• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nigel Mansell: 'F1 too boring to watch'

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_16359.shtml

Nigel Mansell: 'F1 too boring to watch'
Monday July 05 2004

Former World Champion Nigel Mansell has admitted that he can’t bear to watch Formula One anymore because it has become too monotonous and unexciting.
Six-time World Champion Michael Schumacher drove his Ferrari to victory on Sunday at Magny-Cours, just like he has done nine out of ten times this season.

But Britain's Nigel Mansell - who competed in 185 races over 15 years until 1995 and took the world title in 1992 – says he just can't watch the sport anymore.

"I’ve tried to defend it because it meant such a lot to me for so many years, but even I can no longer go on defending the indefensible," Mansell told The Times newspaper.

"How can you when there is virtually no overtaking on the track and little genuine excitement?" he asked.

"I still keep in touch with what’s happening in Formula One and Ill usually sit down to watch the start of a Grand Prix -- but after a few laps I find I cant watch any more and switch off. It’s that bad."

Mansell puts the blame on cars being allowed more than one engine.

"The regulations, far from helping the other teams, are helping Ferrari, who have an incredible record of reliability," said the former Ferrari driver.

"Michael last had a breakdown three years ago, so which team is likely to be least affected by the one engine rule? Ferrari, of course. And if they do have to change an engine and forfeit places on the grid, they are the one team capable of making up those places."

"It’s a Mickey Mouse rule - and what were left with is not a level playing field. I don’t buy the argument about saving money. Its nothing compared with the cost of development and testing."

Nigel said Formula One has also become too easy: "The most inexperienced young driver can climb into a Formula One car and drive it competently. Formula One is the pinnacle of motorsport and engineering excellence, but it should be the ultimate test of driving ability," he said.

"You can’t judge anyone until you strip the cars of the technical stuff and put them back into the control of the drivers," concluded Mansell.

weather or not you agree with mansell its worrying that someone like him could feel this way, i know theres quite a few f1 fans on the forum here and they would probably agree with this, but why do you think the FIA arent seriously doing things to stop this kind of domination??

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He's dead right.

Any rule changes need to be approved by team bosses under the Concorde agreement (AFAIK) - and there's enough happy with the status quo as it for nothing to happen.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think this might be the time to refresh you all on the CW Fantasy F1 league...

1 Harmy Army 1024
2 Tiger boys 901
3 Albert Drives On 794
4 Team Webber 725
5 DJellett Racing 699
6 Broncos 617
7 The Riders Of Rohan 599
8 Ferd 525
9 Morporkians 414
10 Team DDD 384
11 An F1 Team 304

Simon

for starters qualifying needs to be changed, if it went back to the old format its heading in the right direction. i hear they are looking to change some tyre rules to lower the speeds, but im sure the teams will find away around lower speeds....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Damn right.. Its incredibly boring.. Ive got nothing against consistant success like Schumacher has achieved, but to be honest there is not much excitement in between.. Watch Touring cars if you want some proper racing :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It always has been, and always will be boring. Doesn't matter if there was a different winner every race.

Simon

Mister Wright said:
It always has been, and always will be boring. Doesn't matter if there was a different winner every race.
i cant agree with that, f1 is the pinacle of motor racing, right now its in a rough patch, but i have faith it will eventually bounce back and will be more exciting than ever.

Simon

Moto GP is a lot better than superbikes, ive really only started getting into moto gp in the last 2 years but i love it now, go Rossi!!!!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's exciting about it? You watch cars go round & round & round & round....I could go stand at Albion five ways for free and get exactly the same amount of entertainment, and I wouldn't have to spend money on it.

I watch about 2 mins of car racing a year, and that is the beginning of Bathurst. That is about as exciting as car racing gets.

Simon

meh, thats ur opinion, i guess u just dont like motor racing, theres plenty of people who dont!

Deja moo

International Captain
Schumacher should change teams like Rossi did in MotoGP.

IMO< Ferrari contributes a lot to his success. Lets see him do the same with some other team.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yeah Ferarri does contribute alot to his success, just the reliability alone of his car is amazing compared to others. Not to mention the stratigic plans they make for each race.

Moto GP is great, very hard racing between the field, i enjoy it more then F1 for sure, The best time i watched F1 was with the Damon Hill - Michael Schumacher rivalry, Benneton and Williams. I enjoyed that a great deal. Most of you older guys will probly see more exciting rivalries from the past but those 2 always stuck out in my mind.

Even the V8 Supercars is getting more and more boring to watch. We have a series over here that supports the Perth leg of the V8's called the V6 Super Saloons (from memory) It has VN/VP Commodores and EA/EB Falcons, that is great to watch, really competitive, was the highlight of the day for me when i went to the V8's last year.

Hopefully the changes made to F1 will help out in coming seasons + further changes.

Moto GP - Go Biaggi :P

Simon

Biaggi cant even win when gibenau and rossi dont finish the race! hes got nothing!

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Pfft, I knew you would pipe up lol. Biaggi has a quick bike in a straight line, but thats about it!

Simon

and he cant even ride it properlly! he is the david coulthard of moto gp, should have acihieved more by now for sure....

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Well he played second fiddle to Mick during his career, now Rossi is here hes playing 2nd-3rd fiddle to him, been unlucky I guess, but consistantly finishes in a good position - behind Rossi and Gibenau!

Simon

sounds exactly like a coulthard-esqe career!
but he really should have taken the most of his position on the weekend, he was leading both rossi and gibernau before they went off and still couldnt win!