• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

cpr

International Coach
Nah, the Pogba transfer was a farce, Juventus absolutely played United on that one. Basically trolled yourselves into signing Pogba no matter the cost.
In footballing terms, yeah. From the boards POV we've signed one of the best players in the world, got the star man the manager wants, and shown we can still come out on top against the other big clubs in transfer power. Given how rich we are, overpaying is less of an issue than it is for others, and worth it to make that statement.
The fact said manager then broke his new shiny toy isn't the boards doing (beyond not expecting a manager with this exact track record to do the same again......)

This is completely the board’s fault. Letting the manager run transfers is absolutely terrible.
True, and its because we've not known any better. We've sat back and smirked as so many other clubs adopted the DoF without any results to show for it, not realising just how much Fergie did everything for us. Now were without him and its slowly sinking in that we can't just trust one man with a vision without him proving he can do what the club needs him to within their parameters. We've basically been giving a bunch of office managers the CEO role on the side and wondering why the business is losing sales....

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Zidane would be a terrible choice, which makes me suspect that they'll do it.
I'm not so sure, it'd be a big PR positive and I think players immensely respect and admire him by default. He'll also get away from the strictness of Jose and let the players play football - that could be the best thing for United. Honestly, the squad is still good - not good enough to challenge I reckon but should be playing much better. When United win at under Mourinho, even consistently, you're not really convinced.

I agree with you re his tactical acumen, but in the short-term, I think United could do with him. Mourinho is looking like he's on his last legs, even if he squeaks top 4. Might as well make the switch ASAP before the season is lost.

Everyone points to his tactical backwardness but I think transfers is the area where Mourinho has been most superseded. Signing obviously-good players at their peak to fill clear holes in the squad was better than what most clubs were doing even in his second Chelsea spell. It's not going to cut it when Liverpool and City are nabbing 23-year-old future superstars in every position for £30m each.
Andrew Robertson was 8m :happy:

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This is completely the board’s fault. Letting the manager run transfers is absolutely terrible.
Yeah agree. The manager having total sovereignty over players signed is a nonsense in this day and age.

On an unrelated note, I thought Liverpool were excellent last night.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
They are stronger than last season, no? But can they pose a serious challenge to City who look so strong right now?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Liverpool have a great chance. Second favourites but not by as much as is commonly thought imo.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think Liverpool have a great chance. Second favourites but not by as much as is commonly thought imo.
This may not be based on anything concrete but I reckon Liverpool are still more prone to dropping stupid points which will cost them.

Uppercut

This may not be based on anything concrete but I reckon Liverpool are still more prone to dropping stupid points which will cost them.
Yeah there's never been a Liverpool team in my lifetime that this hasn't been true for. But it probably has to stop at some point. Almost every time I watch them I'm blown away by how good they are.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah there's never been a Liverpool team in my lifetime that this hasn't been true for. But it probably has to stop at some point. Almost every time I watch them I'm blown away by how good they are.
This may be a case of confirmation bias but I feel that Liverpool are particularly bad for losing randomly at home to newly promoted sides.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Just finished watching the game. Wolves are really well coached and execute their plans so well. Regardless of whether their goal should've stood, they were well worth the point. We miss KDB so much, he unlocks these kinds of defensive setups.

If Wolves keep getting the investment and hold onto Nuno they'll be top 6 challengers within a few years.

Uppercut

This is encouraging, but mostly because Spurs are our main rivals for 4th and look ****e.