• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Liverpool were the better team there. Created better chances, got into threatening positions more consistently. Citeh won by pulling two great finishes out of their arse, Aguero's especially was an absolute joke. Also pulled off a goal-line-clearance-nutmeg and Kompany should have been sent off.

Thank **** they won but I still think Liverpool are the better side right now.

andmark

International Captain
I thought Liverpool were the better team there. Created better chances, got into threatening positions more consistently. Citeh won by pulling two great finishes out of their arse, Aguero's especially was an absolute joke. Also pulled off a goal-line-clearance-nutmeg and Kompany should have been sent off.

Thank **** they won but I still think Liverpool are the better side right now.
Michael Cox tweeted something to that effect. It's a controversial opinion, but yeah, Cox is well educated with football so you're in good company.

vcs

I wonder whether City will be ruing the fact that they're still in the League Cup, I'd just play the reserves there if I were Guardiola.

This title race could be an extremely exciting one unlike the last few years, I think.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If anyone wants to see the best striker in the country tonight then don't forget Tranmere V Tottenham is on BT Sport tonight

Harry Kane may also feature.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He's sort of in a dip in the hype cycle, having the obligatory bad season that ~all breakout teenagers go through. The reaction reminds me of when Citeh announced they were signing Sterling. Buying fast, agile, technical 20-year-olds with a ton of top-level experience is hardly ever a mistake.

I don't know if they've overpaid. I don't even know how much they've paid, the details of the deal aren't public.
The weird part of the deal is allowing Dortmund to keep him to the end of the season given he's lost his place to Sancho.

He's a good player, but I'd have thought that you'd want him integrating into the team over the remainder of the season to properly hit the ground running come August.

Uppercut

Michael Cox tweeted something to that effect. It's a controversial opinion, but yeah, Cox is well educated with football so you're in good company.
Cox is great but I think he used to be even better. He used to talk about games exclusively in tactical terms so it was like a whole other unique perspective. He's sort of been incorporated into the alternative establishment and become a more normal pundit (albeit one of the best). Or maybe everyone has absorbed a little bit of his tactical obsession, so he doesn't stick out like he used to.

The Mixer is really great though. He might just be saving his best stuff for books now.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Cox is great but I think he used to be even better. He used to talk about games exclusively in tactical terms so it was like a whole other unique perspective. He's sort of been incorporated into the alternative establishment and become a more normal pundit (albeit one of the best). Or maybe everyone has absorbed a little bit of his tactical obsession, so he doesn't stick out like he used to.

The Mixer is really great though. He might just be saving his best stuff for books now.
I got that book yesterday. It seems like a decent read so far going on about how the Premier League was sort of lucky to coincide with the introduction of the back pass rule. I wouldn't mind someone like him or Jonathan Wilson being on Match of the Day just to give that sort of macro or overall strategic view of games.

Uppercut

Yeah Jonathan Wilson is really a historian imo, at his best when he's doing original research. He's not that great at writing and his analysis isn't always the best. Love him on podcasts though.

Don't think MOTD would suit them but Sky or BT should give someone like that a half-hour weekly slot. Would surely be a cult hit that'd get them a few subscriptions.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem often seems to be that genuine experts get poo-pooed by TV networks and the other "expert pundits" who appear on them due to them not being former players.

Having to listen to Alan Shearer and Chris Waddle tell Tim Vickery how overrated Javier Quintero and Juan Cuadrado were during the 2014 WC was just horrific. Made all the worse by the fact that Tim seemed overawed by them and sort of sheepishly said "yeah fair enough lads" in response. And the fact that both players had a great WC.

I mean for god's sake you're one of the leading experts in the world on South American footballers ffs, and you're being talked down to by these mouthbreathers who barely understand the football in their own country (which incidentally is the only football they watch).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pretty standard for a player of his age, nationality, experience and (seemingly high) potential ability tbh.

andmark

International Captain
It's a good move for him given he was barely playing for Liverpool and Eddie Howe is great at developing youngsters.