• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
spieth and day in the final group, some spectacular golf...should be a cracker tomorrow...day should hopefully get his 1st major, he is overdue but whatever happens, this kid spieth is just amazing...rose, grace, kaymer all in contention...it's truly the next generation of stars now, rory and dj, the only ones missing from the party, looking for them to make a run early tomorrow to make things even more interesting....

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rory has done brilliantly to be where he is after the injury. Not many could do that after time out and first one back is a major. Had a year to forget but his rivalry with Speith will keep us all entertained for years. Day gets this one and he may be the last part of a dominant trio, has to get that first one out the way though first.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yes rory has played very well to be where he is right now (t-17) and if he gets it going tomorrow like he did at the beginning of his 3rd round, he has a good chance for a top 10 or maybe even a top 5 finish...also he hasn't had a bad year, has 3 worldwide wins including a wgc, top 10 finishes in the two majors he played in...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Nothing to weird in isolation, but things like a 180 drive followed by a 140 sand wedge i just find a bit odd!
Strike mainly the factor there. I'm very inconsistent with the driver, so it would have been a bad drive, followed by a downhill, down-wind Sand Wedge. Very difficult to assess the situation of the shot on a 2d image. Those numbers are also total distance, not carry, and the greens were fairly hard, so there was a fair bit of roll out.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Day deserves to win, he's been immense in majors for awhile, but stop the ****ing crying mate.

social

Brilliant stuff from Day

Seems to be made of stern stuff and is an amazing talent so chances are that he will join Rory & Jordan at the top for a while

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
day just too good today...historic win with the highest score in relation to par in major history...and jordan spieth becomes world no:1 at 22! forgot to mention, excellent performance by anirbhan lahiri to finish 5th!

Last edited:

social

Just read a bit of Day's life story - not your typical golfer

Started playing with clubs his dad picked out of the garbage

Dad dies when he is 12 and Day falls in with the wrong crowd

Mum hocks everything to send him to boarding school to get him off streets

Roomie gives him a book on Tiger which inspires him to practices 30 hours a week with same ****ty old clubs

Gets a scholarship

Major winner

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
this is shaping up to be a pretty good era right now, hope these guys can keep up this level for the next several years...

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I was in a competition with Day when he was 14 in a junior comp. Even then he was amazing, and everyone there said how good he was. Played great even then (he must have already had the Tiger Book). I'm so glad he's done this, the Schearzie house will be a bit drunk tonight!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Made up for him, deserves that. Done brilliantly after that scare at US Open.

The top 3 in the rankings could dominate for ages.

Son Of Coco

So awesome to see Jason Day win, and what a life story he has.

Perhaps inspired by his win, I went out today at Wynnum for my first game in a month and rattled off a 74. The first 8 holes were ridiculous - hit every green and was 1 under, and from holes 5 through 8 I hit a 5 iron to 4 feet, a wedge to 8 feet, a wedge to 2 feet, and a wedge to 4 feet...and only made one of the putts. You'd think it was the 2 footer wouldn't you, but you'd be wrong. On the back nine I managed to miss 3 more putts from 6 feet and under, including a birdie on the last.

Only downside was the committee member I was playing with telling me there was no free drop off the gravel on 12 that leads onto the buggy bridge. Thought he was wrong, and it turns out he was. Lost my footing in the gravel, flummed it behind a tree, and made double. Got beaten on a count back for the comp :@

Top day though, how can you complain when you're spending time outside?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
woods loses steam again on saturday, now two shots back...he is technically still in contention but today proved he isn't ready to win yet...there are plenty of guys who can get hot and run away with this tournament...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
as expected, woods losing the plot early in the final round...bunched-up leaderboard, a lot of players in the mix...