• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Australia host the 2018 football World Cup?

Craig

World Traveller
One of the very rare things I agree with Sepp Blatter's idea's is a rotation policy in giving the regions the right to host a World Cup.

2010 will either go to Morroco or South Africa, 2014 in all fairness should go to South America, so should the 2018 WC go to Australia since this region has hosted one? In all fairness yes since Europe has had their fair share of tournaments hosted. If not in 2018, it should be in 2022.

I'm not to sure on stadia requirements, but Australia has the SCG, the 'Gabba and the MCG as main stadiums to host matches have have capaticaty of 40,000+.

Stadiums have available to use:

Telstra Stadium (ex Stadium Australia and where the final would be held)
Aussie Stadium
SCG
MCG
Telstra Dome (perfect with the roof over the top and the seats moved in)
Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane)
The 'Gabba
Football Stadium (Adelaide)
Subiaco (Perth)
Dairy Farmers Stadium (Townsville - but needs to the grassy hills to be turned into all-seaters)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Although a good idea in theory, Blatter won't be around that long and the money on offer from European Tournaments will mean there's more there than anywere else IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
In terms of money South America certainly deserves to host 2014 simply because football is no.1 over there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But that is not where the money is - the money is in the TV rights (Europe) and they'll want it to be held where it's shown at reasonable times more often.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously doubt we'll ever get 2018, but wouldn't at all be surprised if we got 2022. Just need to sort out some new stadiums (which isn't going to be all that easy at the moment).

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Better off focusing on 2022 imo. Can't see FIFA keeping the WC out of Europe for 3 straight tournaments.

ripper868

International Coach
Indeed, though there are quite a number of stadiums that would be suitable right now:

Australia Stadium
SFS
SCG (if need be)
MCG
Etihad
Bluetongue (thats the one on Central coast right?)
Dairy Farmers
Suncorp
Carrara (or whatever the Titans stadium is called)
Ballymore (so long as the redevelopment is approved - **** you Kevin Rudd)
Subiaco
The stadium the force will be moving too in the future (being built right meow i think)
Canberra Stadium

Perhaps upgrades are needed but not sure about a whole new stadiums from scratch.

2022 the more likely prospect as well.

Johnners

Fairly certain a number of them would need to be upgraded to meet FIFA standards. If Anfield needs upgrading for it to meet the requirments for Englands bid, I can't see all of the above getting away without some sort of upgrades. Fairly certain Adelaide wouldn't be missing out on the action either.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are already plans to build a new rectangle 40k seat stadium right next to Canberra stadium if we get the World Cup in either of those years. The plan is to reduce the capacity of canberra stadium and turn it into an oval so cricket and afl can be played there. AFAIK there would be a big hotel and shopping hub built out there at Bruce too, but the plans all depend on Australia getting the WC.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Alot of those stadiums do not meet requirements/are too many in the one city.
Yeah at the moment you are only allowed 1 city with 2 stadiums, can imagine this could be waived to allow 2 in Sydney and 2 in Melbourne though, but not 3. Think there is a rule where you can only have one non rectangular stadium, which would hit the Aussie bid hard. All the stadiums have to be 40000+.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah at the moment you are only allowed 1 city with 2 stadiums, can imagine this could be waived to allow 2 in Sydney and 2 in Melbourne though, but not 3. Think there is a rule where you can only have one non rectangular stadium, which would hit the Aussie bid hard. All the stadiums have to be 40000+.
Right...we're ****ed then.

Craig

World Traveller
Unless the rules have changed, in France '98, the stadia in Nantes, Toulouse, Saint-Étienne, Bordeaux, and Montpellier, all were under 40,000 capacity. Only Nantes had the highest with 38,500.

Johnners

How many stadiums are required all up?

I'd say Suncorp is one of the few stadiums in Australia that wouldn't require some sort of upgrade to make it suitable, which (apart from the time-zone differences) is probably the biggest flaw in our bid to host it.

Johnners

Unless the rules have changed, in France '98, the stadia in Nantes, Toulouse, Saint-Étienne, Bordeaux, and Montpellier, all were under 40,000 capacity. Only Nantes had the highest with 38,500.
Think you'll find the rules have changed.

ripper868

International Coach
Germania had 12:

Berlin
Olympic Stadium 76,000 seats.

Cologne
Muengersdorfer Stadium 45,000 seats

Dortmund
Westfalen Stadion 60,000 seats.

Frankfurt
Wald Stadium 48,000 seats

Gelsenkirchen
Arena AufSchalke 52,000 seats.

Hamburg
Stadium Hamburg 50,000 seats.

Hannover
Niedersachsen Stadium 45,000 seats.

Kaiserslautern
Fritz-Walter Stadium 48,500 seats.

Leipzig
Zentral Stadium 44,000 seats.

Munich
Allianz Arena 66,000 seats.

Nuremburg
Franken Stadium 45,500 seats.

Stuttgart
Gottlieb-Daimler Stadium 54,500 seats.

Craig

World Traveller
How many stadiums are required all up?

I'd say Suncorp is one of the few stadiums in Australia that wouldn't require some sort of upgrade to make it suitable, which (apart from the time-zone differences) is probably the biggest flaw in our bid to host it.
The Americans hosted it in 1994.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
One of the very rare things I agree with Sepp Blatter's idea's is a rotation policy in giving the regions the right to host a World Cup.

2010 will either go to Morroco or South Africa, 2014 in all fairness should go to South America, so should the 2018 WC go to Australia since this region has hosted one? In all fairness yes since Europe has had their fair share of tournaments hosted. If not in 2018, it should be in 2022.

I'm not to sure on stadia requirements, but Australia has the SCG, the 'Gabba and the MCG as main stadiums to host matches have have capaticaty of 40,000+.

Stadiums have available to use:

Telstra Stadium (ex Stadium Australia and where the final would be held)
Aussie Stadium
SCG
MCG
Telstra Dome (perfect with the roof over the top and the seats moved in)
Suncorp Stadium (Brisbane)
The 'Gabba
Football Stadium (Adelaide)
Subiaco (Perth)
Dairy Farmers Stadium (Townsville - but needs to the grassy hills to be turned into all-seaters)
There seems to be alot that has come to pass since this post was made.

I think that 2022 is definetly more likely and the one we should be concentrating on.
Also with the stadiums, I doubt the Gabba would be used, Adelaide are likely to get a new stadium (would be certain if WC was confirmed), perth will be getting a new stadium, Townsville, Newcastle and Canberra would be possibles if their stadiums were upgraded.

Also you mention that the final would be held at Stadium Australia, however I think that they would be the outsider. Melbourne events people would do everything in their power to get the gig at the MCG and from experience I'd say they usually win. And besides if the WC was to be held in Australia, why not hold the final at the best and most historic sporting stadium in the world!