• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
in light of the masters i played a round with some mates today and thankfully won

but ffs i have a great long game and can go deep on the drive but my short game is severely lacking, especially putting which i'm offensively bad at... how do we all hold our clubs here (correct answer is interlocking grip btw but feel free to have the wrong opinion)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Overlap here too.

40 points in the weekly stableford at the weekend (non-qualifier though unfortunately) and came 7th. Playing some good stuff ATM. Shot 80 the other week and starting to consistently put in some good scores. Hoping that with a week of golf in Spain planned at the end of the month I'll start the season in good form and get a nice early handicap cut to help me push towards single figures this season.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Interlocking grip.
My biggest love of golf is that you can't blame anyone else for being a crap player. Well, that and getting to the bar at the end, whether good or bad, beers still taste good.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, I reckon that's why a lot of other professional sports people enjoy golf and really respect golf pros. There's a lot fewer variables than other sports, because it's a stationary ball. It's just so mental that we all have a soft spot for people who can maintain success regularly.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cameron Smith part of winning team to record his first victory on PGA tour

Very good young player who quietly gets the job done

social

Yup, I reckon that's why a lot of other professional sports people enjoy golf and really respect golf pros. There's a lot fewer variables than other sports, because it's a stationary ball. It's just so mental that we all have a soft spot for people who can maintain success regularly.
You're right when it comes to the stationary ball but there are lots of variables when it comes to the course (no two are the same) and weather conditions (can literally change the nature of a course within minutes).

On the mental side of things, one of my favourite anecdotes is about a guy who hit the best shot I have ever had the pleasure to see close up

This unknown pro was playing in a pro-am before the Oz Open one year at the Australian and hit a mid-iron about 200 metres out of thick rough around a tree, over a lake & bunker to about a foot with no green to work with

Unfortunately, that same guy had a chronic case of the yips and retired shortly thereafter

I always found it mind-boggling that a guy who was capable of that shot was also so shot mentally on the greens that a 2 putt was a result for him

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He should have used a driver there.

He's had a rough time of it recently, his career has gone completely off-course. Hope he gets back to par soon.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Watched the tournament on Sunday. Jon Rahm was so good. Such a talent. Looking forward to the memorial day tournament. Nine out of the top twelve players will be playing.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Played in a medal on Saturday, played pretty poor, missed buffer by 1, the 9 on 17 didn't help. Played with lad who's off +1 and currently plays College Golf in America, was fantastic watching him, plays a completely different game to most of us amateurs. Our 2nd hole is a pretty long uphill Par 5 off the whites, he hit a massive high bomb draw which left an 8 iron 2nd shot into the green, ridiculous. Then on the 16th he drove the par 4 green with a 3 wood. His ball flight was a joy to watch, and the noise off the clubface was like nothing I'd heard before. Was great fun.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just heard the scores this morning. Good to see the Leish up there. Been a lot of pre-tourney angst about the course, then Fowler goes and shoots seven under in the first round.

Anyway, Leishmann's kind of track really. Hits it straighter than most.

social

Unless they play out of their skin tomorrow, there are some big names basically out of it already - Day, McIlroy, Willet, Walker, etc