• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Championship Qualifying

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The **** was Trippier doing playing in front of Alexander-Arnold?
Not even the worst selection in the back 4 that. Rose played left back.

Keane has to go as well.

Feel for Maddison as he’s been left out before because he’s a 10 and we don’t play one, yet they’re happy to rearrange for a much worse player who has the hype behind him.

Only good thing is Alli being ditched.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Really fancy Italy for next year btw.

Obviously France should win it but Italy are my 'wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way' team, particularly as France are so badly handicapped by their idiot manager.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Keane has to go as well.

Feel for Maddison as he’s been left out before because he’s a 10 and we don’t play one, yet they’re happy to rearrange for a much worse player who has the hype behind him.

In fairness Maddison was ill. And now is a much better time for a reality check and a few lessons being learned.

If Southgate can do what Klopp has done and get a lot out of an average midfield then you'll still be a force to be reckoned with next year.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even if he wasn’t injured I’m sure Mount would’ve been picked ahead of him.

Funny thing about last night is how unbalanced the bench was because of injuries, 5 defenders, 2 keepers, 2 midfielders and 2 forwards.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do not underestimate the pomposity of the British Press
I suspect the Scots, Welsh and Irish may take offence at that.

Hopefully tonight will be incident-free, but I do feel some of the comments about walking off if there's any racist abuse were ill-advised. Especially from Abraham, who's really in no position to be speaking in behalf of the Engand side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Keane has to go as well.

Sounds like you're as big a fan of Rose as I am. Very happy to see Chilwell back tonight. Keane, as you suggest, is horribly accident prone. I guess we'll see if Mings is an ungrade.
Whilst not sharing your complete antipathy towards Alli, he doesn't merit a place and one of Southgate's strengths has been that he's been willing to drop established players who aren't performing. Ditto Lingard of course. Hopefully Maddison will get a look-in when he's fully recovered. At least Rice isn't playing tonight.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It really is baffling. Not only is he England's best RB, he's one of England's best players full stop.

andmark

International Captain
What does Southgate have against Alexander-Arnold???
The argument usually given against him is that he's not as good defensively (which is true to an extent). I've never gone out my way to watch Trippier so can't and won't comment on him, but Trent's attacking qualities surely overrule his defensive weaknesses (and even those weaknesses hardly make him the second cometh of Alberto Moreno).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The argument usually given against him is that he's not as good defensively (which is true to an extent). I've never gone out my way to watch Trippier so can't and won't comment on him, but Trent's attacking qualities surely overrule his defensive weaknesses (and even those weaknesses hardly make him the second cometh of Alberto Moreno).
Even if this is the logic (and it probably is tbh), the fact that he feels he needs to pick a defensive lineup against a team like Bulgaria is pretty iffy. It's not like they are playing France ffs.

andmark

International Captain
Well it seems the talk about racism before this match was especially relevant given some reported crowd behaviour. Bad stuff tstl.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would have to be a forfeit on England's part. They would have to lose the game. You can't just decide you don't like what the crowd's up to and take yourself off the pitch. FMD if that was the case then every away side in England between 1975 and 1990 would have been justified in doing the same.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Would have to be a forfeit on England's part. They would have to lose the game.
My understanding is that due to new rules if the game gets stopped once more by the referee, the match is abandoned. In those circumstances, I assume England would take the win.

Burgey

Would that apply if a side wanders off though? Interesting challenge for the tourney organizers.

Burgey

****, that would be so good.

I'm old enough to remember when black players were booed by their own supporters in the old First Division in the mid-late 70s. Pretty sad indictment this sort of **** still goes on. Says a fair bit about the climate in parts of Europe atm.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can see your point Burge (cold day in hell and all). Do you think even if it did mean we had to forfeit that they should do it anyway?