• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby : New Zealand All Blacks vs England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
ahh yes, the retirements, the injuries....NZ decided to not pick 8 former key players like Mehrtens, Randell, Oliver etc before the WC & we're still managing to do ok without them.

Now obviously that was our problem that we didn't pick them for the W.C but we haven't really gone downhill since that decision was made.

NZ seem to have a new trial team everytime they take the field..I wish they'd get some consistency in selection. Im hoping with Henry, Hansen & Smith they'll do that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not also forget that NZ lose about 5 or 6 players every year to English or Japanese clubs...hardly any English players leave their clubs because they get enough money to stay.

Spencer's playing well..but eventually i'd like to see Nick Evans at 5/8 & Carter at 2nd 5/8...that would be a mean combination.
Luke McAllister is another good 5/8 and I see he's doing really well at the Under 21 tournament.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cloete said:
At times.... it's strange. Sometimes you are sometiems you aren't. You displayed both in this trhead alone.
Maybe he just supports someone and tries hard to be fair and unbiased, but sometimes it doesnt work...
Ditto moi....

Craig

World Traveller
I'm so happy when the All Blacks win, really makes me happy and lifts my spirts.

If there is one place where you do not want to play the All Blacks is at 'The House of Pain' aka Carisbrook, and in all honsety, given NZ's record there, England may well have lost had they been full strength (ie people like Jonny and Robinson etc.).

Andre

International Regular
Tim said:
ahh yes, the retirements, the injuries....NZ decided to not pick 8 former key players like Mehrtens, Randell, Oliver etc before the WC & we're still managing to do ok without them.
Here lies the differance - in NZ there were clearly superior alternatives to those players.

In England, there are not - surely you would have to accept that it's a differant kettle of fish? Don't get me wrong, I dislike the English rugby side as much as you all do, but lets be fair here!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
Here lies the differance - in NZ there were clearly superior alternatives to those players.

In England, there are not - surely you would have to accept that it's a differant kettle of fish? Don't get me wrong, I dislike the English rugby side as much as you all do, but lets be fair here!
Fish? FISH?

I'm not sure they play much rugby in Norway.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Which makes it all more concerning for England considering they have more than 3 or 4 times the amount of players than NZ do..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You keep going on about this whole size thing, but it's immaterial IMO.

Especially when you look at the relative size of support for the sport.

nibbs

International Captain
i have to agree with marc on this one. if what tim says is true, china and india should run riot at the Olympics, with their giant populations. but this wont happen.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
No im talking about the pop^ of a country playing the sport..not the overall pop^ of a country.
Sure China has a huge pop^, but how many actually participate in athletics & do China actually have enough resources to cover all those people?

The English rugby union pump a huge amount of money into their game which should reach a wider number of players.

Craig

World Traveller
Actually in China, the sport, according to reports, is raising in popularity and is the official sport of the national army.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Can anyone imagine a Chinese forward pack? hate to say it, but I don't think rugby is a sport China will ever really support.

nibbs

International Captain
Can anyone imagine a Chinese forward pack? hate to say it, but I don't think rugby is a sport China will ever really support

hhahahaha. its hard to imagine.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Except that Rugby Union is a Southern and Upper Class sport.
Yet you do not read the bit where I said it was the sport that is played in the Chinese Army.

Anyway what you have said (the Sourthern bit) only really applies to England.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Yet you do not read the bit where I said it was the sport that is played in the Chinese Army.

Anyway what you have said (the Sourthern bit) only really applies to England.
Because I was responding to Tim's point about the English player base.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone want to predict Saturday's score?

I think the English forwards are going to stand up this week meaning that the difference could be in the backs. NZ clearly have the edge in that area. Im looking forward to seeing Nick Evans have a run at fullback, although he's being touted as the next 5/8 with the AB's.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I predict NZ by 12 and under.

Perhaps somewhere around 21-17 or so.