• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
johnny miller can be a real asshole but norman is a poor replacement for him...he rivals faldo in blandness, continuing the great rivalry from their playing days...:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Must be in contention for the worst course ever to host a major

**** that, must be in contention for the worst course ever to host a halfway decent tourney

What a goat track!

The winner will obviously have needed to play well but there is so much luck involved that it has just made it a joke
yeah pretty poor course for a major championship...the steadiest player won though which is usually what happens in u.s opens...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Tee to green I liked it. The greens though were absolutely dire. Not good for the USGA, and I cannot see Chambers ever hosting another major tournament. The greens were shockingly bad.

How bloody good is Jordan Spieth though! The lad is a born winner. Be very surprised if he doesn't win all 4 major in his career. Won't do it this year, but he's going to win plenty.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah pretty poor course for a major championship...the steadiest player won though which is usually what happens in u.s opens...
Spieth is a superb golfer so no issues with him winning

I followed him around for much of his final round at the Aussie Open and it was literally the best golf that I've ever seen - if he keeps putting well, I can see him dominating golf with Rory winning a few majors in between when he gets on a roll

My problem with the course is that it needed to be tricked up (e.g. pars for certain holes were changed between rounds, the course super was instructed to stop watering it weeks ago and pins were placed in ridiculous positions) to be a suitable Open venue and many parts of it were in pretty poor shape

This, in turn, led to situations where "good" play sometimes went unrewarded and blind luck came into play on others e.g. there was one hole where, in the first 2 rounds, you could not shoot at the pin as the ball wouldn't stay within 50 feet of the hole if you did so and the only ball that got close was as a result of hitting a sprinkler head off the green and bouncing at right angles

Added to the ****ty greens and it really was a poor venue

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Some of the holes were just badly designed too. One hole in particular Jason Day striped his drive right down the middle, and ended up rolling 30 yards right off the fairway into a bunker. Was ridiculous. Can't see it hosting a major tournament anytime soon. The greens need some serious work!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How bloody good is Jordan Spieth though! The lad is a born winner. Be very surprised if he doesn't win all 4 major in his career. Won't do it this year, but he's going to win plenty.
Going to be great watching him and Rory go toe to toe like they surely will on numerous occasions in the next 10/15 years. The sort of rivalry that is good for a sport.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, the only chance of that not happening is if Jordan's putting goes cold. He's pretty average tee-to-green, and makes his money with his putting. The amount of clutch par putts he makes is absolutely ridiculous, if he loses that ability, which, he's bound to at points in his career, he's unlikely to win. He doesn't get himself in much trouble, so he's unlikely to ever be shooting massively over par, but his good scoring comes from his putting game.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
tiger goes under par at the greenbrier! now let's see if he can do that on consecutive days and make the cut...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Justin Rose is going well ATM, think he could go well, and reckon Tiger's not done yet. Had his closest proximity to the hole measurement of his career in the final round at The Greenbrier, so he's finding some form. Would love Spieth to do the business and win the first 3 though, would build some major hype going into the USPGA.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to be great watching him and Rory go toe to toe like they surely will on numerous occasions in the next 10/15 years. The sort of rivalry that is good for a sport.
Well it would if Rory gave up football.

Guess it is a fine line between them having fun in downtime and taking risks. Can't just be golf robots though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Phil said it best Re: McIlroy:

"I can't talk about (McIlroy accident) for the simple reason I did it myself," Mickelson said ahead of the Scottish Open in Gullane. "In '94 I snapped my femur in half before the Masters.

"I said then, and I feel the same way now, you can't live your life in fear. You have to enjoy the moment. I didn't feel like anything he (McIlroy) was doing was unnecessary risk. He was just playing around and accidents happen.

"People get hurt taking a shower and doing normal day-to-day things. You can't stop living your life. It's unfortunate that it happened. Hopefully he'll heal soon and be back at it. If he can't play next week, certainly by the PGA I would hope (where McIlroy is also defending champion)."

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Justin Rose is going well ATM, think he could go well, and reckon Tiger's not done yet. Had his closest proximity to the hole measurement of his career in the final round at The Greenbrier, so he's finding some form. Would love Spieth to do the business and win the first 3 though, would build some major hype going into the USPGA.
Spieth has a great chance now with mcilroy out...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the kid is playing some special golf right now...he didn't have anything close to his best on monday but still found a way to win...brilliant! well done to fowler as well, finally starting to win some tournaments...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Jordan is unbelievably good. That 61 on Saturday is the sort of round that Vintage Tiger would put up when he needed it. So, so impressive. Has to be massive favourite coming into The Open, though I reckon Oosthuizen could go well. Did well at Chambers Bay, and has a history of good performances at St Andrews. Love Open week, so excited for it to get going!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
David Lingmerth -6 after 12.
Jordan Spieth -2 after 3
Tiger a bogey at the first.

***EDIT***
A bogey for Tiger at the 2nd as well.

Last edited: