• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know...if one of Rahm, Scheffler, McIlroy, Fleetwood, Lowry et al had won by 6 shots, I don't think anyone would be calling the championship a dud even in these rainy conditions...for people who weren't enthused by what they saw this week, Harman winning (and resembling Ponting while doing it :D ) had a lot to do with it whether they admit it or not...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah

Harman is a very good tour player who took all the drama out of it by putting insanely well so nobody got close after the first 2 rounds

Trouble is that he’s basically an unknown American in Europe’s biggest event, doesn’t have an outgoing personality or some amazing background & he’s not young

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah

Harman is a very good tour player who took all the drama out of it by putting insanely well so nobody got close after the first 2 rounds

Trouble is that he’s basically an unknown American in Europe’s biggest event, doesn’t have an outgoing personality or some amazing background & he’s not young
Yeah, it’s just the 2nd paragraph that’s relevant…the dominant win wasn’t really the issue, it was about who won…

Molehill

International Captain
Yep, Harman's putter destroyed The Open. He's currently ranked 39th best putter on the PGA Tour, but his numbers over the last 4 days were insane. It took until the back 9 on Sunday for him to miss a putt inside 10ft!! But a number of Majors recently have had similar issues, it's been a while since we had drama down the last 9 in the Masters.

But The Open does have a bit of history for relatively random Americans winning their only Majors. Curtis, Hamilton, Rogers, Leonard, Calcavecchia and I'd even throw in Zach Johnson who although he won a bizarre Masters was still a pretty random Open winner too.

Harman now looks to have booked a spot in the Ryder Cup team, I suspect he'll be more suited than most to Rome.

social

Young lefty Akshay Bhatia won on PGA Tour at same time as the Open

Only 21 and not a great field but huge talent & with his Indian background could become a massive star

Molehill

International Captain
de Chambeau shot 61-58 on the weekend

That’s insane golf
It is, although wouldn't mind knowing how the course was set up. Appleby shot a 59 here back in 2010 (before courses were being totally over-powered), so it's always been one of the 'easier' ones.

But I don't follow LIV golf so have no idea.

social

It is, although wouldn't mind knowing how the course was set up. Appleby shot a 59 here back in 2010 (before courses were being totally over-powered), so it's always been one of the 'easier' ones.

But I don't follow LIV golf so have no idea.
I only saw one shot and he hit a 9 iron from 219 yards to about 6 feet

Assume it was like the Grange in Adelaide when they played there - beautiful, traditional course but got overpowered by anyone who hit it straight

Molehill

International Captain
I only saw one shot and he hit a 9 iron from 219 yards to about 6 feet

Assume it was like the Grange in Adelaide when they played there - beautiful, traditional course but got overpowered by anyone who hit it straight
I wonder if he finds that frustrating? He's played one of the best rounds of his life and basically no one saw it.

Molehill

International Captain
I read an interesting stat on the 58 last night. Someone involved in the data side of things has calculated that it's only the 328th best round ever recorded. They took into account the strength of the field and the scoring average (it was 66.7 and half the LIV players are rubbish). So he was 8.7 shots better than a relatively poor field. The top is Furyk's 59 (his 58 is 10th) at the 2013 BMW which was 13.1 shots better than the average!

Rory's 62 at the 2010 Quail Hollow was 7th and Bryson's own 60 at the 2020 BMW was 9th.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I watched Furyk's 59 and Rory's 62, spectacular rounds. Furyk's was on a course playing really tough and it was incredibly good, I think Woods was the one who said it was like Furyk was playing a different course than the rest of the field...

Molehill

International Captain
Starting to look like the Women's Open might be going the same way as the Men's as a fairly random American bolts clear of the field on Friday.

grecian

Starting to look like the Women's Open might be going the same way as the Men's as a fairly random American bolts clear of the field on Friday.
well this American had the good grace to collapse, could be a fun final round, Charlie Hull in contention, will get the home-crowd support.

btw hideous putting round by Nelly Korda, should have shot about 62, but ended up with 67.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
btw hideous putting round by Nelly Korda, should have shot about 62, but ended up with 67.
She is like the McIlroy of the LPGA…really long off the tee, elite ball striking skills, pretty good around the greens as well but streaky & overall average putter. Her tee to green game will put her in the mix most weeks and when her putter lights up, she usually wins…