• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

andmark

International Captain
I have to wonder, how much of an attraction is the Chelsea manager job for top managers now? There's a clear chasm between them and City (and perhaps Liverpool), whilst their transfer budget (when they get to use it) isn't the Fort Knox it used to be. To top that, there's little job security in it. It can't be too attractive for managers who can go elsewhere.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I have to wonder, how much of an attraction is the Chelsea manager job for top managers now? There's a clear chasm between them and City (and perhaps Liverpool), whilst their transfer budget (when they get to use it) isn't the Fort Knox it used to be. To top that, there's little job security in it. It can't be too attractive for managers who can go elsewhere.
Their budget is fine. They've got in excess of £100m of players out on loan because they've bought badly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You have to think they had an idea this was coming. The Pulisic sign and loan and the 18month loan spell for Higuain make a bit more sense now.

I'm not gonna stick the boot in until I'm sure we don't have one coming too :ph34r:
Dunno if it applies to the young players City have, but the big issue I've got with City's transfer policy is with the likes of Mooy and Arzani. Players who have been signed with no intention of them ever playing for City but who City make a nice wee profit from anyway.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
"Chelsea say originally charged over 92 players & "FIFA has accepted that there was no breach in relation to 63 of these players but the club is extremely disappointed that FIFA has not accepted the club’s submissions in relation to the remaining 29"

Source: FIFA bans Chelsea from signing players in 2 transfer windows

No thought as to how they managed to sign 92 kids in the red zone, and what they were planning to do with a vacuuming operation of talented teens. I guess they were trying to arrange retrospective EEA permits.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Chelsea basically do that as well though. Just stockpile and prevent others from having them.
Mooy was a mid 20s journeyman Aussie footballer when they signed him and immediately loaned him to Huddersfield.

There's 3 or 4 players at Man City where you look at them and wonder why the **** they've been signed.

Chelsea is different, they're the equivalent of hoovering up all the talented regens in FM and hoping that some of them develop into good players.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mooy was a mid 20s journeyman Aussie footballer when they signed him and immediately loaned him to Huddersfield.

There's 3 or 4 players at Man City where you look at them and wonder why the **** they've been signed.

Chelsea is different, they're the equivalent of hoovering up all the talented regens in FM and hoping that some of them develop into good players.
It's even worse with Mooy when you consider he was "purchased" from a club that the City owners already own.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's even worse with Mooy when you consider he was "purchased" from a club that the City owners already own.
Yeah it's a total FFP dodge. There's a number of transfers that City have inserted themselves into where they have no business.

I don't mind the setup they've got with their affiliate clubs, but the way City's teams are operating is entirely different to the Red Bull project.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Events at Leicester more than making up for the debacle in Cardiff. I reckon someone's going down with 40+ points this season.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Events at Leicester more than making up for the debacle in Cardiff. I reckon someone's going down with 40+ points this season.
Doubt it, Southampton aren’t terrible but they’d be doing really well to get 16 points from the games they have left.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt it, Southampton aren’t terrible but they’d be doing really well to get 16 points from the games they have left.
Funny team Southampton. They looked like they were picking up under they new manager but seems to have deteriorated again. My gut instinct is that they are too good to go down, but that's been wrongly said before, of course. I wonder what's the highest number of points for a relegated side since the PL became a 20 team affair.

EDIT
In case anyone was interested, it's West Ham's 42 points in 2002/03

Last edited:

Uppercut

Puel gone. A bit unlucky I think, though whether it’s a fair decision depends on who replaces him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Puel gone. A bit unlucky I think, though whether it’s a fair decision depends on who replaces him.
Yeah I, like you, often watched them and thought they actually looked pretty handy. But, insert cliche about it being a results-driven business here I guess.

Must have been tough coming in as manager just days before the helicopter crash though.

Uppercut

Yeah I, like you, often watched them and thought they actually looked pretty handy. But, insert cliche about it being a results-driven business here I guess.

Must have been tough coming in as manager just days before the helicopter crash though.
They were doing it with a really young team too, really felt like they were on the up. Their results aren’t even that bad.

Playing worse at home than away is terrible for the atmosphere though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They were doing it with a really young team too, really felt like they were on the up. Their results aren’t even that bad.

Playing worse at home than away is terrible for the atmosphere though.
Yeah exactly. For these reasons it's actually a really attractive job for an up and coming and/or ambitious manager imo. Young squad of technical players, club with good facilities and infrastructure, decent bit of money behind them.

Re: Puel, I feel sorry for him. His teams are generally attractive and fun to watch, and him being sacked by Southampton in similarish circumstances was nonsense as well. But, I guess 5 losses in the last 6 matches (or whatever it is) is not a good look for any manager.