• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
Blimey, didn't see that coming and no idea how it's going to work. I guess that makes all players eligible for the Ryder Cup, not that it helps Europe much (Garcia maybe?).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
what the absolute ****? oh man, does this mean norman loses his job or maybe has to report to monahan now? looking for the silver lining here...:laugh:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: tf is this
Looks like Monahan has looked after himself, considering he is to be the CEO of the new merger from what I have read. You can understand those who stayed loyal to the PGA tour being pissed off. Especially those who spoke up as they have been dumped in it. The PGA has ****ed them all in the arse though. Imagine not discussing the decision with those it affects the most, who are also the people that bring the money into the game.

social

Looks like Monahan has looked after himself, considering he is to be the CEO of the new merger from what I have read. You can understand those who stayed loyal to the PGA tour being pissed off. Especially those who spoke up as they have been dumped in it. The PGA has ****ed them all in the arse though. Imagine not discussing the decision with those it affects the most, who are also the people that bring the money into the game.
After some of them had passed up hundreds of millions to stay loyal while copping massive criticism

Rory must be fuming

Molehill

International Captain
After some of them had passed up hundreds of millions to stay loyal while copping massive criticism

Rory must be fuming
I suspect there's no way that Monahan can keep his job (and Norman seems to have already been moved to a quiet place - which is slightly concerning when you work for Saudis). I can't quite work out at this stage whether LIV Golf is dead and the Saudis have basically bought the PGA Tour or whether they are somehow going to run alongside each other. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the season to have the traditional PGA main events, Majors, Tour Championship, Ryder/Presidents Cups plus some International Team rubbish.

The gloating Mickelson is not going to help either. I can't see how those who went to LIV will be allowed back without having to forfeit some of their gains, it's not fair on those who turned down the offers.

social

I suspect there's no way that Monahan can keep his job (and Norman seems to have already been moved to a quiet place - which is slightly concerning when you work for Saudis). I can't quite work out at this stage whether LIV Golf is dead and the Saudis have basically bought the PGA Tour or whether they are somehow going to run alongside each other. There doesn't seem to be enough time in the season to have the traditional PGA main events, Majors, Tour Championship, Ryder/Presidents Cups plus some International Team rubbish.

The gloating Mickelson is not going to help either. I can't see how those who went to LIV will be allowed back without having to forfeit some of their gains, it's not fair on those who turned down the offers.
Fairness doesn’t come into it

It will be a legal issue if they try to claw money back as it won’t be the LIV players fault if no more tournaments are played after this year

Like virtually everything, it all comes down to money as I have no doubt that the Saudis dangled a massive cheque in front of the PGA Tour and the European Tour

For their part, Monahan & Pelley should have been sacked long ago

Had to laugh at this as Golf Digest is the official magazine of the PGA Tour

Son Of Coco

Reading what Monahan said about loyal players being 'rewarded', it appears that 'reward' is the higher prizemoney they will now play for...so not a loyalty specific at all.

Although he did mention they'd be looking at it further, so maybe my interpretation of it is wrong.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone following the US Open at the LACC? A tournament low record 62 leading the way, 37 people under par...very unlike a typical Open...also a few surprises among big names not doing well and likely to struggle to make the cut tomorrow...

social

Only watched about 6 holes & course it at the mercy of anyone who drives straight unless the greens quicken up

There’s massive rough around the greens but driving area is pretty big

Molehill

International Captain
It's a slightly quirky course but made for pretty decent viewing. Some of the par 3's are very long, but play easier because of the way you can run the ball in. I expect they'll firm up the greens a lot over the weekend (expect it'll be fairly similar today). It'll be won by a long hitter who manages to keep it straight. Some of the par 4's are very long, yet McIlroy was smashing it 360 and then hitting wedge. I can't imagine Fowler will hang around but Schauffele is a big threat after that start. Further back, Rory, DJ and Scheffler look the most likely challengers.

CartyDurham

International Vice-Captain
Leaders about to start I see

of the top six I’ve got money on Dustin Johnson

rory birdies the first to go jt leader at -10

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Johnson is too far back, English making a mess of the 1st couple of holes as well, still think the winner will come from the final two groups...Clark with a great start...

CartyDurham

Johnson is too far back, English making a mess of the 1st couple of holes as well, still think the winner will come from the final two groups...Clark with a great start...
I’ve got 1/5 odds for a top 12 finish for Johnson

I had 30/1 for him , so it will be a 6/1 winner if he finishes in the top 12

that’ll do me

I see Tommy fleetwood having another classic final round of 63 but it’s too late. Missed a 3 footer for a 62

CartyDurham

Just checked my account I’ve also got M Lee and Morikawa sharing 6th with Johnson

got Lee 90/1 and Morikawa 20/1. Same place odds

fingers crossed they all maintain that position