• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

King Pietersen

International Captain
DJ's shot from the fairway bunker on 18 was superb. Under that pressure it was such a difficult shot and he played it superbly. Great win, and when he's on form he's incredibly hard to beat.

Who we picking for The Masters then? Few weeks ago I'd have said Hideki but had a quiet couple of weeks since. DJ obviously going to be up there but I reckon Spieth is going to win another green jacket. After the collapse last year he's going to come back and blow the field away like he did in 2015. Showed some good signs last week, especially with the 63 on Saturday and he always plays well at Augusta. Would love Rory to finally win it, but think it's going to be Jordan's year again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
depends on whether there will be rain at augusta, if it is wet and soft with not much wind, a lot of players will come into the picture...if it stays warm, dry, windy like last year, spieth should start as the favorite...a fully healthy day should also contend, johnson has shown that he can do very well on tough courses so he will start out as a contender, i would think mickelson's chances are very good as well...tee to green he is awesome but hidecki is just too streaky/suspect on the greens right now..especially in dry conditions, i don't see him putting well enough on those greens to win a green jacket, same with rory...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Only man to win the current 4 WGC's, 2nd to Tiger for most WGC wins (though still has 13 to win to catch-up), 3.79 points clear in the OWGR, DJ is the man right now.

Credit to Jon Rahm too, what a player this lad is, he has everything. He's 22, ranked 14th in the World and has only played 19 qualifying events for WGR points. If the rankings were done on a points per tournament basis, he'd be 2nd in the world.

On to The Masters now, my favourite tournament of the year. DJ on a hot-streak, Rahm playing like a beast, Spieth finding some form, Rory playing well and leading the Tour in scoring average, Fowler finding his form again and was leading the tour in scoring average until this week, Tiger has booked his private jet to Augusta (Sunday to Sunday), it's going to be one hell of a tournament. I can't wait. Still betting on a Spieth win.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Farcical scenes at the first ladies' major of the year that resulted in a player being robbed of a victory

grecian

Farcical scenes at the first ladies' major of the year that resulted in a player being robbed of a victory
Was ridiculous, some sad people in the World. Honestly though probably will make Lexi Thompson a superstar though.

She looks good in lycra too.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Was ridiculous, some sad people in the World. Honestly though probably will make Lexi Thompson a superstar though.

She looks good in lycra too.
antiquated, ridiculous golf rules are the absolute worst...the mind boggles at the fact that a random guy in front of a t.v can impact the outcome of a tournament that too a major...poor lexi thompson...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Was definitely worthy of a penalty, but the 4-shots is just a strange interpretation of the rules. Fair enough give her the 2 shot penalty for the marking of the ball, she definitely moved the ball off-line, but to give her another penalty for signing for the wrong score is farcical.

Weather looking dodgy for Augusta, could favour a few different players. Fowler is normally very good in bad weather, and is playing some serious golf right now. 4 Top 10 finishes so far this season with a win at The Honda, leads the tour in scoring average, 2nd in total driving, 4th in strokes gained tee-to-green, 2nd in strokes-gained total, 3rd in scrambling, 1st in sand saves, Top 10 in strokes-gained-putting, his all around game right now is of the highest quality. He's had a Top 5 in The Masters before and I can see him having a very good week.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anyone up for a Masters predictions - think I organised one a few years back.

Basically pick 5 players who's total world rankings is no less than 150 and you score their finishing position. Lowest total wins. Anyone who misses the cut scores a tied position of 1 more then the total who make the cut.

I pick Dustin Johnson (1), Jon Rahm (12), Bubba Watson (19), Lee Westwood (54) and Pat Perez (64),

grecian

Dustin Johnson (1), Oosthuizen (28), Schwartzel (29) Brooks Koepka(25) Webb Simpson (67)

That's quite close there .

I've backed them (very small amount on Simpson) plus Matsuyama and Kaymer which is silly because of his record at Augusta, but 175-1 for a recent two-times major winner was something a mug punter like me can't resist.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Was definitely worthy of a penalty, but the 4-shots is just a strange interpretation of the rules. Fair enough give her the 2 shot penalty for the marking of the ball, she definitely moved the ball off-line, but to give her another penalty for signing for the wrong score is farcical.

Weather looking dodgy for Augusta, could favour a few different players. Fowler is normally very good in bad weather, and is playing some serious golf right now. 4 Top 10 finishes so far this season with a win at The Honda, leads the tour in scoring average, 2nd in total driving, 4th in strokes gained tee-to-green, 2nd in strokes-gained total, 3rd in scrambling, 1st in sand saves, Top 10 in strokes-gained-putting, his all around game right now is of the highest quality. He's had a Top 5 in The Masters before and I can see him having a very good week.
it's not about whether it was worthy of a penalty...per the rubbish rules that exist now, it certainly was...it is how it was called that made what happened a complete and utter farce...a fan on the course or a viewer in front of a t.v should not have any power whatsoever to impact the outcome of a tournament...

you can see how this impacts the better players disproportionately, don't you? unless you believe what happened on that one hole was the only scenario where this mistake occurred all week...it may or may not be common but i am certain it happens way more than we think and players get away with it because no one noticed or because they weren't on t.v or whatever...for me either the rules officials should be that vigilant that nothing escapes their scrutiny or these kind of rules should be administered after the fact based on common sense, not some rigid nonsensical tradition...

regarding the masters...there are a lot of contenders this week...fowler is playing well but i don't see much to be impressed about his finishing abilities so far so unless he laps the field or something i don't see him winning...if it is a rain-soaked golf course, a lot of players have a chance this week especially if there is no wind...

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
rory mcilroy (2), jordan spieth (6), brandt snedeker (22), zach johnson (49), tony finau (72)

grecian

it's not about whether it was worthy of a penalty...per the rubbish rules that exist now, it certainly was...it is how it was called that made what happened a complete and utter farce...a fan on the course or a viewer in front of a t.v should not have any power whatsoever to impact the outcome of a tournament...

you can see how this impacts the better players disproportionately, don't you? unless you believe what happened on that one hole was the only scenario where this mistake occurred all week...it may or may not be common but i am certain it happens way more than we think and players get away with it because no one noticed or because they weren't on t.v or whatever...for me either the rules officials should be that vigilant that nothing escapes their scrutiny or these kind of rules should be administered after the fact based on common sense, not some rigid nonsensical tradition...

yes it's all fairly ridiculous, TBH, I don't mind too much if the TV viewer sees it before the end of the round, but to do it retrospectively and announce it to players as the last round is going on is farce, because in the end Thompson was playing as if she had a lead, the players behind were playing to chase for the vast majority of the day, to switch it all about is wrong for everyone.

I'm hoping this will be a catalyst and basically they'll say when you tee up the next day, that's it, nothing can change, it's not fair on anyone. Mistakes happen. If it was deliberate cheating which I don't think anyone sane suggests this was, then DQ, fair enough, but this was silly.

I have to say I could be fuming now, because I often do back Lexi Thompson, but she had an illness recently, and I was saving my sheckels for the Masters. So I'll admit I'd have possibly beenpissed off if she'd won. an illwind that blows no good, as they say.:ph34r:

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Jason Day 3, Rory Mac 2, Phil Mickelson 18, Ernie Els 410 (just picking cos it's his last time to Augusta and he was epic back in the day), and another dream pick Sergio 11

social

regarding the masters...there are a lot of contenders this week...fowler is playing well but i don't see much to be impressed about his finishing abilities so far so unless he laps the field or something i don't see him winning...if it is a rain-soaked golf course, a lot of players have a chance this week especially if there is no wind...
http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/4/4/15184332/phil-mickelson-lexi-thompson-penalty-masters-2017