• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could Australia host the 2018 football World Cup?

Craig

World Traveller
The only problem with the MCG is the fact that it is a cricket/AFL ground. Fans would be to be far away from the action.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Perth would be a massive worry. Subi is horrible to watch any AFL sport at, and they recently scrapped new stadium plans. We definately need a rugby and football stadium, but I'm not sure it'll be built by 2020.

Craig

World Traveller
Perth would be a massive worry. Subi is horrible to watch any AFL sport at, and they recently scrapped new stadium plans. We definately need a rugby and football stadium, but I'm not sure it'll be built by 2020.
Members Equity Stadium no good?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There a but of talk that 2022 is pretty much a certainity to be in Asia. But the big issue is that there a big push to give it to China. There is only one rectangle stadium that meets the criteria, Lang Park. Stadium Australia and Etihad might get away with being classified as rectangle due to seats being moved in. MCG will be the non rectangle stadium. Then you would need another 9 or so stadiums built or upgraded. Time zone, stadiums and a massive push for China are against us.

Josh

International Regular
Don't forget that new stadium they will be building in Melbourne specifically for rugby/soccer.

99*

International Debutant
AUS/NZ joint bid imo.

Suncorp Stadium - Brisbane
Telstra Stadium - Sydney
MCG - Melbourne
Stadium Australia - Sydney 2
North Harbour Stadium - Auckland
Caketin - Wellington
Telstra Dome - Melbourne 2
Skilled Park - Gold Coast
Somewhere - Adelaide
Somewhere - Perth

Not sure if it would work, but would be better then you guys building/upgrading 9 stadia. And it would get NZ into the World Cup as well. :ph34r:

Josh

International Regular
As long as we just get to call it "World Cup Australia 2018"; like all good things out of New Zealand.

Sam Neill
Crowded House

etc

And just in case you're wondering, Russell Crowe is YOURS :p

pasag

RTDAS
What were you doing at a footy match?!
It was free :p

Was in 1999, had huge hype because Ronaldo was playing, then he pulled out like 2 days before so they decided to just let everyone in for free. 80,000 rocked up. They had this whole Brazilian Mardi Gra type show before hand, was a lot of fun. We didn't do too badly either, iirc.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt it could work for several reasons, we are in different regions now and also pretty sure FIFA have said they are against joint bids for major tournaments now.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
More chance of having a joint bid with the SE Asian countries. Will solve more of the stadium issues as well then having it with NZ.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dunno if this sounds un-Australian or not, but I kind of don't want the Cup here.

The FIFA World Cup is an event that I always associate it as being Overseas and I'm happy for it to remain that way.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
If we can't even get a Cricket WC here every twenty years, what chance is there of getting a Football WC?