• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I've come round to it after seeing how stale the current system is (although it did throw up a Leicester). It would be good for players as the 70-game seasons would end, and it would probably kill off international football, which everyone hates anyway.

That said, I'm not seeing any evidence that this isn't just some chancer who's mailed his idea to Real Madrid.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
To talk of Arsenal 'fans' - how many of them are actual Arsenal through and through and how many have Arsenal as their 'English club'? Put them in the same league as Barca, Real etc and see who still cheers on Arsenal every week.
Likewise, to include those who support Arsenal within the EPL context and not give Ajax credit for the worldwide respect they have for their history and style is disingenuous. I'd wager in a Super League Ajax would be just as popular as Arsenal with International fans.
There might be a difference between "casual" football fans (not to imply the 1980s mod-inspired phenomenon) and more intense football fans. The former would watch the game at the weekends and keep up with the tables. At the same time, I doubt they'd know of Rinus Michels or van Gaal's Ajax side. More intense fans would probably follow the games, tables etc whilst also learning about the history of the game (and so will know of Total Football). What proportion these groups make up football fans I don't know. I suspect though that more casuals support Arsenal than Ajax, although that could change in a European Super League.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've come round to it after seeing how stale the current system is (although it did throw up a Leicester). It would be good for players as the 70-game seasons would end, and it would probably kill off international football, which everyone hates anyway.

That said, I'm not seeing any evidence that this isn't just some chancer who's mailed his idea to Real Madrid.
Yeah I'm with you on this one.

As much as I want Rangers to be dining at the top table again, the reality is if we were to ever get back to the group stages we'd get smashed to bits.

One of the reasons I've loved the Europa League run is that we're up against teams who we have a shot against. This will end after the group stages because we'll end up getting drawn against a good side who were too pish to carry on in the Champions League.

European competition without the super teams actually sounds quite appealing.

andmark

International Captain
Do the stats reflect a counter-attacking Liverpool or a genuinely dominant Arsenal performance pre-Milner goal?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Great pass from Iwobi for the goal there, wag

Good finish too

Not sure what keeper was up to mind you

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love the idea that it's unthinkable according to the commentators that a team which drew 0-0 at home to Napoli could be beating Liverpool at home.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I love the idea that it's unthinkable according to the commentators that a team which drew 0-0 at home to Napoli could be beating Liverpool at home.
The spanking in the last round must have left an impression.

Used to be absolutely standard that these teams were unbeatable at home and useless away, but hasn't really been like that for ages.

EDIT: Didn't Arsenal reserves win here last season?

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Liverpool have been out of full form despite it not showing in results. This result might fully show them not being up to last season's form attacking-wise. It might also be cause to dampen the spirits of some Arsenal fans who reacted to the weekend's draw as if it was a great result (Arsenal Fan TV seemed bad for that).

andmark

International Captain
Liverpool perhaps a bit lucky with the amount of draws in their group given that over two matches, a win and a loss get more points (3) than two draws (2). Napoli leading the group with the joint lowest points for group leaders (with three draws and six points) with Liverpool second (zero draws and six points). Third team PSG also have two draws with five points.