Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Greatest All-Round Athlete Ever

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    These darts guys have a claim IMO..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/darts/46245993
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Wilt Chamberlain is a decent candidate.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    I reckon boxers need a bit of credit here, the strength and stamina needed is immense, not to mention to endurance of pain. They've also got to be pretty nifty reflexes and co-ordination too, whilst being light enough on their feet to move quick to avoid attack.
    Probably don't think of them as runners much, but my step dad uses the same gym that Tyson Fury has been using before going off on his high altitude stuff recently. Fury has a room for his sparring/boxing training, but comes and uses the standard machines for his stamina work. The old man has been running side by side with him on the running machines a few times, and reckons Fury is doing a 10k daily at about 45min depending on how much effort he's putting in (and its never full pelt because its just his warm up). And lets face it, Fury isn't the fittest in his weight class. Imagine Joshua's training speeds.....
    Boxers do a crazy amount of running. They say the firs thing which goes as a boxer is your legs. They put miles and miles and miles in before a fight.

Agree they deserve a lot credit for their athleticism. Ali was a freak. So light on his feet, could take a punch, fast and had a lot of ring smarts. He doesn't look it in clips because he always fought heavyweights who for the most part were tall men too, but trust me, he was a massive unit. I met him in 2000 and he was 6'3" or more. To think he could move the way he did is remarkable. He used to train with welterweights and they couldn't catch him.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Wilt Chamberlain is a decent candidate.
    Lebron too imo. 6'8" guy with that kind of freakish speed and leaping ability, plus being seemingly indestructible. He's probably the single most durable athlete of all time for having gone 16 years in a physically demanding sport with no real injuries.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Lebron too imo. 6'8" guy with that kind of freakish speed and leaping ability, plus being seemingly indestructible. He's probably the single most durable athlete of all time for having gone 16 years in a physically demanding sport with no real injuries.
    Archie Moore ftw on that score.

Surprised Sunilz hasn’t mentioned gavaskar

So what counts as the criteria for athleticism? Speed? Power (or power vs weight)? Coordination? Greatest at you sport? Or greatest at multiple disciplines?

When I think great athletes I tend to think gymnasts more than anybody else.
    jimmy101 likes this.
    "The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it."

"I have neither the time nor crayons to explain it to you...."

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Cristiano Ronaldo a good shout imo.

Quite the actor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Cristiano Ronaldo a good shout imo.
    I doubt he'd have the physical strength to, say, have a decent (by the standards of athletes) bench press or bicep curl though.

I love Jimmy101's new avatar BTW.
    jimmy101 likes this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by StephenZA View Post
    So what counts as the criteria for athleticism? Speed? Power (or power vs weight)? Coordination? Greatest at you sport? Or greatest at multiple disciplines?

When I think great athletes I tend to think gymnasts more than anybody else.
    The idea I had was someone who was well-rounded in a variety of things such as the things you mention to the exception of being the greatest at their sport. Being the greatest at multiple disciplines would imply some sort of all-rounded athleticism which would also be getting at my idea. The reason that being the best at their sport isn't in my consideration is because athletes are limited in what they can become athleticism-wise with their sports. Like in my original post, I noted that sprinters would be unlikely to have the muscle mass to have great strength which would limit their ability to be good candidates. The thing of being best at their sport would open the door (a very wide door at that) to Phil Taylor which would be defeating the point of my original post.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I doubt he'd have the physical strength to, say, have a decent (by the standards of athletes) bench press or bicep curl though.

I love Jimmy101's new avatar BTW.
    Dunno. Bloke is legit a fantastic athlete though. Not just a great footballer.

Michael Phelps
    Nadia Comăneci

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I used the search button but couldn't find anything about what I'm talking about, so here we go. Who is/was the greatest athlete ever? I'm not talking just athletics nor do I mean the best sportsperson. Rather I'm talking in terms of who had the best physical abilities ever. The obvious ways of judging this would be things like pace, strength and endurance. Obviously, sportspeople have to adapt their bodies to their sports, so that may limit the number of realistic candidates. A 100m runner for example would have to value pace over all else, meaning they're unlikely to have the muscle mass to be exceptionally strong. The reverse would also be true for a weightlifter.

On this thinking, I expect that rugby and American football players could make for strong candidates. My knowledge of rugby is limited, but Jonah Lomu might be a good candidate. He could run with exceptionally high speed whilst having the strength to run through 18 stone rugby players. I can't provide much context on his life or career though, and so the rugby-minded amongst you might strongly disagree with me. But I don't know. Who would you go with?
    Regarding Lomu he could've been a top class decathlete had he not gone down the rugby path. As you can see he rather dominated the junior athletics day at his school

lomu pic.jpg
    andmark likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    What's 'cricket ball'?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information