• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Choi and Stenson bite the dust today.

I liked Woods answer to the interviewer there, asked if he enjoyed these close matches, he said "nah I'd rather blow them away". :cool:
cink has been playing exceptionally well so far, if he doesn't fall prey to the tiger effect, something could happen...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
cink has been playing exceptionally well so far, if he doesn't fall prey to the tiger effect, something could happen...
If he plays like he did against Leonard*, he's got a chance.

Match of the tournament for me was Appleby against Micklesen.

* I really rate Justins chances of doing well this year, his form has been great over the last few months. Certainly could win the Players (which he's won before) Masters (where his putting could be key) or the OPen (where his record is decent. All depending on Tigger though. Lucky the bookies do "betting without Woods", tbh8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
well cink gets crushed 8 & 7...:laugh: :laugh: , this guy is just incredible...

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Belated congrats to the Kiwi golfer Mark Brown, who won the Johnnie Walker Classic in India, just a week after his first (?) career win. He now gets a two-year exemption on the European Tour.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
good showing by ernie els to pick up his first pga tour win in around 4 yrs at the honda classic...he has moved up to no: 3 in the world now...

grecian

My fave golfer John Daly seems to be totally self-destructing at the moment.

Interesting article here.

It's time for golfer John Daly to get some tough love

After missing tee time at pro-am and being disqualified from Arnold Palmer Invitational, it's time his defenders get real and keep this soap opera from reaching sad ending that seems inevitable.
By David Whitley, Orlando Sentinel
March 13, 2008
The 8:40 tee time in the pro-am arrived Wednesday morning and John Daly didn't.

He stiffed three partners and Arnold Palmer, though that now qualifies as resume enhancement for Daly. The worse he behaves, the better his fans like it.

The downside is their hero was disqualified from the Arnold Palmer Invitational because he failed to appear for the pro-am. I normally wouldn't joke that Daly picked a bad week to give up drinking. But a) he hasn't given it up, and b) he's proud of it.

Wednesday's no-show came a day after Butch Harmon realized he can't help somebody who won't help himself.

With that, the renowned coach dropped his most talented client. If only Daly's defenders would do the same, this perpetual soap opera might not have the sad ending that seems inevitable.

"My whole goal for him was he's got to show me golf is the most important thing in his life," Harmon told the Associated Press. "And the most important thing in his life is getting drunk."

So why not try tough love? It's obvious that unadulterated love isn't working.

That only encourages Daly to give the masses what they want, which is a rowdy bull in the PGA's china shop. I'm all for Everyman taking some of the stuffiness out of golf. But Daly is no longer a golfer, he's a marketing concept.

The latest evidence came at last week's PODS Championship in Palm Harbor, Fla. Daly showed up with three missed cuts and one withdrawal to show for seven tournaments this year. Rain interrupted the first round, so he retired to the Hooter's Owl's Nest, a hospitality tent where $69 got all the wings and beer you could ingest.

Nobody's said Daly downed either product, but when play resumed his caddie was Tampa Bay Buccaneers Coach Jon Gruden. Say what you will about the value of caddies, but having an NFL coach read greens and give you yardages isn't going to help your score.

Daly ended up shooting a 78. The next day he mailed in an 80, which left him free for the weekend.

He returned to the Hooter's tent Saturday and spent hours autographing everything, including a woman's rear end. It was all harmless fun and showed why the guy is so easy to love.

"It is on the one hand something that makes him very endearing to fans, because he is perhaps the ultimate come-from-behind, blue-collar, upstart kind of situation," Commissioner Tim Finchem said. "On the other hand, we have certain conduct things we have to maintain."

Among them are not acting like a 16-year-old trapped in a decaying 41-year-old body.

Between all the autographing and back-slapping, Daly downed quite a few mugs of beer and flipped off a photographer.

It's all part of the image for someone who peddles "Grip It and Tip It" T-shirts on his website. And no doubt his antics were a big hit with everyone who could brag they tipped it with Big John.

Those people are always quick to say we have no right to judge, even though they certainly have.

They demand we respect John's right to be John. But they never demand he respect his sport or fellow competitors.

Friends have tried to help him get his life together. Corporate benefactors have continually bailed him out. Like Harmon, they all ended up disappointed.

"If he's not going to give 100%," Harmon said, "it's a waste of my time."

At least he won't keep enabling the train wreck. Palmer might have gotten the message too. Better to give a sponsor's exemption to an obscure golfer who'll appreciate it enough to at least show up on time.

Daly said he just got his tee time mixed up. The first three alternates also weren't on site and were disqualified. The last one, Nick O'Hern, never figured he'd be needed.

"This is a tough one to take," he told the Associated Press. "Unfortunately, we got caught up in John's snowball effect."

For what it's worth, Daly said he's sorry. No doubt, his fans will forgive him. And no doubt, the tournament would have been more interesting with him.

But if people really want to help him, they would stop treating Big John like such a hero.

LATIMES

Good sentiments, but I'll instantly ignore it.

He's your typical anti-hero, and thats why we love him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the guy is a good golfer but a total buffoon...for someone who earns his living playing as a professional golfer, what he is doing now is so incredibly stupid..

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
McDowell continueing his good early season form. If he keeps it up could have a genuine Ryder Cup shout. Happy to see McGinley back towards the top of the leader-board also,

grecian

Oh yeah and.....

Woods won again, blah blah blah, amazing putt final hole, blah blah blah, didn't even seem to be playing that well early rounds blah blah blah, frightening for the rest of the year, blah blah blah.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah and.....

Woods won again, blah blah blah, amazing putt final hole, blah blah blah, didn't even seem to be playing that well early rounds blah blah blah, frightening for the rest of the year, blah blah blah.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:, you really hate him, don't you?

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
McDowell continueing his good early season form. If he keeps it up could have a genuine Ryder Cup shout. Happy to see McGinley back towards the top of the leader-board also,
yeah...jeev milka singh gave him a stiff fight but in the end, mcdowell was just too good on the day...

grecian

hey grecian, who are you betting on for the ca championship?:)
Errr, it's been a fairly distressing year for me betting wise. I blame Woods, tbh:)

I'm about 150 quid down on the year. Still up 100 over the three years I've been keeping record though. I've done Baddely, Howell, Immelman, Villegas and Romero. So my losing streak not about to end. Actually Romeros got a chance, because I backed him at 28-1 in a ROW category which doesn't include Yanks, Ausies or Euros.

Considered Scott, but felt 33-1 was too skinny, not a great move, tbf.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Errr, it's been a fairly distressing year for me betting wise. I blame Woods, tbh:)

I'm about 150 quid down on the year. Still up 100 over the three years I've been keeping record though. I've done Baddely, Howell, Immelman, Villegas and Romero. So my losing streak not about to end. Actually Romeros got a chance, because I backed him at 28-1 in a ROW category which doesn't include Yanks, Ausies or Euros.

Considered Scott, but felt 33-1 was too skinny, not a great move, tbf.
well a packed field after 2 2/3 rounds...tiger in shared 3rd with singh and clark...this could be where his streak ends...and scott has more than a fair chance right now...

grecian

well a packed field after 2 2/3 rounds...tiger in shared 3rd with singh and clark...this could be where his streak ends...and scott has more than a fair chance right now...
Well, Tigers moved into joint-second, but Oglivie has started well, could be interesting.....

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Speaking of gambling on golf, my mate has €10 E/W on Ogilvy at 33/1 and €10 E/W without Tiger at 22/1
Will make a very nice payout indeed if he manages to win.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well, Tigers moved into joint-second, but Oglivie has started well, could be interesting.....
tiger is 8th right now and the way he is playing, i don't think he will catch any of the leaders unless they screw up big time and that really doesn't seem likely...the streak ends here...

grecian

It did indeed end. Tad bizarre really, he probably played better then he has recently, tee-to-green, but putted poorly. The ole saying "drive for show, putt for dough", I guess.

Well done to the Aussie, another sport they're patently better then us at.8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It did indeed end. Tad bizarre really, he probably played better then he has recently, tee-to-green, but putted poorly. The ole saying "drive for show, putt for dough", I guess.

yeah it was weird to see all the big names putt amazingly well and the greatest putter of them all struggling on what were pretty friendly greens for the most part...a significant point is that for all his struggles, he still ended up just two strokes behind...it was the bizarre 3rd round that did him in, if he had managed a reasonable round there (-3, -4 etc), he would have probably won by 2-3 strokes..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking of gambling on golf, my mate has €10 E/W on Ogilvy at 33/1 and €10 E/W without Tiger at 22/1
Will make a very nice payout indeed if he manages to win.
Respect to your mate re the Ogilvy bet.

A long list, and only getting longer by the year :p