• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Championship Qualifying

SeamUp

International Coach
With the exciting young talent like Sancho, Foden , Mount and Hudson-Odoi a year older it could be a blessing in disguise for that reason too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Credit to the Sweaties, I suppose.

Reports I've read say it was a turgid game, but now just one game from a major tournament for the first time this millennium.

Their penalty shoot out record now stands at 100%. 1 from 1.

I also read it was the first time they've required extra time since 1961! I presume that must've been a qualifier too as they've famously never made it out of a group stage in WCs or Euros.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I am truly shocked that a side managed by Steve Clarke managed to produce a turgid display of football.

I'm not getting excited because we'll **** it up against Serbia.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ireland are already playing some much better stuff under Kenny. Shame they were the ones to lose the shoot-out because they'd bring a lot more to the tournament than NI or Scotland. Hopefully they both get through though, need someone to support.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
That must be the most back door qualification for a major tournament ever (Denmark 92 perhaps). Fully deserved on the night though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That must be the most back door qualification for a major tournament ever (Denmark 92 perhaps). Fully deserved on the night though.
(North) Macedonia's probably tops it by virtue of the faintly nutty system that guaranteed one of the sixteen turdest teams would qualify.

Although Wales taking Africa and Asia's qualifying spot for the 1958 World Cup is more than a little backdoorish too.

Essentially every African and Asian country withdrew except Israel in protest at something or other Israel had or hadn't done and FIFA decided no team (except the holders and hosts) could qualify without playing at least one game.

Wales were selected from the teams who'd failed to qualify (presumably so they wouldn't feel left out; England, Scotland and Northern Ireland all having qualified) and duly bested the Israelis in a play off.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
(North) Macedonia's probably tops it by virtue of the faintly nutty system that guaranteed one of the sixteen turdest teams would qualify.

Although Wales taking Africa and Asia's qualifying spot for the 1958 World Cup is more than a little backdoorish too.

Essentially every African and Asian country withdrew except Israel in protest at something or other Israel had or hadn't done and FIFA decided no team (except the holders and hosts) could qualify without playing at least one game.

Wales were selected from the teams who'd failed to qualify (presumably so they wouldn't feel left out; England, Scotland and Northern Ireland all having qualified) and duly bested the Israelis in a play off.
They then made the quarters and never shut up about it since