Page 118 of 131 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1965
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Brilliant putting performance from Rory to win Oz Open whilst Scott was polar opposite

Latter would've been so far out of sight if he was any better than ordinary with the flat stick that it wasn't funny
    yeah scott threw this away...must have been a great relief for rory to finally win one...now let's see how follows it up at the sherwood country club...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Straight-forward pars at the last then
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Straight-forward pars at the last then
    yeah it was a weird but spectacular finish at sherwood...tiger putted horribly on sunday, he had many chances on the green to put this out of zach's reach but couldn't and then paid the price on 18th...that approach to the 18th in the playoff from the middle of the fairway was just weird...kudos to johnson for hanging in there and closing strong but tiger threw this one away...

Lydia Ko to be bigger than any golfer in terms of marketability. Woods' marketing charm is going to possibly never recover to where it was. Adam Scott and Rory McIlroy Might be around for a while. But Lydia Ko is showing real talent.
    Definitely watching this space
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Rahane 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Steyn 10. Herath 11. Roach

I want West Indies to be competitive again

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Anyone know somewhere that does personalized balls in aus?
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Lydia Ko to be bigger than any golfer in terms of marketability. Woods' marketing charm is going to possibly never recover to where it was. Adam Scott and Rory McIlroy Might be around for a while. But Lydia Ko is showing real talent.
    Definitely watching this space
    Cant see it happening as Inbee Park won 3 consecutive majors this year and was barely mentioned

Women's golf is still a very poor cousin compared to the men's game where money/exposure is concerned

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Am having a hit at The Glades Saturday morning...should be interesting. I've only played once in about 4 years, so not expecting miracles. I find golf far more enjoyable when you play it intermittently though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Cant see it happening as Inbee Park won 3 consecutive majors this year and was barely mentioned

Women's golf is still a very poor cousin compared to the men's game where money/exposure is concerned
    The demeanour of Park is the difference. So many have the same tough until under serious pressure. Tiger was another level. Ko gives me a similar feeling to Miller or Sobers in cricket. Good solid players but who realised the game wasn't everything. It might be because she's young, but I get the feeling she's going to go big.
    You're right though in terms of marketability. The women's game is never going to be taken as seriously as it deserves. To that end I hope that Lydia Ko doesn't go down a path where she ends up getting her kit off or anything.

Agree with Schearzie here, she's a major talent, great personality, brilliant game, signed with IMG, and just signed a big contract with Calloway and also with ANZ, for what that's worth.

Throws like a girl though

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    The main problem with women's golf attracting the money and attention men's does is the quality on display (of golf I mean). They're just not as good, and don't have the 'wow' factor the men's game has when it comes to skills. I have been to a few women's tournaments and while they're fun to attend and there are a few very good players there, overall there's just not the talent there is in the men's game. The upside of it is when you watch the women's game you find yourself thinking "I can hit it that far" and it makes you realise you don't have to be hitting it 300 yards to score well (although you do if you're off the back markers, instead of a bit further up).

Of course, there are standouts like Sorenstam, Webb etc, who have very good swings and dominate for a long time, but the average player on the WLPGA is just that, very average.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    that's women's sport for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    The main problem with women's golf attracting the money and attention men's does is the quality on display (of golf I mean). They're just not as good, and don't have the 'wow' factor the men's game has when it comes to skills. I have been to a few women's tournaments and while they're fun to attend and there are a few very good players there, overall there's just not the talent there is in the men's game. The upside of it is when you watch the women's game you find yourself thinking "I can hit it that far" and it makes you realise you don't have to be hitting it 300 yards to score well (although you do if you're off the back markers, instead of a bit further up).

Of course, there are standouts like Sorenstam, Webb etc, who have very good swings and dominate for a long time, but the average player on the WLPGA is just that, very average.
    It's a real shame. But I do agree with you. But with Sorenstam and Webb the situation was different to now. Marketing has changed, she may not be a huge person on the world stage, but she's younger than Sorenstam was when she reached the talent that Ko has. And Ko has more skills than what Webb had. Different time and Webb was a stand out back then.
    That's what I find the biggest shame. Because it still doesn't change what you've said. She can't hit it 300y average. The clubs most of the top women are hitting in on an average par 4 in the US is a wedge. 90% of the time. It's not exciting in the sense for most viewers. I wish I had an easy answer, but it is as Riggins has said, for now at least.

Nah, she really doesn't hit it very far, she's very accurate, and can use the fairway woods very well, but she's not one of the big hitters in the woman's game, some can smack it. Yet she's still only 16 I'm sure she'll add length.

LexiThompson, probably hits it furthest most consistently. That's about 270 odd. She's only 18 too. Possibly more marketable than Ko.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    LexiThompson, probably hits it furthest most consistently. That's about 270 odd. She's only 18 too. Possibly more marketable than Ko.
    Based on looks I'd agree.

Should be said though, the LPGA has taken over from the WTA in burn-out. Plenty of early retirements and people not achieving what it looked like they would.

Thread Information