• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Solheim Cup just started, quality of golf so far very average (especially from Europe), putting has been woeful. Nerves seemingly getting the better of some. Hopefully they'll start to come good.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Solheim Cup just started, quality of golf so far very average (especially from Europe), putting has been woeful. Nerves seemingly getting the better of some. Hopefully they'll start to come good.
Europe has dominated recent Solheim Cups and I expect this one to go the same way. As you must have seen, they came back strongly in the afternoon and have the momentum going into tomorrow.

Molehill

International Captain
Great iron shots from Ciganda winning the Solheim cup here.
Retained not winning. Disappointed to see them celebrating that as if they were Aussie Cricketers.

Got to say that watching it was quite painful. The opening day Foursomes took 4 hours 10 mins to play 17 holes. The problem seems to be the putting, they don't concede any outside about a foot and they go through these horrific routines for every putt. Lexi Thompson is one of the worst.

It'll be refreshing to see some of the faster guys playing the Ryder Cup this week (apart from Cantlay). I think this one is going to be really close too, hoping that home conditions will prove to be a key factor (as they have been for about 30 years).

Tom Flint

International Regular
Retained not winning. Disappointed to see them celebrating that as if they were Aussie Cricketers.

Got to say that watching it was quite painful. The opening day Foursomes took 4 hours 10 mins to play 17 holes. The problem seems to be the putting, they don't concede any outside about a foot and they go through these horrific routines for every putt. Lexi Thompson is one of the worst.

It'll be refreshing to see some of the faster guys playing the Ryder Cup this week (apart from Cantlay). I think this one is going to be really close too, hoping that home conditions will prove to be a key factor (as they have been for about 30 years).
I only watched the last hour of the final round but actually thought they conceded too many gimmee's. One of them was about 2 and a half feet away and she let her pick it up to win the point. No way I'd be doing that

Molehill

International Captain
I only watched the last hour of the final round but actually thought they conceded too many gimmee's. One of them was about 2 and a half feet away and she let her pick it up to win the point. No way I'd be doing that
I think in that situation she may have had 2 putts for it from that position. I watched most of Friday and Saturday afternoon, there were virtually no gimme's.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think in that situation she may have had 2 putts for it from that position. I watched most of Friday and Saturday afternoon, there were virtually no gimme's.
Yes I wondered if that was the case. It was the second final match to finish I only started watching when they were on the green, the way the commentary described it I got it wrong. I think me and you will disagree on this as I'm a armchair golf fan and have never agreed with gimmees lol

Molehill

International Captain
Yes I wondered if that was the case. It was the second final match to finish I only started watching when they were on the green, the way the commentary described it I got it wrong. I think me and you will disagree on this as I'm a armchair golf fan and have never agreed with gimmees lol
The general broadcast and commentary was a mess the whole way through. I'm not sure we ever saw the second hole as we had to watch all the groups go through the first hole (and the incessant music on the First Tee which could be heard from the green) until showing anywhere else. Really hope the coverage is better this week.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't we have some controversies during the last edition with putt concessions? Maybe they decided no gimmes to avoid that...

Molehill

International Captain
Didn't we have some controversies during the last edition with putt concessions? Maybe they decided no gimmes to avoid that...
There were definitely some being given, but there were others which weren't that you wouldn't ask an 18 handicapper to putt.

Having said that, Hall's horrific 3 putt on 17 yesterday from about 8 feet ended up deciding the result. Mind you, both sides can no doubt point to similar instances over the 3 days, a draw seemed a fair result.