• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The bottom of the Championship has the potential to be a bit confusing. They're not deducting the points from Wigan until the end of the season. So if they finish 11 points outside the relegation places they get relegated but it won't show in the running League tables. If they finish 13 points outside relegation they start next season on minus 12 points.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wigan surely just the first, going back to the season my lot nearly got promoted to the Championship it was widely acknowledged that both Wigan and Blackburn were over £100m in debt back then and I doubt those figures have shrunk since. The clubs who are ex Prem sides or ones chasing the money in the Prem will be in serious danger if next season starts with no fans.

Uppercut

Yeah the debt levels in the Championship were unsustainable, so this was always coming sooner or later. Being able to blame the coronavirus might even help clubs get more sympathetic treatment.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How is Pontuss Jannson working out for you guys?
Yeah really good. Our defence is pretty much transformed this season, definitely not just down to him but our poorish run before lockdown coincided with him being injured.

Think that transfer has pretty much worked out for everyone.

Uppercut

:laugh: the new handball rule is an absolute farce. Spurs goal disallowed because Lucas had the ball booted off his upper arm by a defender while he was being fouled.

Last edited:

Pothas

Think that is the most ridiculous one we have seen yet.

I know everyone will say that is the law and not VAR which is obviously true but that sort of thing never gets picked up without it.

grecian

Well, we have just basically released every one under contract, irrespective of their worth really, don't expect new signings, unless they're incredibly cheapprobably have to make do, won't be the only ones. We have the Yoof system, so we maybe able to manage, we'll see. Unfortunately feel we probably had too many under contract, but TBH no-one saw this coming, so it is what it is.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would assume there'll be a lot of out of contract lower league players who might have to accept lower wages somewhere just to find a club.

Last edited:

grecian

I think a lowering of player wages might well be one consequence of this crisis.
I think it's inevitable, it's just whether it'll be temporary or not.

Can also see some pro clubs allowing players to go part-time, but almost certain that will be short-term to keep players in the game, whilst the chaos lasts.

Uppercut

Sane to Bayern. £50m looks very cheap, I wonder if he’ll be as good as he was pre-injury.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sane to Bayern. £50m looks very cheap, I wonder if he’ll be as good as he was pre-injury.
12 months left on his contract and with the player seemingly only wanting to go to Bayern.

Bayern had City over a barrel on this one. £50m is quite a decent price all things considered.