• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

cpr

International Coach
Not even sure it should happen there TBH. Yeah, yeah money and viewing figures n all that, but from a sporting perspective, nah.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not even sure it should happen there TBH. Yeah, yeah money and viewing figures n all that, but from a sporting perspective, nah.
I dunno. I’m fine with the CL qualifiers being a ‘which European competition do you qualify for’ thing than all or nothing.

Granted not all early CL exits get into the Europa but it makes sense to me

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's so many teams in the Champions League qualifiers and so few places available that I'm fine with it. The Champions League drop outs get segregated in the Europa League draw anyway so a bunch of them end up knocking each other out anyway. I think there's maybe only 10 teams out of the 48 teams who make the group stages who are Champions League drop outs.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Had never really thought about it that deeply before we faced Atleti last season. The more you think about it the more you realise how silly it is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I dunno. I’m fine with the CL qualifiers being a ‘which European competition do you qualify for’ thing than all or nothing.

Granted not all early CL exits get into the Europa but it makes sense to me
Not allowing teams that go out in the CL qualifying rounds to go into the Europa League may also create perverse incentives for teams to try to finish 5th or 6th rather than 4th as well. Unlikely I guess but I could see how it could happen.

Also would mean that smaller leagues (where they don't even get 1 automatic CL spot) could (and probably would) often end up with no European representation in any competition whatsoever each year.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not allowing teams that go out in the CL qualifying rounds to go into the Europa League may also create perverse incentives for teams to try to finish 5th or 6th rather than 4th as well. Unlikely I guess but I could see how it could happen.

Also would mean that smaller leagues (where they don't even get 1 automatic CL spot) could (and probably would) often end up with no European representation in any competition whatsoever each year.
correct, EL is filled with smaller country champions these days (which isn't a bad thing imo)

Although there's talk of a third competition which I have no idea how would work, sounds like it's some kind of Challenge Cup for non-champions from mid-sized countries

Furball

Evil Scotsman

ie the vast majority of leagues within UEFA.

Half the Champions League group slots go to the big 4 leagues.

Only 6 teams actually get into the Champions League via the qualification rounds that start at the beginning of July.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
correct, EL is filled with smaller country champions these days (which isn't a bad thing imo)

Although there's talk of a third competition which I have no idea how would work, sounds like it's some kind of Challenge Cup for non-champions from mid-sized countries
Only 8 of the 48 teams that take part in the Europa League group stages are Champions that are benefitting from a 2nd chance.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
RIP Sarri.
Assumed from your post he had been sacked.

You would have to assume that he'll need to try and work more with the youngsters at Chelsea. I'd have thought given the sea change that his style represents that he may prefer moulding young players to a system that he wants to play.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm sure he would prefer that. That probably won't factor in a great deal to what actually transpires though, one suspects.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You have to think they had an idea this was coming. The Pulisic sign and loan and the 18month loan spell for Higuain make a bit more sense now.

I'm not gonna stick the boot in until I'm sure we don't have one coming too :ph34r: