• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I have basically zero optimism for next season. I think our performances were probably worse this season than last, our best players are old or signing for Juventus, and every paper is saying we won't have much to spend this summer. I'm mainly hoping we pull off a couple of Gunedouzi like signings and that one or two of our academy lads turn out good then at least there could be things to build on in three years or so.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting debate on TalkSport as to whether the Premier League would continue to dominate the European trophies. To sum up "City with their money will stay on top in England but Pep will be gone in one more year and they won't reach the same heights." Liverpool have peaked this season". "Spurs will drop like a stone into mediocrity when Poch leaves and the team disintegrates". "Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are a shambles that need rebuilding from top to bottom". A bit of paraphrasing there and you have to read some with a Scottish accent. But I think the answer to the debate was "no they won't".

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting debate on TalkSport as to whether the Premier League would continue to dominate the European trophies. To sum up "City with their money will stay on top in England but Pep will be gone in one more year and they won't reach the same heights." Liverpool have peaked this season". "Spurs will drop like a stone into mediocrity when Poch leaves and the team disintegrates". "Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are a shambles that need rebuilding from top to bottom". A bit of paraphrasing there and you have to read some with a Scottish accent. But I think the answer to the debate was "no they won't".
It's not that easy to see who would overtake them. None of the big Italian, German, or Spanish teams feel like they're on the way up. I'd be very surprised if Liverpool and City aren't the two best teams in Europe next season, and the third best might be PSG.

morgieb

I do feel that the money in the EPL is simply too much to stop them being a massive force. Real Madrid/Barcelona will improve, but I feel that the rest of the world is behind them for the forseeable future.

And the Europa League could become a Premier League monopoly given how much money the smaller clubs have.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Next year two of the "smaller clubs" will be Arsenal and Man Utd. Both really need to take it seriously whether they like it or not. One bloke in the TalkSport debate said Arsenal will finish 11th next season.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's not that easy to see who would overtake them. None of the big Italian, German, or Spanish teams feel like they're on the way up. I'd be very surprised if Liverpool and City aren't the two best teams in Europe next season, and the third best might be PSG.
Yeah it's not like City and Liverpool are the best of a bad bunch this season, there's loads of clubs around Europe who are in a transitional phase.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have basically zero optimism for next season. I think our performances were probably worse this season than last, our best players are old or signing for Juventus, and every paper is saying we won't have much to spend this summer. I'm mainly hoping we pull off a couple of Gunedouzi like signings and that one or two of our academy lads turn out good then at least there could be things to build on in three years or so.
Yeah, it's not looking good.

At the moment the it really seems that the biggest prospect of success is to really hope that Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Willock, and Mavropanos suddenly turn out to be really good.

Uppercut

Yeah it's not like City and Liverpool are the best of a bad bunch this season, there's loads of clubs around Europe who are in a transitional phase.
Yeah I get that staying at the top is very difficult, but I wouldn’t assume they’ll fall back purely because most teams do, given that they’re neither getting old nor losing key personnel. They’re also likely to do the best transfer business this summer, because they’re far better at it than anyone else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Xhaka needs sold after his ****e in the press today about it being a good season if you ignore the last 5 games.

That's a ****ing terrible mentality.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Devastated. I loved little Jose. All the talent in the world. Was so excited when he signed and he started off like a house on fire.

Being kicked around Old Trafford by the Neville sisters broke him though. Was never the same player afterwards.

RIP mate, far too young to go.
Yeah, agreed. That said, he still put in some great performances in the final year at Highbury season, especially on the way to the CL final.

The lad had a great career, but more of it should have been at Arsenal. Probably the best player to wear the number 9 jersey for at least twenty years, if not more. (edit: apart from Laca, lol that I forgot him though).

The first of the invincibles to pass away. Terribly sad.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Was talking to Pothas about this game earlier, and how we watched this game together. He looked unplayable throughout, and an absolute banger of a goal.

vcs

Was talking to Pothas about this game earlier, and how we watched this game together. He looked unplayable throughout, and an absolute banger of a goal.
Arsenal started that season like a house on fire, shame that great team never managed to retain a title.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Made the cardinal mistake of never strengthening the defence/replacing Martin Keown.

Campbell was injured for more than 50% of Arsenal's prem matches, and it really showed. Cygan and Senderos in reserve did not cut it.

Ridiculous line up of attacking players when you think about it though. Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes, Van Persie. Young Cesc just coming through as well. It all should have been so much better than it turned out. Oh well.