• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Alexander sat down and fanned himself with his hat, for the evening was warm. Perplexity was written upon his fine face.

"I don't know what to do," he said.

"Keep the head still, slow back, don't press", I said, gravely. There is no better rule for a happy and successful life.

"It's nothing to do with golf this time", he said. "It's about the treasurership of my company. Old Smithers retires next week, and I've got to find a man to fill his place."

"That should be easy. You have simply to select the most deserving from among your other employees."

"But which is the most deserving? That's the point. There are two men who are capable of holding the job quite adequately. But then I realize how little I know of their real characters. It is the treasurership, you understand, which has to be filled. Now, a man who was quite good at another job might easily get wrong ideas into his head when he became a treasurer. He would have the handling of large sums of money. In other words, a man who in ordinary circumstances had never been conscious of any desire to visit the more distant portions of South America might feel the urge, so to speak, shortly after he became a treasurer. That is my difficulty. Of course, one always takes a sporting chance with any treasurer; but how am I to find out which of these two men would give me the more reasonable opportunity of keeping some of my money?"

I did not hesitate a moment. I held strong views on the subject of character−testing.

"The only way", I said to Alexander, "of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself. I employed a lawyer for years, until one day I saw him kick his ball out of a heel−mark. I removed my business from his charge next morning. He has not yet run off with any trust−funds, but there is a nasty gleam in his eye, and I am convinced that it is only a question of time. Golf, my dear fellow, is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well. The man who can smile bravely when his putt is diverted by one of those beastly wormcasts is pure gold right through. But the man who is hasty, unbalanced, and violent on the links will display the same qualities in the wider field of everyday life. You don't want an unbalanced treasurer do you?"

"Not if his books are likely to catch the complaint."

"They are sure to. Statisticians estimate that the average of crime among good golfers is lower than in any class of the community except possibly bishops. Since Willie Park won the first championship at Prestwick in the year 1860 there has, I believe, been no instance of an Open Champion spending a day in prison. Whereas the bad golfers - and by bad I do not mean incompetent, but black−souled, the men who fail to count a stroke when they miss the globe; the men who never replace a divot; the men who talk while their opponent is driving; and the men who let their angry passions rise - these are in and out of Wormwood Scrubbs all the time. They find it hardly worth while to get their hair cut in their brief intervals of liberty."

Alexander was visibly impressed.
z

King Pietersen

International Captain
Not quite. I'm talking about the GOAT. The man that's going to be bombing it past DJ and JT. The man that's going to out-ball strike Hideki, out-putt Spieth and out-cheat Reed. HE'S BACK.

If he gets through 4 rounds anyway :D

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if he completes the tournament, doesn't finish dead last and continues to stay healthy, that would be a huge win for him...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i am not sure yet, there are promising signs for sure but he has bogeyed 2 par 5s in this round and birdie/parred the other two, +1 on par 5s is as un-tiger-like as it gets...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I never dropped off the bandwagon, just more realistic with my expectations that’s all...?

King Pietersen

International Captain
**** realistic expectations. He's back, he's hitting stingers, he's fist pumping after 4 holes, recoiling on the driver, it's time to get excited before his body inevitably gives up on him again. Until that happens TIGERS BACK BABAY.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
trails by 5, still not out of it but the consistency is not there yet...

Last edited: