• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Koepka has played in 35 majors and finished top 5 in 13 of them which is by far the best strike rate of his contemporaries

Son Of Coco

I think the Masters was the first major he lost with a 54 hole lead…as arrogant as he comes across and I understand you don’t like him, it’s a fact that he plays spectacularly well in majors and has won two Wanamakers already…?
I have nothing against him. Although both he and his wife (particularly the latter) didn't come across overly well in that Netflix doco, he can clearly play golf.

My comment was more a joke at LIV's expense than his, hence the 'LIV' part. I am aware of his previous history at the majors.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I have nothing against him. Although both he and his wife (particularly the latter) didn't come across overly well in that Netflix doco, he can clearly play golf.

My comment was more a joke at LIV's expense than his, hence the 'LIV' part. I am aware of his previous history at the majors.
Ah gotcha, should have caught that, sorry…?

grecian

I backed Kopeka again, so I suppose I want him to win, as the rest of my bets are in the toilet, but wouldn't mind the nominal Brit (more South-african yank, but hey) Rose winning one slam and an Olympics don't seem enough, considering his longevity after that 3rd at Royal Birkdale, a quarter of a century ago.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
koepka dialed in and pulling away early...so far it's just hovland trying to keep pace and even he is 3 shots back...

Molehill

International Captain
Pretty amazing to think he should probably have both majors to start the year in his trophy cabinet. One is great but could easily have been 2.
He should've won the Masters that Woods won too. He's an absolute beast at Majors and now his body is back to 100% it's hard to see him not winning quite a few more.

I have more time for Koepka than the other LIV guys. He went to LIV because he thought his body was ****ed and was unlikely to be competitive at the top level again. He also did it so his brother could get himself a big pay day too. He has never come up with the 'growing the game' bull**** or pretended he wasn't going for the money. Even when he was on the PGA Tour, he didn't really give a toss about anything other than Majors, it's clearly the same now he's on LIV.

That was one of my main take outs from that doc. Nice to look at, but jeez, I don't think I could stay in a relationship with her for longer than a week. The bit where she was showing off her clothing buys of the day whilst he was pondering missed putts was comedy gold!!

And finally Michael Block. I'm not quite sure what to make of him. It was a great story but something didn't seem quite right about the way he was milking it so much.

Molehill

International Captain
One other point I'd add, this was a really dull golf course. Two par 5's which couldn't be reached in 2 is very tedious. Only the tough holes of 6 and 7 and the drivable 14th were interesting. Chipping around the green didn't require any real creativity, just a bit of gouging. Also, just missing a fairway seemed more punishing than going far wider to where the gallery were. If it wasn't for Block, I'm not really sure what we'd remember this tournament for.

social

Can’t be too critical of Block as he’s a relative nobody thrown into the spotlight

He’s qualified for next year’s PGA, has been invited to a couple of other big tournaments and will undoubtedly make some nice coin along the way

Good luck to him but chances are that he’ll never make another tour event cut

Molehill

International Captain
DP World Tour made a terrible business decision when aligning itself with the PGA Tour

It's been like this for years. The days of someone with the talent of Monty never going to the PGA Tour are long gone. It should be remembered that so many talented International golfers are already tied into the US College system anyway. Even a lad at my club got offered a scholarship.

What was the alternative for DP? At least young golfers can see a pathway to the PGA through this tour and will encourage them to stay away from LIV.

social

It's been like this for years. The days of someone with the talent of Monty never going to the PGA Tour are long gone. It should be remembered that so many talented International golfers are already tied into the US College system anyway. Even a lad at my club got offered a scholarship.

What was the alternative for DP? At least young golfers can see a pathway to the PGA through this tour and will encourage them to stay away from LIV.
The PGA Tour has a loooong history of cannibalising other tours and are hardly the good guys when it comes to world golf

Jack Nicklaus won 6 Australian Opens in the days before the PGA Tour had a year round schedule

The Sunshine Tour in SA is no longer televised around the world because the fields are weak

I get it

Playing in Central America for $5 million in December in a relatively weak field can help a struggling player retain his card on the most lucrative tour in the world

However, let’s not pretend that the PGA Tour is interested in growing the game around the world

social

Just for more perspective

Koepka’s win would ordinarily earn him a 5 year exemption on the PGA Tour and he would be virtually guaranteed a Ryder Cup spot

I just watched the tournament post tournament show & they all said that he’s the world’s best player

Forget about Rahm, Rory, etc

IF Michael Block or any other non-Tour member had won, the PGA Tour & Ryder Cup would honour that commitment but not a LIV guy

I don’t support Saudi at all but let’s not pretend that this is about what’s good for world golf

It’s about control