• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sports that you've learned to love later in life

andmark

International Captain
I can sorta watch Golf now if its the last round of a major, I appreciate the pressure on the players now which passed me by as a kid. Likewise I can deal with Boxing if its a big fight - again its the human element rather than the spectacle that's attracting me in
Yeah, I've grown to like golf. I got a Tiger Woods game about three years ago which taught me to appreciate the variable involved in a single shot.

For the past few years I've been trying to understand the strategy in what's termed "invasion sports", but of those, it's only really football and the NFL which I've grown to like.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I really got into cricket around 2002/2003, but test matches leaving domestic, free-to-air, TV (i.e. channel 4) really killed it for me. Was never into it in the same way after that.

MMA is one I have tried to get into, but just can't. I think Brumby said it best, when he once posted about how it's tough watching someone who has already fallen to the floor being sat on and just beaten until they are unconscious. This is a lot more bearable when the person receiving the beating is a total **** who you despise (which does often seem to be the case tbf), but it's just not for me really.

Tennis is another sport I just cbf to watch anymore. I don't not enjoy it. But often I just feel like you may as well just start watching 3 sets in.

andmark

International Captain
MMA is one I have tried to get into, but just can't. I think Brumby said it best, when he once posted about how it's tough watching someone who has already fallen to the floor being sat on and just beaten until they are unconscious. This is a lot more bearable when the person receiving the beating is a total **** who you despise (which does often seem to be the case tbf), but it's just not for me really.
Yeah, I've tried to follow MMA, but that sort of stuff turns my stomach.

cnerd123

likes this
I really got into cricket around 2002/2003, but test matches leaving domestic, free-to-air, TV (i.e. channel 4) really killed it for me. Was never into it in the same way after that.

Tennis is another sport I just cbf to watch anymore. I don't not enjoy it. But often I just feel like you may as well just start watching 3 sets in.
Yeah, I've tried to follow MMA, but that sort of stuff turns my stomach.
I don't know if you both have watched recently or not, but the refereeing of MMA fights have now become very proactive to avoid the kind of scenario you're describing. Like, if someone is dropped by a strike, the referee is prepared to swoop in and call it a KO before any ground shots can be landed. The only time they let the standing fighter follow the grounded one to the mat is when the grounded one is conscious and alert by the time he hits the mat. So like, if he just stumbled, or was briefly sat down for a moment. He can then escape, stand back up, or counter the fighter trying to rush into him. But, if he's grounded and doesn't look like he can intelligently defend himself anymore, then even if he isn't fully knocked out, the fight is stopped. They err on the side of calling a fight off early, rather than allowing an extended beating.

Sometimes there is a bit of GNP, but it's never one guy brutally beating up a guy not resisting anymore. If a guy takes a few unanswered shots, the fight is stopped, sometimes even if he is resisting but not succeeding.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Baseball- absolutely love it. The concept of the relief pitchers coming out in the 1st innings to save the starting pitcher's *** is one of the great sights in baseball.
American Football- loved playing Madden NFL as a teenager, so it's ingrained in me.
Golf- have played two half rounds of golf with an old friend once. I like it.

Some minor sport like curling, volleyball, badminton, table-tennis, squash. And battle bots.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't know if you both have watched recently or not, but the refereeing of MMA fights have now become very proactive to avoid the kind of scenario you're describing. Like, if someone is dropped by a strike, the referee is prepared to swoop in and call it a KO before any ground shots can be landed. The only time they let the standing fighter follow the grounded one to the mat is when the grounded one is conscious and alert by the time he hits the mat. So like, if he just stumbled, or was briefly sat down for a moment. He can then escape, stand back up, or counter the fighter trying to rush into him. But, if he's grounded and doesn't look like he can intelligently defend himself anymore, then even if he isn't fully knocked out, the fight is stopped. They err on the side of calling a fight off early, rather than allowing an extended beating.

Sometimes there is a bit of GNP, but it's never one guy brutally beating up a guy not resisting anymore. If a guy takes a few unanswered shots, the fight is stopped, sometimes even if he is resisting but not succeeding.
Yeah, no doubt. But it's a sport where, in lieu of ref intervention, the default response is to pile in until your opponent stops moving. I just find that premise very troubling.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Formula 1. Couldn't stand any form of racing as a kid or teen that wasn't Speed Racer. As an adult I can now fully recognise that Formula 1 IS Speed Racer.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is very much the case for me as well. When I was younger I pretty much watched any sport I could as we did not have Sky. Now Cricket and Football are so far ahead of anything else, sports like Rugby and Tennis have fallen off a huge amount, I just cant sustain any interest for them and even if I did I just don't have time for them.

The exceptions are Cycling and Golf but they are contained to their major events for me. Then there is Formula 1 which is pretty **** but it is still the first sport I ever loved.

the big bambino

International Captain
MMA. Did a Muay Thai class like 6-7 years ago and it opened a whole new world for me
I admire the skills but revolted by the spectacle of beating a man up who is down. Its disgraceful and should be illegal. But your post reminds me that I've recently started karate and love it. Wish I'd found out about it when younger.

andmark

International Captain
I came across the Atherstone Ball Game today. It's a sport (or excuse for all the men of a village to fight) which I couldn't do, but it's weirdly engrossing.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
My new girlfriend has been getting me into volleyball lately. Such an awesome sport, dunno why I never paid it any attention beforehand. The 2019 World Cup was action-packed.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah, no doubt. But it's a sport where, in lieu of ref intervention, the default response is to pile in until your opponent stops moving. I just find that premise very troubling.
Fair enough. There are a lot of fighters who don't pile on when it's clear their opponent is out of it, and in terms of brain damage or lasting health issues, MMA is better for athletes than other striking sports because it does allow for grappling and submissions, and the smaller gloves means less weight hitting the head. But at the end of the day it's a fight. No getting around that bit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was 20 when I properly started loving cricket, having dabbled since about 13.

Otherwise I've more gone the other way. I spend a lot of time and money on footy and cricket and other sports I used to have an interest in such as athletics, F1 and Union have fallen by the wayside for me.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I put so much time and mental energy into the two sports I properly follow that doing anything more than casually following something else seems like too great an ordeal for me to really follow through with. I think in theory I could really enjoy baseball, rugby union and American football but I've only really dabbled on the outskirts of occasionally watching them.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Could not get my head around it as a kid, but really got into it around 2009 to 2013. Once I got a job following it regularly became really difficult though, and following it real time is basically impossible now. Still really enjoy it when I get the chance to watch though.
What a sob story. Don't know how you manage.

Flem274*

123/5
MMA. Did a Muay Thai class like 6-7 years ago and it opened a whole new world for me
this but 5 weeks ago. i prefer pure muay thai to mma though, because bjj is ****ing boring to watch and the ufc fanbase is often sickening.
Formula 1. Couldn't stand any form of racing as a kid or teen that wasn't Speed Racer. As an adult I can now fully recognise that Formula 1 IS Speed Racer.
you got into one motorsport and you chose ****ing formula 1?

watch indycar for the best open wheeler racing in the world ffs.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say MMA is a pretty great spectator sport, but its fanbase is horrific and its competitive structures are such a joke that it can be hard to get invested in beyond individual fights.