• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't buy that. I'm sure players would prefer to be furloughed at a fraction of their wage (so the max £2,500 per month) than be getting 0. The impact is the same on the clubs finances
Again though it is how long it will go on, how long the furlough will go on .As I say my extreme views on this is pretty much based on not knowing when it'll have an ending, I mentioned O October as an optimistic premise, it could be longer, and again gate receipts is how these teams manage. There are already players on contract at most clubs, those can be honoured as much as possible with furlough. just saying I don't see how you can negotiate new ones or sign people

Unfortunately any running of clubs without crowds, is like asking people to open a restaurant without customers. I am very much in doomsday mode for lower divisions, I am afraid.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I have pretty much entirely focused on what happens with this season rather than the hugely more important question of what happens after. Would be very happy if we have crowds by October, would be expecting it to be even longer than that?
Socially-distanced crowds perhaps... One to every 4 seats or something....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you go with members of your family then you don't have to go that far. But I also take my nephew who doesn't live with me

Anyway league 2 play offs are a stupid idea and I am glad we all agree

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If you go with members of your family then you don't have to go that far. But I also take my nephew who doesn't live with me

Anyway league 2 play offs are a stupid idea and I am glad we all agree
My post was partially tongue in cheek tbh, but I think some socially distanced crowd might be better than nothing, and probably quite likely.

Sounds like we'll be having socially distanced restaurants, pubs, schools, universities and god knows what else, so can't see why socially distanced crowds at sporting events should be out of the question.

cpr

International Coach
Again though it is how long it will go on, how long the furlough will go on .As I say my extreme views on this is pretty much based on not knowing when it'll have an ending, I mentioned O October as an optimistic premise, it could be longer, and again gate receipts is how these teams manage. There are already players on contract at most clubs, those can be honoured as much as possible with furlough. just saying I don't see how you can negotiate new ones or sign people

Unfortunately any running of clubs without crowds, is like asking people to open a restaurant without customers. I am very much in doomsday mode for lower divisions, I am afraid.
Getting all political for a sec (it's fine, D/L never posted here), I can't see the furlough scheme being stopped before the reopening of entertainment venues, as it'd absolutely kill so many low income jobs around the UK. If it did happen then yeah, release from contracts (I think players have the right to tear up a contract if not paid for 8 weeks anyway)

grecian

My post was partially tongue in cheek tbh, but I think some socially distanced crowd might be better than nothing, and probably quite likely.

Sounds like we'll be having socially distanced restaurants, pubs, schools, universities and god knows what else, so can't see why socially distanced crowds at sporting events should be out of the question.
Well, you can see why it'll work with restaurants and the like, but again I just don't see the feasability in the lower leagues, 2 metres apart is more than one seat isn't it. It puts money to police as well, think we need about 800 to break even, that's with food and drink, which won't be easy. with restrictions in our poxy ground, don't really see us getting that many, I suppose they could find ways of making the player available to everyone for £20 a game for new customers, I would pay it.

Still, a long way off, I reckon.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, you can see why it'll work with restaurants and the like, but again I just don't see the feasability in the lower leagues, 2 metres apart is more than one seat isn't it. It puts money to police as well, think we need about 800 to break even, that's with food and drink, which won't be easy. with restrictions in our poxy ground, don't really see us getting that many, I suppose they could find ways of making the player available to everyone for £20 a game for new customers, I would pay it.

Yeah true. Hadn't thought of that tbh.

Matteh

Is the club shop still a small shipping container thing?

grecian

Is the club shop still a small shipping container thing?
Nah not anymore, it's a shame, and away fans are covered, and have proper toilets, waste of money IMHO, but no-one asked me, "I own my football club" seems a bit hollow when you can't see people shivering in the freezing rain on a Tuesday night in January. Progress they call it, pfft.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What do you actually think they should do?
PPG is grotesque, unfair and unethical. But if you do it then holding play offs is absurd. Give four league 2 clubs a chance to play for a place we haven't legitimately lost? Cool

Beyond that. Null and void or just play it when you can. Contracts needn't be an issue, you just treat it as an extra transfer window.

Pothas

Play when you can is quite obviously the best option from a sporting point of view, they should honestly be doing everything they can then to allow that to happen but clearly most clubs don't think that is possible.

Been through this already but I think void is utterly ridiculous and just as bad as PPG.

grecian

Play when you can is quite obviously the best option from a sporting point of view, they should honestly be doing everything they can then to allow that to happen but clearly most clubs don't think that is possible.

Been through this already but I think void is utterly ridiculous and just as bad as PPG.
I think voiding 3 quarters through is ridicukous too. Ideally I would rather they played out the rest of the year, however long it takes and then play an half-season after, hopefully when/if there's a way to monetize it. Yet again though I understand why they have gone this way, financially the best option, and that's even if they don't hold the play-offs, where Exeter will be just as screwed as Tranmere, particularly as we have been top 4 most of the season, and our biggest rivals get promoted ahead of us, but there ya go, **** happend, we're Exeter we expect it..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbh i don't like the null and void option one bit.

The idea that's been floated of increasing the prem by two for a year or two and not relegating anyone, and then using PPG to settle promotions to me is probably the way I would go. I know that's been ruled out now and God forbid we asked the prem to play a few extra games.

I mean I don't think promoting a side based on PPG is fair either, but relegating any is utterly farcical.

Not that I ever expect to see this scenario repeat itself but maybe the EFL will prepare some rules for such an event in future. I think what I have the biggest problem with is making it up as you go along. You can't change the rules during the contest, it's the most basic sporting principle

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not that I ever expect to see this scenario repeat itself but maybe the EFL will prepare some rules for such an event in future. I think what I have the biggest problem with is making it up as you go along. You can't change the rules during the contest, it's the most basic sporting principle
Yeah exactly this. It's why null and void is better to me than ending the season based on PPG.

Finishing it is obviously far better than either though.

Matteh

It feels like more teams will be happier with the null and void in L1/L2 than those that will be unhappy.

Plus surely it would be harder to argue in court that your unhappy team was definitely going to be promoted when you can't evidence that.