• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who were the greatest sportsmen of the last century?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
carl lewis
jesse owens
rod laver
pete sampras
don bradman
gary sobers
michael jordan
michael schumacher
diego maradona
pele
jack nicklaus
garry kasparov

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in about 8 countries he is.....
i wouldnt consider any crickets for this award simply because of the fact it hasnt been played in enough countries at the top level for the last 130 years....

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
so? how does that stop them being great sportsmen?

that really doesn't make much sense, the only sports you could use is soccer, running and (maybe) tennis!

cbuts

International Debutant
ud look for the man who dominated his sport like no other. so aryton senter shouldnt be in the list. he could a/woulda been great. imagine the schumacer senter battle, but alas it never was to be. far to many people to select one, its to opionated to just choose one sportsman

Langeveldt

Soutie
1/ Don Bradman
2/ Babe Ruth
3/ Pele
4/ Michael Schumacher
5/ Gary Kasparov
6/ Jesse Owens
7/ Tiger Woods
8/ Garfield Sobers
9/ Jona Lomu

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TDCC Young Guns said:
ud look for the man who dominated his sport like no other. so aryton senter shouldnt be in the list. he could a/woulda been great. imagine the schumacer senter battle, but alas it never was to be. far to many people to select one, its to opionated to just choose one sportsman
Its senna, not senter......
and besides hes got schumacher covered, theres never been a driver in the same class as senna, except for maybe fangio.....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
Ayrton Senna and Pele
no one else worth mentioning IMO
senna could've been the greatest ever, but sadly he didn't live long enough to prove that, so he can't be called the greatest ever as far as achievements or accomplishments go....

Swervy

International Captain
I wouldnt want to comment on sportsmen/women I have never seen play their sport whilst I have been aware of sport (and so the obvious Pele,Bradman I cant coment on,as I can only go off what other people have said)

So for me, my list must include ian Botham,Jerry Rice (wide receiver for the San Fran 49ers and Oakland Raiders),Navratilova,Zidane,Maradona,Carl Lewis,Daley Thompson

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Pele wasn't that great as a player as he performed well only against minor teams, against which he used to play all the time. His average against the minor or south american teams is 3.4 goals per game, and 0.4 against rest of the countries e.g. Germany, England.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
This is my list, not in any order:
1/Pele
2/Hank Aaron
3/Babe Ruth
4/Tiger Woods
5/Jack Niclaus
6/Micheal Schumacher
7/Cy Young
8/Donald Bradman
9/Garfield Sobers
10/Micheal Jordan
11/Larry Bird
12/Earvin "Magic" Johnson
13/Jesse Owens
14/Pete Sampras
15/Muhammad Ali(last but not least :) )

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Add Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds to the list.
Barry only really exploded post 2000.Lance was only really noticed in this century.Think he only won one or two titles before that.

cbuts

International Debutant
tiger did **** all in the 90's u cant include him in a list of 20th centruy players