• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see there's some team called Tranmere in League 2 this year - name rings a bell somewhere - are they anything to do with Bolton Wanderers Reserves?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I see there's some team called Tranmere in League 2 this year - name rings a bell somewhere - are they anything to do with Bolton Wanderers Reserves?
:ban:

Also speaking of clubs throwing money about, Salford’s spending this year is absurd. Glad to be out of that division

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Due to the World Cup holding my interest, and my lack of support for the football thread, have decided to pick a team to follow this year ..
The criteria I chose to help me pick a team were.
1: It had to be fairly close to where I live.
2: A team which wasn’t associated with anywhere I’ve lived in the UK before/one that no one in my family has ever supported
3: Not in Yorkshire as cricket reigns here .

Upon searching then, Morecambe fits the criteria and as a bonus it’s a seaside town so it’s just a train ride up from me if they’re playing from home.
Likely shall just be reading the posts here as my footie knowledge is way below everyone else’s who posts in this thread.

fredfertang

Also speaking of clubs throwing money about, Salford’s spending this year is absurd. Glad to be out of that division
Hadn't really noticed them till I read about Adam Rooney - have they got any sort of following to go with all the cash?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The best thing about it is the way that the Jocks are having a cry about how players are opting to play in the English non-league over the Scottish Premiership.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hadn't really noticed them till I read about Adam Rooney - have they got any sort of following to go with all the cash?
Owned by Nevilles, Scholes, Giggs and Butt so they gained a decent following for the level lower down. Don't see them gaining much more in crowd size though.

Uppercut

I can see them getting decent crowds medium-term. Greater Manchester is a hot spot for small-ish club culture and Salford has a much bigger population than places like Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton etc. Plenty of money and publicity behind them with less toxicity than that usually attracts.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Indeed. About time I started another thread calling for its abolition tbh.

Last edited:

Johnners

Seems like we're trying to corner the market of the non Messi, Messi's (not necessarily in skill, but in terrible monikers only)

Alpine Messi (Shaqiri) & Messi of Goalkeepers (Alisson), is there anymore we can sign?

cpr

International Coach
Due to the World Cup holding my interest, and my lack of support for the football thread, have decided to pick a team to follow this year ..
The criteria I chose to help me pick a team were.
1: It had to be fairly close to where I live.
2: A team which wasn’t associated with anywhere I’ve lived in the UK before/one that no one in my family has ever supported
3: Not in Yorkshire as cricket reigns here .

Upon searching then, Morecambe fits the criteria and as a bonus it’s a seaside town so it’s just a train ride up from me if they’re playing from home.
Likely shall just be reading the posts here as my footie knowledge is way below everyone else’s who posts in this thread.
Good luck with that, standing in the Globe on a cold Saturday watching the utter **** Morecambe have called football recently is not something I look forward to. Don't think I actually went once last season, even my step dad started skipping games despite being a season ticket holder. Apparently they've signed some decent prospects this year (now they've sorted the disappearing Ghanian chairman issue), but my God the standard of football is probably still going to be unbearable.

I can see them getting decent crowds medium-term. Greater Manchester is a hot spot for small-ish club culture and Salford has a much bigger population than places like Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton etc. Plenty of money and publicity behind them with less toxicity than that usually attracts.
They've got a few things going for them, namely the area they are in is quite built up and theres no other football teams worth supporting nearby (they've landed right in the middle of City, United, Bolton and Oldham in that regard), and they'll pull in the locals who support United but cant afford to go pretty easily. - they are taking a chunk out of the FC United fanbase, who have really stalled and kind of lost relevance as the anti-Glazer movements petered out. Know my next door neighbour goes to watch them for some reason. Personally I think balls to them, can completely understand why others hate them.

Not the BBC, they love it there for some reason.
Nah, BBC love Manchester, just don't want to pay the prices. The Quays are barely Salford by a couple of hundred yards (the ITV site is Trafford I think, being on the south side of the Quays). If the Beeb staff had to venture out into Broughton or Little Hulton they'd **** kittens. The only advantage is its excellent and cheap training for war correspondants.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Its good for Everton have money to splash these days, but ideally they would be a little less awful with it. Richarlison for 50 million? **** off please:laugh:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
£50m for a young attacking player who is generally well-rated and seemingly has a lot of potential seems par for the course these days. In purely objective terms it's mad, but them's the breaks. Nothing especially noteworthy about this imo, relatively speaking.

Uppercut

Bit of noise going round that the price contains some Marco Silva compensation. In any case I don’t think 50m is especially notable. He’s very, very good for his age.