• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assumed his sore knee had something to do with the waywardness in the US Open. For a bloke that's won 14 (or is it 15!?) majors I wouldn't describe him as wayward from the tee.
Maybe, but he's been inconsistent off the tee for yonks now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I assumed his sore knee had something to do with the waywardness in the US Open. For a bloke that's won 14 (or is it 15!?) majors I wouldn't describe him as wayward from the tee.
among the top players, he is one of the least accurate off the tee...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And is now out for the year - having a reconstruction on his ACL.

Good to give the others a chance, I reckon.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
among the top players, he is one of the least accurate off the tee...
Yeah, last year he hit 60% of fairways...ranked 152nd :happy: That isn't great. Guess it helps if you usually miss them a good distance past most other players.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
And is now out for the year - having a reconstruction on his ACL.

Good to give the others a chance, I reckon.
yeah he played the u.s open with an acl and a double fracture on that left leg....and won!

grecian

Haven't thought about it much yet Anil, does seem a tad hollow without the Tiger. I'll make the bold prediction that Colin Montgomerie won't win though.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
good call...:)

anyway, this is a chance for someone like garcia to exorcise his demons...and he can maybe thank tiger once again(like at the players) if he lifts the claret jug...:)

grecian

Yeah, McDowell looking like a top player this year.

anyway, this is a chance for someone like garcia to exorcise his demons...and he can maybe thank tiger once again(like at the players) if he lifts the claret jug...:)
Unsure about all the Garcia love around, he's favourite for the Open with the bookies, yet has never won a major and has only won one tournament in three years, Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but the weakest favourite in history for me, Padraig has a better chance to repeat, IMHO. Yet i reckon it'll go to an unfancied player myself, without Woods the winners of the majors recently, apart from Padraig, have often been relative unknowns. Johnson, Hamilton, Curtis, Cabrera, Immelman, Beem are all unlikely to win another major, IMHO. Even though Angel and Trevor are very good players, not great though.

I think the technology of clubs and ball means that you don't have to hit the ball as purely as you used to do, so people who find themselves in winning positions in the final 9 often hold on, when before, less then perfect striking would of meant they plummeted down the leaderboard. Which makes Woods achievements even greater in a way, because there really is 100 people who can win each major, each time.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Unsure about all the Garcia love around, he's favourite for the Open with the bookies, yet has never won a major and has only won one tournament in three years, Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but the weakest favourite in history for me, Padraig has a better chance to repeat, IMHO. Yet i reckon it'll go to an unfancied player myself, without Woods the winners of the majors recently, apart from Padraig, have often been relative unknowns. Johnson, Hamilton, Curtis, Cabrera, Immelman, Beem are all unlikely to win another major, IMHO. Even though Angel and Trevor are very good players, not great though.
not really garcia love in my case...just thought with the field being so open this time, he has as good or better chance as a lot of other players, in fact i don't think it will get better for him than this...as for harrington, he really hasn't played all that well after winning at carnoustie...difficult to see him defending his title...and of the one-time major winners you listed, i think immelman is well capable of winning another couple of majors...

Matteh

Had money on Jimenez to beat Cabrera, looked shakey after the second day, but Cabrera had a mare on the 3rd and Jimenez creamed him from then on. :cool:

grecian

not really garcia love in my case...just thought with the field being so open this time, he has as good or better chance as a lot of other players, in fact i don't think it will get better for him than this...as for harrington, he really hasn't played all that well after winning at carnoustie...difficult to see him defending his title...and of the one-time major winners you listed, i think immelman is well capable of winning another couple of majors...
Yeah might have been harsh on Trevor, but he did win a bit out of turn, I would say, not sure he'd ever been in contention before. Harrington's just gearing up for the majors, so his form elsewhere is probably irrelevant. Oh I forgot Oglivie too (talking about inauspicious first-time winners recently), but he's got some form behind him since, some are tipping him for this years Open.

For what its worth, I wouldn't be surprised if an Aussie took it out. It's going to be windy at Birkdale apparently, and they're often good win players.. Scott, Baddely and the 'bys will get my money squandered on them, I'll also back Leonard, who may be too short, but he's got a good links record, and is having a steady 10 months or so.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
what about westwood? he has had a very good year so far, came really close to winning the u.s open...

grecian

what about westwood? he has had a very good year so far, came really close to winning the u.s open...
Dunno, I've giving up on blighty victories in any sport :(

Just think we put so much pressure on anyone who's decent, they need to be that much better to win stuff in this country, and Lee isn't IMHO. He certainly looks leaner and meaner then previous years, but he may have a better chance of a major in The Masters or more pressingly the USPGA.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah might have been harsh on Trevor, but he did win a bit out of turn, I would say, not sure he'd ever been in contention before. Harrington's just gearing up for the majors, so his form elsewhere is probably irrelevant. Oh I forgot Oglivie too (talking about inauspicious first-time winners recently), but he's got some form behind him since, some are tipping him for this years Open.
well if you have a healthy woods in the field, who does actually win "in turn"? not even mickelson i would say...:), and yeah ogilvie would be another good bet this year....