• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest All-Round Athlete Ever

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
So what counts as the criteria for athleticism? Speed? Power (or power vs weight)? Coordination? Greatest at you sport? Or greatest at multiple disciplines?

When I think great athletes I tend to think gymnasts more than anybody else.

andmark

International Captain
So what counts as the criteria for athleticism? Speed? Power (or power vs weight)? Coordination? Greatest at you sport? Or greatest at multiple disciplines?

When I think great athletes I tend to think gymnasts more than anybody else.
The idea I had was someone who was well-rounded in a variety of things such as the things you mention to the exception of being the greatest at their sport. Being the greatest at multiple disciplines would imply some sort of all-rounded athleticism which would also be getting at my idea. The reason that being the best at their sport isn't in my consideration is because athletes are limited in what they can become athleticism-wise with their sports. Like in my original post, I noted that sprinters would be unlikely to have the muscle mass to have great strength which would limit their ability to be good candidates. The thing of being best at their sport would open the door (a very wide door at that) to Phil Taylor which would be defeating the point of my original post.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I doubt he'd have the physical strength to, say, have a decent (by the standards of athletes) bench press or bicep curl though.

I love Jimmy101's new avatar BTW.
Dunno. Bloke is legit a fantastic athlete though. Not just a great footballer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I used the search button but couldn't find anything about what I'm talking about, so here we go. Who is/was the greatest athlete ever? I'm not talking just athletics nor do I mean the best sportsperson. Rather I'm talking in terms of who had the best physical abilities ever. The obvious ways of judging this would be things like pace, strength and endurance. Obviously, sportspeople have to adapt their bodies to their sports, so that may limit the number of realistic candidates. A 100m runner for example would have to value pace over all else, meaning they're unlikely to have the muscle mass to be exceptionally strong. The reverse would also be true for a weightlifter.

On this thinking, I expect that rugby and American football players could make for strong candidates. My knowledge of rugby is limited, but Jonah Lomu might be a good candidate. He could run with exceptionally high speed whilst having the strength to run through 18 stone rugby players. I can't provide much context on his life or career though, and so the rugby-minded amongst you might strongly disagree with me. But I don't know. Who would you go with?
Regarding Lomu he could've been a top class decathlete had he not gone down the rugby path. As you can see he rather dominated the junior athletics day at his school

lomu pic.jpg

cpr

International Coach
Regarding Lomu he could've been a top class decathlete had he not gone down the rugby path. As you can see he rather dominated the junior athletics day at his school

View attachment 24511
Or it could be he's the only/one of the few kids in his school who's seriously considering a career in sport, and is better conditioned to any event than the other 16 year old spotty kids who live in a couple of mile radius of him.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Or it could be he's the only/one of the few kids in his school who's seriously considering a career in sport, and is better conditioned to any event than the other 16 year old spotty kids who live in a couple of mile radius of him.
Yeah depends on the size and focus of the school, without which you've no idea really. If someone dominated the records at somewhere like Hartpury you'd hear about them.

andmark

International Captain

View attachment 24511
I get and agree with the reservations others have said, but I'm amazed he won the high jump. Like high jumpers are usually tall and extremely thin people, but even as a youngster Lomu was muscle-bound. He must have had legs like anti-aircraft guns.

Cow

Banned
The American tightend/linebackers who were also exceptional track and basketball stars in high school tend to have that incredible combination of speed and agility.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

View attachment 24511
I reckon most sportsmen would do similar given the opportunity. A lot of sporting skills are pretty transferrable.

It's like music. A concert pianist might not be as proficient on other instruments but they're hardly going to be dumbfounded if they pick up a violin.