• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Seems better value for money then the 2 keeper moves this week. £12m for Danny Ward and £13m for Angus Gunn?!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Apparently Arsenal are about to buy Sommer for 30m as well. Seems odd given them bringing in Leno already. Got to have competition obviously, but I can't imagine either of them would be happy being understudy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mmm don’t really agree. I don’t think the English speaking media appreciates how much of a massive dick move meeting with Erdogan was, but everyone can see how despicable the racist response was. So there’s a sort of ‘you tell them Ozil’ response when it should be ‘everyone comes out of this terribly’.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mmm don’t really agree. I don’t think the English speaking media appreciates how much of a massive dick move meeting with Erdogan was, but everyone can see how despicable the racist response was. So there’s a sort of ‘you tell them Ozil’ response when it should be ‘everyone comes out of this terribly’.
Yeah this is fair. Meeting Erdoğan was a terrible decision, but the backlash for it has been decidedly dire, and has prominent racial undertones rather than calling him out for his actions alone. All things considered though, I'd still say fair enough, just.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah that’s true but the racist response is part of what made the Erdogan visit so dire. It was sticking his finger in an open sore. I would have assumed he understood the situation far better than I do but his statement reveals pretty remarkable levels of political ignorance. At this point not playing for Germany any more is fair enough, I wouldn’t either.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Good luck with that, standing in the Globe on a cold Saturday watching the utter **** Morecambe have called football recently is not something I look forward to. Don't think I actually went once last season, even my step dad started skipping games despite being a season ticket holder. Apparently they've signed some decent prospects this year (now they've sorted the disappearing Ghanian chairman issue), but my God the standard of football is probably still going to be unbearable.

:laugh: well I obviously picked the wrong criteria then.. will make life interesting if nothing else and I’m used to the cold and I’ll gear myself up for disappointment! Seems to be an English fans lot, and it is a Lancashire based team .. need I say more :ph34r:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just wanted to mention the passing of Paul Madeley; only in his early 70s, and apparently from Parkinsons disease.

Older CWers will remember him from the outstanding Leeds team of the 1960s and 1970s, not to mention a regular for England in the early 1970s.
Fine player. He was known for his versatility, playing in virtually every out-field position for Leeds. With only one substitute being named at the time, this was decidedly handy.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just wanted to mention the passing of Paul Madeley; only in his early 70s, and apparently from Parkinsons disease.

Older CWers will remember him from the outstanding Leeds team of the 1960s and 1970s, not to mention a regular for England in the early 1970s.
Fine player. He was known for his versatility, playing in virtually every out-field position for Leeds. With only one substitute being named at the time, this was decidedly handy.
First time I ever saw the word 'midfielder' was to describe Madeley on a football card

vogue

The team my dad followed, remember him talking about him among others that played around the same time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Brave man to bet on Jose been in charge of Man Utd in 12 months. :wacko:
He really needs a break, he's completely jaded.

Think I'm right in saying that from taking over at Porto in 2002ish, the only breaks he's had from the game are when he's been sacked by Chelsea on both occasions?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The increased picking of fights, whining, taking shots at/blaming others is usually indicative of Mourinho employment entering very dicey territory. Odds on him being the first manager sacked this season have been slashed.

Tangles

Brave man to bet on Jose been in charge of Man Utd in 12 months. :wacko:
He is probably thinking that a 3rd string keeper, a 19 yo injured fullback with 7 games and a reserve Brazilian won't close a 19 point gap.

I just wish he would just get on with the job and stfu. No wonder the players hate him the longer he stays at a club. In the 2 games I've seen I thought A Periera, Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah all had good promising moments and some errors. But he can't get his head out of his arse long enough to say anything positive about them or the opposition. He sent out a team to hold Liverpool and it didn't. Just say well played and move on.