedly Cantlay/Schauffele v McIlroy/Fleetwood. Didn't expect to see Aberg play Foursomes (with Hovland), or Straka with Lowry. I'm wondering if MacIntyre or Rose will play at all tomorrow.

Edit: Apparently Donald has said that all 12 will play. Seems odd choice then as I'd have thought a birdie machine like Straka would've been a more obvious Fourballs player than the more steady MacIntyre.

Last edited:

WICFan

U19 Captain
Opening Foursomes announced for the Ryder Cup, tie of the round undoubtedly Cantlay/Schauffele v McIlroy/Fleetwood. Didn't expect to see Aberg play Foursomes (with Hovland), or Straka with Lowry. I'm wondering if MacIntyre or Rose will play at all tomorrow.

Edit: Apparently Donald has said that all 12 will play. Seems odd choice then as I'd have thought a birdie machine like Straka would've been a more obvious Fourballs player than the more steady MacIntyre.
Yeah, I thought he might have paired Rose and Fitzpatrick for the morning session.

MacIntyre being a leftie might go against him in this format.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

Cantlay/Schauffele are our biggest hope (of not being blanked) for that session but McIlroy/Fleetwood are a formidable pair...don't see us winning any of the other matchups...

WICFan

U19 Captain
Cantlay/Schauffele are our biggest hope (of not being blanked) for that session but McIlroy/Fleetwood are a formidable pair...don't see us winning any of the other matchups...
Scheffler and Burns went winless in the Presidents Cup last year so maybe a bit of a surprise that they maintained that pairing.

Molehill

International Captain
This is looking like a strong call so far. Europe have played decently but there have been some poor shots from the US team so far. As I say that, Cantlay sticks one in the water from the middle of the fairway with his opponents in trouble.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Big call to not pick brooks in first groups. The crowd on his back might have bought out the best in him and his team. I'd have sent him out first

Molehill

International Captain
Big call to not pick brooks in first groups. The crowd on his back might have bought out the best in him and his team. I'd have sent him out first
He's probably the second best player in their team, he ought to be playing 5 matches. Certain US players just look rusty (many have not played at all since August). That the Europeans all had a big tournament 2 weeks ago is looking like a big plus. This is looking like 3-0 and then see what happens in the final match.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's probably the second best player in their team, he ought to be playing 5 matches. Certain US players just look rusty (many have not played at all since August). That the Europeans all had a big tournament 2 weeks ago is looking like a big plus. This is looking like 3-0 and then see what happens in the final match.
He’s the best American player by some distance in big tournaments

Molehill

International Captain
He’s the best American player by some distance in big tournaments
And the least likely to be affected by nerves too. The Burns pick is looking weird (not in great form, only plays well in Florida). Harman qualifying didn't help.

As for Europe, I just love watching Aberg, the bloke is going to be a star. Hasn't even played in a Major and already won his first point in a Ryder Cup.

Molehill

International Captain
4-0 Europe and if it wasn't for the searing heat, they'd have hardly broken sweat in doing so. The 18th not seen yet.

Unlike the Solheim Cup, it's hard to see how the vanquished can turn round a 4-0 deficit.

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
What a session. First time we've ever won the first session of a Ryder Cup 4-0. Superb stuff. Rahm and Hatton was superb up top, really set the tone for the rest of the session. And Hovland is a monster.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Things can change quickly but u.s looked so short of confidence. They underhit so many putts or simple chips worried about messing up and left difficult putts. Where have all the characters gone from their teams. Ryder Cup is an event you need a few guys like Weekley or bubba. Harman and the rest possibly the most boring ryder cup team I've ever seen

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Things can change quickly but u.s looked so short of confidence. They underhit so many putts or simple chips worried about messing up and left difficult putts. Where have all the characters gone from their teams. Ryder Cup is an event you need a few guys like Weekley or bubba. Harman and the rest possibly the most boring ryder cup team I've ever seen
The other players don’t like Bryson or Reed and only picked Koepka because they were forced into it

Molehill

International Captain
The other players don’t like Bryson or Reed and only picked Koepka because they were forced into it
The guys on the LIV Tour haven't exactly been suggesting they should be picked. Reed is hated and not playing great, DeChambeau not great either. The one I'd have gone with though had to be DJ. He may not be playing as well, but his experience would've been vital, he also still gets on well with most of the PGA guys (same as Koepka).

A least the US had the option of picking LIV players, Europe haven't (although really only Garcia could've been in the mix).

Molehill

International Captain
Half decent fightback this afternoon, but I think Donald knows where his strength is now and will surely leave MacIntyre out tomorrow, only made one birdie all round and his 3 putt on 16 has all but handed the US the match.

Be amazed if Aberg doesn't get 2 rounds tomorrow.

Well I say fightback, but Rahm and Hovland have killed it with those putts on 18.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I am working so couldn't see anything live but looks like Europe just consolidated their advantage in the afternoon against a stronger effort from the US...? Looks like a bloody rout even before we get to Sunday from what I can see... :@

Molehill

International Captain
I am working so couldn't see anything live but looks like Europe just consolidated their advantage in the afternoon against a stronger effort from the US...? Looks like a bloody rout even before we get to Sunday from what I can see... :@
there’s been some bad whinging after too from ZJ and Koepka. Picking pairs coz they like each other doesn’t seem like a winning strategy to me.

Amazed Spieth is playing foursomes tomorrow, was awful today. JT got that half on his own.

I doubt MacIntyre plays tomorrow, but the others will.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
there’s been some bad whinging after too from ZJ and Koepka. Picking pairs coz they like each other doesn’t seem like a winning strategy to me.

Amazed Spieth is playing foursomes tomorrow, was awful today. JT got that half on his own.

I doubt MacIntyre plays tomorrow, but the others will.
Our entire team was congested guys, otherwise we would have beaten you soundly in both sessions!