• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

cpr

International Coach
I actually remember playing football in the backyard and when I was 10-11 and one of my friend in his effort to head the ball swung his head back to get momentum and smashed my other friend's teeth in who was right behind him. He actually lost both his front teeth, was pretty scary at the time. Lots of blood
I fractured my eye socket playing heads and volleys at school. You can guess which I went for, and which the guy who wears steelies to school went for.

Also, GIMH's right, headings going nowhere, even in the top flight, unless you specifically legislate against it, and that'd be just ****. There's too much to gain by heading - getting on a cross that loops over the defender, cutting out the long ball down the channel. Ban it and the game becomes a long ball sport, where dinking it over a defender is far easier than passing it around them. Also the game would become more dangerous, in that people will still try and hit the ball high and early to gain any advantage, so overhead kicks will be connecting with peoples temples every match.

So long as its a legitimate method of contact, it'll be used, and some weird folks (hi Phil Jones) will inexplicably lead with it over feet. That's on them if they want a skull crushing. As the likes of Petr Cech will attest, banning heading doesn't remove horrific head injuries

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have plenty of experience of low level football and Cabinet’s argument seemed reasonable to me. It’s hardly inevitable that heading will go out of the game but it could happen. ‘Long term brain damage’ is just so much more powerful an argument than ‘but I like football the way it is’.

cpr

International Coach
If we ban football in schools, do you reckon that we'll get a footballer who can do an interview without using 'y'know' constantly within the next decade?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
As would I, no question. But maybe don't make sweeping statements about the whole of football when you have no experience with it outside of the top flights.
I have plenty of experience of low level football and Cabinet’s argument seemed reasonable to me. It’s hardly inevitable that heading will go out of the game but it could happen. ‘Long term brain damage’ is just so much more powerful an argument than ‘but I like football the way it is’.
Yeah, I will happily admit I don't watch much lower league football. But do you really think my argument was based on an idea in my head that conference football only ever sees the ball played along the carpet? One of the main reasons I only ever play small side football in cages is the fact that as a tall bloke if I have ever had to play 11-a-side on grass I'd have to do loads of heading and I hate the idea. It's not like heading is a non-factor at the top level either. One of the CL semi finals last year was effectively turned around once Spurs started pumping long balls up to Llorente. I'm well aware how drastic a change it would have on football. My argument is based on the idea it would be a small overnight change. Inevitable probably is the wrong word to use, and suggesting it could die out naturally is probably dumb now that I think about it more. But I've thought since the Ryan Mason injury that the change could happen eventually, and now for the first time the FA have just banned it in certain circumstances, so I don't think it's far fetched at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It being banned wasn't what i thought was ridiculous. It was the idea it would die out naturally. So no issue with that post.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's kinda dumb how my initial instinct wasn't that long balls would suddenly become undefendable but rather you'd see an evolution towards a futsal style ruling with balls not intentionally played over shoulder height.

cpr

International Coach
Why would you not play it over shoulder height? It's the most effective way to get it behind the defence, especially from deep. Take heading out and a weighted ball to a rushing striker becomes impossible to defend. If anything I think it'd encourage playing deep playmakers and fast strikers to run onto things.

Fellaini would win the Ballon d'Or, his velcro chest would be worth billions