• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Australia host the 2018 football World Cup?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
If the bid still requires 10 different cities, I think an Anzac co-host is a good idea.

Melbourne (1/2)
Sydney (1/2)
Canberra
Brisbane
Adelaide
Perth
Newcastle
Townsville/ Dunedin
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
If the bid still requires 10 different cities, I think an Anzac co-host is a good idea.

Melbourne (1/2)
Sydney (1/2)
Canberra
Brisbane
Adelaide
Perth
Newcastle
Townsville/ Dunedin
Auckland
Wellington
Christchurch
Even if FIFA we amenable to the idea of a co-host (which apparently they aren't), I don't think having matches here would be a particularly good idea. Only Eden and Lancaster Parks would meet the 40k capacity/rectangular criteria, and New Zealand is simply not good enough to play at the World Cup. We'd be an embarrassment.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely dream, but it'd never work. The Australians, on the other hand, can and should do it. They have a decent team and already a lot of the infrastructure in place, plus they've proven they can put on a big party (ie. the Olympics).

Personally I think the only truly big world event we could realistically put on is a Winter Olympics.