• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

European Championship Qualifying

andmark

International Captain
What is this strange feeling? It's almost as if I actually like watching England. It must be some anomaly. Natural order will resume shortly.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What is this strange feeling? It's almost as if I actually like watching England. It must be some anomaly. Natural order will resume shortly.
counting down to when the press tries to crucify the player that actually won it.

andmark

International Captain
This is a seriously impressive result from England.
Yeah, consecutive five goal performances as well and done aesthetically. Can't ask for more from them.

That stadium though. It's as if the Escape to Victory match was a home tie for the prisoners.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a seriously impressive result from England.
Dare I say it but the sort of result that really good sides get in qualification while we usually scrape a one goal win or even draw. Still expect us to mess up when it matters though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Managed to do it whilst both full backs were dog ****e and playing with 10 men for an hour as well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Managed to do it whilst both full backs were dog ****e and playing with 10 men for an hour as well.
I'm trying to work out which one you're picking as our 11th / non-playing individual. You'll have to forgive me for forgetting who may have been subbed after 60 minutes, but life's too short and all that.
Agreed that Rose is hopeless. Walker's usually better, although admittedly not on this occasion.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
wat

Rose and Walker are really good.
Do you really rate Rose? I know the game's all about opinions, but even so. :-O
Bertrand's a better bet as a reserve LB behind Chilwell imo.
Walker fair enough, but, as I said, he's usually better than what we saw on Monday.

The biggest shock to people of my generation is seeing us with several viable options at right back. For years, our left backs were fine but our right backs significantly less so. Nowadays we're spoilt for choice at RB with Walker, Trippier, Alexander Arnold and the kid from Palace whose name escapes me.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm trying to work out which one you're picking as our 11th / non-playing individual. You'll have to forgive me for forgetting who may have been subbed after 60 minutes, but life's too short and all that.
Agreed that Rose is hopeless. Walker's usually better, although admittedly not on this occasion.
Dele Alli. Waste of space.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't really followed this round of qualifiers too closely. Predictable win for England and defeat for Scotland, and a win for Wales. Netherlands won 4-2 in Germany. Presumably both will qualify.

cpr

International Coach
Depends what N. Ire can do to them. Snatch some points at home they could make it difficult. Certainly winning all 4 games against the groups lower teams has put them in a fantastic position.

andmark

International Captain
Quite enjoyed yesterday's match. First time in my lifetime I've regularly enjoyyed watching England. Good guy Gareth.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Quite enjoyed yesterday's match. First time in my lifetime I've regularly enjoyyed watching England. Good guy Gareth.
He is, and he'll be as aware as the rest of us that the second half was our worst 45 minutes since the Iceland game at the last Euros.

andmark

International Captain
Should have tried a back three back in the day. But that is hindsight speakin
3-5-2 Would've also made the Lampard-Gerrard issue easier by having a specific CDM offering the other two more freedom than if they were playing in a 4-4-2. Only issue I can think of here is the need for at least one wingback whilst keepng Beckham in the team.