• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Championship Qualifying

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it was bad enough then yeah, I guess so. The issue is really for the competition organizers though, because if you let a team walk off and take the points in a situation like this, who's to say where you draw the line if and when another side does it?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The play offs are confusing as ****.

I think I read that if all of the top division nations from the Nations League qualify automatically then their play off route goes to the next ranked nations from the NL route (presumably those in the second tier of pools), but I couldn't get my head around if this means inclusive of those who don't make the second tier play-offs or just those who don't.

Looking at the top tier only Iceland are likely not to qualify directly.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The play offs are confusing as ****.

I think I read that if all of the top division nations from the Nations League qualify automatically then their play off route goes to the next ranked nations from the NL route (presumably those in the second tier of pools), but I couldn't get my head around if this means inclusive of those who don't make the second tier play-offs or just those who don't.

Looking at the top tier only Iceland are likely not to qualify directly.
yeah it's a mess. I think it means it'll be filled by league standing regardless of whether they made play-offs and so teams who finished around the bottom of the B league will be 'promoted' to the higher path.

andmark

International Captain
The end of the Scotland game felt turgid. Players arguing whether defenders are ten yards back or a mere 9.5 yards is not a good look.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah it's a mess. I think it means it'll be filled by league standing regardless of whether they made play-offs and so teams who finished around the bottom of the B league will be 'promoted' to the higher path.
Northern Ireland have a playoff spot and I'm fairly sure they got relegated from the B league.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Draw for the Finals today. Pretty hard to prepare early when 12 of the teams in the draw will drop out at the end of March. Lots of “or” in the groups.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have they not changed the 3 teams from a group qualifying thing? It's so bad.
Afraid not. With 24 in the group stages the only other way around it would be 4 groups of 6 (which I'd personally love), but would mean the tournament would last a lot longer.

I'm willing to be we see 32 teams in the Euros soon, which means qualification will be even more farcical than it is now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
But Scotland still won't make it.
Harsh but fair. Extraordinary to think that during my lifetime there was a period in the late 1970s / early 1980s when a combined UK side would have been dominated by Scots. If not numerically, certainly in terms of the quality they would bring to the side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Reckon the situation plays massively into England's hands given their constant injury problems up front.